The Student Room Group

Really worried about not being able to continue my Nursing course

Hey everyone.

I am looking for a bit of advice, i took a year out of my nursing course due to poor mental health, i was due to go back last year and then had to take a year off for maternity leave. I am going back to uni this week and have just found out i'm pregnant again which was unexpected and has put a bit of a spanner in the works. Im going to go back this week and just start the course but im scared to tell the uni im pregnant again in case they dont let me take anymore time off the course since ive already been away for two years. I would want to go back and do the course until im too pregnant to manage anymore but worry that i wouldnt be allowed to come back to the course again. Does anyone have any advice? The baby wasnt planned but i cant cope with the thought of an abortion but I also really need to finish this course and im worried ill have to terminate the pregnancy to do so.
Thanks in advance
Original post by Nursingstudent23
Hey everyone.

I am looking for a bit of advice, i took a year out of my nursing course due to poor mental health, i was due to go back last year and then had to take a year off for maternity leave. I am going back to uni this week and have just found out i'm pregnant again which was unexpected and has put a bit of a spanner in the works. Im going to go back this week and just start the course but im scared to tell the uni im pregnant again in case they dont let me take anymore time off the course since ive already been away for two years. I would want to go back and do the course until im too pregnant to manage anymore but worry that i wouldnt be allowed to come back to the course again. Does anyone have any advice? The baby wasnt planned but i cant cope with the thought of an abortion but I also really need to finish this course and im worried ill have to terminate the pregnancy to do so.
Thanks in advance

How far into the course are you?
Is there a father around?
Have you taken advice from the RCN?
https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/online-advice-form

As its only year 2 wouldnt it be wiser to raise the kids and then come back to it?
It is a tricky situation but I am not sure abortion is the right decision. Mostly because I am worried you will regret it later. Perhaps the solution is out there and you find it too late. I am not sure if you were assigned a personal/academic tutor? Speak to student services. Nursing will become physically demanding while pregnant and it is important you are supported as much as possible. See if there is a way you can continue the course, but adjust when you complete final modules. I have seen pregnancy affect the outcome of degree completion in 2 separate ways. Speak to the university and consider an appointment with a university counselor to talk through your fears while pursuing your degree.

Hope this was of some help x
I’m in my 3rd year of the course now but I’m sure that you have to complete it in 5 years, I started in 2015 so I’m worried they’ll not let me have maternity leave, I really don’t want to abort the baby but I’m worried I have no other option as I really have to finish the course for. I didn’t realise the RCN had an advice form, thank you so much, dad is around but works 3 nightshifts a week in a care home so it’ll be quite hard
Reply 4
Hey everyone.

Thanks in advance

Get advice from uni. I mean how on earth do you think you can complete year 3 with 2 babies to look after Also you want to be a nurse but cannot sort out contraception! Sorry to be harsh but you really need to tell uni asap or you may miss out on funding from SFE when you need it
Original post by Anonymous
It is a tricky situation but I am not sure abortion is the right decision. Mostly because I am worried you will regret it later. Perhaps the solution is out there and you find it too late. I am not sure if you were assigned a personal/academic tutor? Speak to student services. Nursing will become physically demanding while pregnant and it is important you are supported as much as possible. See if there is a way you can continue the course, but adjust when you complete final modules. I have seen pregnancy affect the outcome of degree completion in 2 separate ways. Speak to the university and consider an appointment with a university counselor to talk through your fears while pursuing your degree.

Hope this was of some help x

Thank you so much, I’m just worried that if I tell them I’m pregnant they’ll want me to make a decision now, I really don’t think I could cope with an abortion especially after having my first baby who has made my life a million times better, my only problem is you have a max of 5 years to complete the course I’m sure and I’ll be over that time limit, don’t think they care too much about the circumstances of why you’ve had to defer etc
Original post by Scotney
Get advice from uni. I mean how on earth do you think you can complete year 3 with 2 babies to look after Also you want to be a nurse but cannot sort out contraception! Sorry to be harsh but you really need to tell uni asap or you may miss out on funding from SFE when you need it

Wow thank you for showing such compassion... as I said it was unexpected - we were using protection, if you’ve not got anything helpful to say then why bother replying
Reply 7
Wow thank you for showing such compassion... as I said it was unexpected - we were using protection, if you’ve not got anything helpful to say then why bother replying

I did repost I did not see you were in year 3.Fact remains you need to tell them asap. Do not have an abortion for the course you would regret it I think. I think the uni would have to accommodate the pregnancy. Going back to contraception one pregnancy is an accident 2 is negligence. Whatever you are using is not being used correctly. Look at alternatives or doubling up condoms plus pill or implant.
Original post by Scotney
I did repost I did not see you were in year 3.Fact remains you need to tell them asap. Do not have an abortion for the course you would regret it I think. I think the uni would have to accommodate the pregnancy. Going back to contraception one pregnancy is an accident 2 is negligence. Whatever you are using is not being used correctly. Look at alternatives or doubling up condoms plus pill or implant.

