The Student Room Group

Can you use drugs and still be successful?

By drugs I don't mean medicines but recreational drugs. My parents say that it's impossible to study/work while regularly taking cannabis, ecstasy, alcohol, benzos etc...

Now I'm an adult and I can make my decision but I'm wondering if their is some truth to this. I know many friends who take these drugs and are perfectly fine. My parents and extended family are a bit ill informed on drug use and believe cannabis will lead to addiction and homelessness (not talking about K2/synthetic cannabis).

I've heard that although drug use can be a very big slippery slope, the 'drugs lead to homelessness' is an example of confirmation bias. People see those devastated by drug use (homeless addicts) and assume that any drug use will lead to that when in reality, it's a minority.

I also think we have to distinguish between different types of drugs. Things like cannabis, and other psychedelics (mushrooms, LSD) are not addictive so long as you don't have underlying mental issues which can cause psychosis. Alcohol, I'm not sure. But opiates, benzos, cocaine, and amphetamines are definitely a no-no and too risky.

Scroll to see replies

I think it depends on how much you take, what drug it is and where you've got it from tbh. You have to be careful of how often you take it with how much there is if you need advice on it there are information videos on Youtube but I'm not an expert or anything this is just what I think would be suitable to follow.
Worked for me, 3 years of perfect grades *shrug*
Reply 3
Ive seen people I know personally's lives and families ruined from cannabis and other 'lesser' drugs. Im no expert and its clearly not as bad as other drugs but why even run the risk?
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Ive seen people I know personally's lives and families ruined from cannabis and other 'lesser' drugs. Im no expert and its clearly not as bad as other drugs but why even run the risk?

I would try it just cos i have a love form Jamaican culture even though i know its wrong:frown:

sorry foxy:redface:
Paul Erdos.
Original post by hijackedbrother
By drugs I don't mean medicines but recreational drugs. My parents say that it's impossible to study/work while regularly taking cannabis, ecstasy, alcohol, benzos etc...

Now I'm an adult and I can make my decision but I'm wondering if their is some truth to this. I know many friends who take these drugs and are perfectly fine. My parents and extended family are a bit ill informed on drug use and believe cannabis will lead to addiction and homelessness (not talking about K2/synthetic cannabis).

I've heard that although drug use can be a very big slippery slope, the 'drugs lead to homelessness' is an example of confirmation bias. People see those devastated by drug use (homeless addicts) and assume that any drug use will lead to that when in reality, it's a minority.

I also think we have to distinguish between different types of drugs. Things like cannabis, and other psychedelics (mushrooms, LSD) are not addictive so long as you don't have underlying mental issues which can cause psychosis. Alcohol, I'm not sure. But opiates, benzos, cocaine, and amphetamines are definitely a no-no and too risky.

Drugs are bad. Don't be a druggie. Say no to drugs.
Original post by Gundabad(good)
Drugs are bad. Don't be a druggie. Say no to drugs.

Omg you're back :rofl3: Hello
Original post by SuperiorPotato
Omg you're back :rofl3: Hello

Hello there :borat:
Hello there :borat:

I just noticed your profile pic :colonhash: So you've betrayed me like this
ofcourse you can, it just depends on which drugs you use and how much you abuse them. with cannabis for example its reasonably difficult to abuse it as long you as you dont live off it, with alcohol its very easy to abuse it and destroy your life over it so it all comes down to discipline. a lot of successful people take psychedelics as they have a lot of benefits
Original post by SuperiorPotato
I just noticed your profile pic :colonhash: So you've betrayed me like this

noot shoot.jpg(I support both sides now)
noot shoot.jpg(I support both sides now)

I- Alright then you support both sides :rolleyes:
Who thinks this is real?
Depends on many factors, but yes there is a chance that you can be. But also a possibility that though psychedelics aren't really addictive in general, that you would want them to escape (hence less focused), and the risk of habitual addiction. Also weed can make you feel quite lazy, unfocused and unmotivated.

Yes you won't necessarily have a problematic relationship with them if you go down that route, and maybe even enlightening with some, but try to be as neutral as possible and see both sides. Do not fall into conformation bias for the other side of the argument as well, though it is under-advocated.

And it is possible to be addicted to weed btw, it is not that harmless. I know someone who gets bad withdrawal symptoms when off it for a few hours.

I think you have a better chance at being successful despite use if you understand the risks fully and how to better evade falling into them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by LovelyMrFox

What do yo mean by ruined? I know you probably live in the UK but here in Ireland, there are many stories of people from teenagers to young adults who run up huge drug debts on cannabis/cocaine use from their drug dealers letting them off and then being asked for payment. When they can't pay the hundreds or thousands of euro, the drug dealer goes to the family home and threatens to bash the head of the parents and might throw a brick to smash all the windows.

Does that happen in England as well?
(edited 3 years ago)
What do you mean by ruined? I know you probably live in the UK but here in Ireland, there are many stories of people from teenagers to young adults who run up huge drug debts on cannabis/cocaine use from their drug dealers letting them off and then being asked for payment. When they can't pay the hundreds of thousands of euro, the drug dealer goes to the family home and threatens to bash the head of the parents and might throw a brick to smash all the windows.

Well you're either getting robbed, killed or blackmailed if you can't pay back your drug dealer. There's also the possibility of getting addicted, straining family ties and overdosing.
I don't know if it's a good idea...
Reply 17
have you seen or read The Wolf of Wall Street? i haven’t but know a little about the main character’s story and he was successful for a while but then it eventually ruined him. to echo above comments it depends on the drug tho, how often you use it, when you use it and in what dose. i doubt smoking weed before an exam or before driving a car would make one successful but probably can get away with it if they’re chilling at home on the weekend. i don’t know too much about drugs tho; i don’t even like taking headache medicine.
Reply 18
What do you mean by ruined? I know you probably live in the UK but here in Ireland, there are many stories of people from teenagers to young adults who run up huge drug debts on cannabis/cocaine use from their drug dealers letting them off and then being asked for payment. When they can't pay the hundreds of thousands of euro, the drug dealer goes to the family home and threatens to bash the head of the parents and might throw a brick to smash all the windows.

That too. I was speaking more about the family not wanting a stoner for a son/daughter and either kicking them out or cutting them off. Or if they dont cut them off, the strain it puts on the family.
Im from the US, not from England.
Original post by Joleee
have you seen or read The Wolf of Wall Street? i haven’t but know a little about the main character’s story and he was successful for a while but then it eventually ruined him. to echo above comments it depends on the drug tho, how often you use it, when you use it and in what dose. i doubt smoking weed before an exam or before driving a car would make one successful but probably can get away with it if they’re chilling at home on the weekend. i don’t know too much about drugs tho; i don’t even like taking headache medicine.

Yes I have seen its a good film to show people how drugs can ruining their lives and even die.

Quick Reply

Latest