The Student Room Group

how much is my dissertation going to affect my grade its worth 80 out of 160 credits

for this year I got a first. I think for the other modules I will also get first/seconds so if I do bad on my dissertation how badly will it affect my grade?
I am worried as my supervisor is really bad and I am not getting much support
It depends on if the credits are equally weighted or not.
Original post by Anonymous
for this year I got a first. I think for the other modules I will also get first/seconds so if I do bad on my dissertation how badly will it affect my grade?

Well it would be 50% of your grade if 160 credits count to the final classification and the disso is 80.

As to how will it effect it, well its all relative. As to how bad your score is compared to your average in other modules. But it also has the opportunity to raise your grade.

I must say 80 credits sounds quite large my undergrad one was 20 credits, and masters one was 60 credits.
Original post by Anonymous

Your uni should state the weightings and way your mark can be assessed. Not sure if it is for all unis, but there are 3 different ways we can be graded, with different weightings on 2nd/3rd year, making the disso more and less important. I got two 1sts last year, meaning if I want to get a first this year, I will have to get a 1st in my disso. However, if you have already got a first overall last year, you won't need as many other credits to be a 1st overall, however most people try and get a 1st in their dissertation because this is a big block of credits, double the amount of the other ones. Could you try and change dissertation supervisors? There should be a few you could change to if they are able to help and take on another, or try asking for more support in a polite way to your supervisor?

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Your uni should state the weightings and way your mark can be assessed. Not sure if it is for all unis, but there are 3 different ways we can be graded, with different weightings on 2nd/3rd year, making the disso more and less important. I got two 1sts last year, meaning if I want to get a first this year, I will have to get a 1st in my disso. However, if you have already got a first overall last year, you won't need as many other credits to be a 1st overall, however most people try and get a 1st in their dissertation because this is a big block of credits, double the amount of the other ones. Could you try and change dissertation supervisors? There should be a few you could change to if they are able to help and take on another, or try asking for more support in a polite way to your supervisor?

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:

Hi yes hopefully I will get my supervisor changed. She doesnt listen at all. She constantly ignores my emails :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending