The Student Room Group

Going to uni age 20? Is this old???

I dont know why this stresses me out so much but say if I decide to go to uni next september I will be 20, turning 21 that October and only in my first year. Is this going to be weird?

Scroll to see replies

Nope its not going to be "weird"
Reply 2
Original post by stereotypeasian
Nope its not going to be "weird"

I suppose I meant just unusual or that I'd be out of place amoungst a bunch of 18 yr olds, ahah
Original post by Anonymous
I suppose I meant just unusual or that I'd be out of place amoungst a bunch of 18 yr olds, ahah

think of it this way - you won't be the only 20ish year old
Nah you are normal.
Reply 5
I dont know why this stresses me out so much but say if I decide to go to uni next september I will be 20, turning 21 that October and only in my first year. Is this going to be weird?

No.

Not everyone goes to uni at 18. First time round for me, there were a few 50+ year olds in my history class. A lot were doing combined History & Archaology and managed the full 3 years no problem. 2nd time round... only about 1/3 of the people on my nursing degree were 18 when we started. Most were 25+, me included.

not weird lol. I'll be 19 cus I have a weird birthday... uhh and if I took a gap year I'd be 20. my dad went to uni at like age 30 cus he was in the army dw

No, what makes you think that? 2 years difference does not seriously matter.
Reply 8

Hey, I'm doing the same! Being a few weeks short of being classed as a mature student feels a bit weird, but I don't see it being an issue at all since I made great friends with third years at my last uni (dropped out after a term), so that's the same age difference with no worries :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by TheMightyKind

Original post by Interea
Hey, I'm doing the same! Being a few weeks short of being classed as a mature student feels a bit weird, but I don't see it being an issue at all since I made great friends with third years at my last uni (dropped out after a term), so that's the same age difference with no worries :biggrin:

Thats nice to know :smile: I also dropped out after a term which is why Im considering going back now!
Original post by TheMightyKind

I have a friend who said so, aha.
Hi there,

There are many individuals on my course that in their 20s, some even in their 30s! I don't think you should worry so much about your age as many people do the same as you and do a degree later in life. You aren't much older than those who start university after college so I don't think it would feel as though their was much of a difference between you and others!

Don't fret it too much :smile:

Toni,
Student Ambassador
Thats nice to know :smile: I also dropped out after a term which is why Im considering going back now!

Tbh, it doesn't matter even if you join years later. Everyone's life is different and it's very harsh to judge.

Ahhh yes sometimes it just takes a couple attempts to get the right fit for you :smile: Of my closest friends I think maybe 3 have ended up following the classic straight to uni approach, most of them are a year or two "behind" that so there probably won't be as many 18 year olds as we expect!

Hey anon!

I seriously wouldn't worry about this :smile:
Most people don't care about age at uni and there will be people your age there too!
Also don't forget about mature students that go to uni

Enjoy your time at uni!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
I did this :-)

I was sick during my A-levels so had to do them over three years. Then first time I tried to go to uni kept getting hospitalised...when I went back and did my proper first year I was 20 (21 in early Nov) had a great time and have made great friends that I still have seven years later! I'm now doing a masters and have started to make friends with 22 year-olds (I'm five-six years older) but then there's a woman in my course in her 40s/50s and her input and life experience is so valuable (we were discussing eating behaviour weight gain in pregnancy and post-partum - she was the only one of us who was really knowledgable about this).

Honestly, if you are a sociable, friendly person you'll make friends and fit in! I made friends despite not being able to go out most of the time (and Bristol uni is big on clubbing/ night life - most of the friends I made were party girls, despite not being able to do that, because that's who I would have been if I hadn't had the health stuff but they were happy to have more chilled nights with me when they needed to rest)! Also, one of my friends I made was the same age as me! She took a gap year then didn't like her course at the first uni she picked...two years older isn't that uncommon and there will be loads of people who are just one year younger (gap year students)!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by xfirekittyx
I did this :-)

I was sick during my A-levels so had to do them over three years. Then first time I tried to go to uni kept getting hospitalised...when I went back and did my proper first year I was 20 (21 in early Nov) had a great time and have made great friends that I still have seven years later! I'm now doing a masters and have started to make friends with 22 year-olds (I'm five-six years older) but then there's a woman in my course in her 40s/50s and her input and life experience is so valuable (we were discussing eating behaviour weight gain in pregnancy and post-partum - she was the only one of us who was really knowledgable about this).

Honestly, if you are a sociable, friendly person you'll make friends and fit in! I made friends despite not being able to go out most of the time (and Bristol uni is big on clubbing/ night life - most of the friends I made were party girls, despite not being able to do that, because that's who I would have been if I hadn't had the health stuff but they were happy to have more chilled nights with me when they needed to rest)! Also, one of my friends I made was the same age as me! She took a gap year then didn't like her course at the first uni she picked...two years older isn't that uncommon and there will be loads of people who are just one year younger (gap year students)!

Thankyou so much for this. Its good to know that life doesnt follow a straight path for everyone and see things from someone with perspective!

I really admire your strength to go back to education when as you say your health wasn't great too :smile:
This is literally not worth worrying about in the slightest, to be perfectly honest.

I'm 23 and nobody on my course even knows until they ask. Even then they don't care. You'll fit in just fine.

Hey Anonymous,

You're not the first person to have stressed about this and I'm sure you won't be the last! It is completely normal and at university, you really don't notice any difference. Some of my friends are 26/27 and you really can't tell the difference. I would try not to overthink it too much as it's really not an issue!

Hope this reassures you and please do let us know if you have any other questions.😊
From,

Amina
completely normal, I know lots of people who attended uni 30+ and I'll be starting next sept but I'll be 23. it really is fine and nothing weird. a lot of people take gaps years or work or change courses so they start the course while older

Quick Reply

Latest