First pregnancy wasn’t an accident, so no I’ve not been negligent but thank you for making assumptions I don’t need schooled in contraceptives and it’s really not helpful especially considering I’m already pregnant.
Speak to RCN advisors, look at their student team, contact to ur uni, speak to ur tutors and explain to them ur situation I am sure they will have to accommodate you... Don’t worry all will work out, please don’t abort the baby. Hope it gets easierx
Original post by Scotney

this is a very unnecessary comment.
didnt you say you started the course in 2015? so arent you already (or almost) over the time limit anyway? you’ll have to tell your uni. best outcome is they accommodate for you. however someone else also said it may be wise to just take time out and raise your kids for a few years and go back to it at a later date which might be worth considering? juggling a full time nursing course with two young children will be difficult.
Original post by MadameRazz
didnt you say you started the course in 2015? so arent you already (or almost) over the time limit anyway? you’ll have to tell your uni. best outcome is they accommodate for you. however someone else also said it may be wise to just take time out and raise your kids for a few years and go back to it at a later date which might be worth considering? juggling a full time nursing course with two young children will be difficult.

That is what I said and I stand by the rest.
Original post by Scotney
That is what I said and I stand by the rest.

no need to talk down to a woman about contraceptives buddy.
From what you've said, if your university won't allow you to continue, it seems like a good idea to have a break from studying while your children are young, and then go back into it later on down the line. You can always start from scratch if you need to, it's not the end of the world.
Hey, I'm in a similar situation to you - I'm in 3rd year of uni and I'm now 12 weeks pregnant which was also quite unexpected. Did you speak to the uni and make up your mind about what you want to do? I am really clueless about what I should do since on one hand the degree I'm studying is quit demanding, but then on the other, I wouldn't like to delay my study and would like to go to uni until a very late pregnancy but I don't know how manageable it will be.
Wishing you all the best x
Hey, I'm in a similar situation to you - I'm in 3rd year of uni and I'm now 12 weeks pregnant which was also quite unexpected. Did you speak to the uni and make up your mind about what you want to do? I am really clueless about what I should do since on one hand the degree I'm studying is quit demanding, but then on the other, I wouldn't like to delay my study and would like to go to uni until a very late pregnancy but I don't know how manageable it will be.
Wishing you all the best x

You should talk to your uni. The pregnancy itself will not stop you working, lots of women do work well into pregnancy. Are you doing nursing too as Covid obviously has risk factors if you are going to be on wards. Otherwise you will need to see how feasible it is to complete course and exams with a young baby. Do you have the support of a partner or family. It can be done but will need determination and back up.
Original post by Scotney
You should talk to your uni. The pregnancy itself will not stop you working, lots of women do work well into pregnancy. Are you doing nursing too as Covid obviously has risk factors if you are going to be on wards. Otherwise you will need to see how feasible it is to complete course and exams with a young baby. Do you have the support of a partner or family. It can be done but will need determination and back up.

Thank you for your response!
I am studying medicine, but this year I am doing intercalated BSc so there should be a bit less work than normally although still it's a respected uni in that field as well and the field itself isn't that easy, I don't think, but definitely less than in normal medical years. And since it's no medicine, there will be no clinical placements, so we are safe in that sense.
I will obviously talk to the uni, I just wanted to ask here first.
I have the support of my partner, but he's currently doing a master's degree in another city so although it's not very far away, he's gonna have accommodation there and won't be able to come too often. When it comes to the family, they live quite far away, however, my mum said that when the baby is born she will come to me and take care of it when I go to uni and stuff. Also my partner will be almost back in the city by then, so will be able to help more.
Thank you for your response!
I am studying medicine, but this year I am doing intercalated BSc so there should be a bit less work than normally although still it's a respected uni in that field as well and the field itself isn't that easy, I don't think, but definitely less than in normal medical years. And since it's no medicine, there will be no clinical placements, so we are safe in that sense.
I will obviously talk to the uni, I just wanted to ask here first.
I have the support of my partner, but he's currently doing a master's degree in another city so although it's not very far away, he's gonna have accommodation there and won't be able to come too often. When it comes to the family, they live quite far away, however, my mum said that when the baby is born she will come to me and take care of it when I go to uni and stuff. Also my partner will be almost back in the city by then, so will be able to help more.

I am glad you have back up and hopefully uni will be supportive. It will be a challenge as I said just keep up to date with work and start revision especially before baby arrives.
Congratulations by the way! :u:
Original post by Scotney
I am glad you have back up and hopefully uni will be supportive. It will be a challenge as I said just keep up to date with work and start revision especially before baby arrives.
Congratulations by the way! :u:

thank you! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest