The Student Room Group

Should I tell college I'm depressed

stuck.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ewpfs
So I'm 18 and in Yr13. I had a really hard time during lockdown due to mental health as well as family struggles. I told my PT this around April time as she wanted to know why I was behind on all my work, and I ran out of excuses and told the truth.

Anyway, she was great, set up counselling for me etc, and told me to go talk to her if I ever need help. So, after that, my counselling didn't last long (I had one session and then the counsellor quit, and so I was bumped to the bottom of the waiting list). I was feeling okay for a while, but now I've been feeling extremely down again - no motivation to do work, sometimes I get into class and just want to cry.

Is it worth me telling my PT? On one hand, this is exactly what she told me to tell her about, but also, I don't think there's much she could do for me. She can't get rid of my depression, she can't sort out my f'd up family. I'm stuck.

Look, I have the same problem as you. My family could not be worse. My childhood had horrible experiences I can’t mention and Im still stuck with them here! But there’s only one thing that keeps me motivated to work hard. Dont you wanna leave all those memories behind? All your “family” behind? Dont you wanna live new experiences with new (no toxic people)? well then FOCUS. Motivate yourself by saying “If i go to uni, I can have a great job, my own great house”. You will be in a healthy environment, your house with no toxic around. Just think how the future will be really good away from them. So my plan is to go to uni to do law, move on and be happy. If you dont focus and fail A Levels what are you gonna do?? You can’t stay with them when they are making you feel this way, you have to work to actually achieve this. What are your expectated grades? Did you apply to uni? Do u wanna go to or what you wanna do after?
I think you should tell them. They may not be able to do anything but if they know you have a valid reason why you're behind, they'll not be so hard on you.
Original post by ewpfs
So I'm 18 and in Yr13. I had a really hard time during lockdown due to mental health as well as family struggles. I told my PT this around April time as she wanted to know why I was behind on all my work, and I ran out of excuses and told the truth.

Anyway, she was great, set up counselling for me etc, and told me to go talk to her if I ever need help. So, after that, my counselling didn't last long (I had one session and then the counsellor quit, and so I was bumped to the bottom of the waiting list). I was feeling okay for a while, but now I've been feeling extremely down again - no motivation to do work, sometimes I get into class and just want to cry.

Is it worth me telling my PT? On one hand, this is exactly what she told me to tell her about, but also, I don't think there's much she could do for me. She can't get rid of my depression, she can't sort out my f'd up family. I'm stuck.
I think it's worth telling them, or maybe sorting out counselling outside of school. I'm in y13 too and my mental health has been up and down, if it's really affecting you, it's worth looking into talking to someone about it.
Original post by Anonymous
If you want to embarrass yourself then tell them. If you want to want to look like a normal mentally sane person then don’t

You sound incredibly insecure. There is nothing wrong with seeking support, what IS wrong is defining it as embarrassing.
I am insecure sometimes I admit but do I sit there and cry about my insecurities? no because I’m not a snowflake
and it is embarrassing because you can’t seek help and get arse licked all your life. I have been through this **** myself and I got told to stop being a pussy so I did

Did that work out well for you? Look at you, you're being so awful and very bitter you didn't get the support you needed
Original post by ewpfs
stuck.

Speak up!! Your PT may not be able to solve you're biggest issues, but talking about it alway helps. Even though it may feel scary, you can do it. I believe in you. Take everyday as it comes and just try your best. Sending you so much love and support
Did that work out well for you? Look at you, you're being so awful and very bitter you didn't get the support you needed

Yes it worked out very well for me because if people didn’t say that I would have ended up getting a counsellor or something that I would have been relying on to make me better and you cannot have that all your life
If you want to embarrass yourself then tell them. If you want to want to look like a normal mentally sane person then don’t

First of all. You are EXTREMELY wrong. You should be embarrassed of yourself for saying that.
First of all. You are EXTREMELY wrong. You should be embarrassed of yourself for saying that.

No I shouldn’t you cannot rely on them all your life, I didn’t have counselling but had a mentor who I spoke to every week at college and I relied on her then at some point she left and I couldn’t talk to her so that made me realise I have been 👅 someone’s arse which I was ashamed of. I’m ashamed and embarrassed to admit I had a mentor on here this why I’m on anon and my family was also ashamed of me
Reply 10

Thanks for the reply. This reply reeks of insecurity and self hatred, and I can tell from your other replies that you have your own issues that remain unaddressed. I’m sorry that you’ve been given such bad advice regarding mental health and mocked for your issues. I hope that you can get help one day. It would be a waste of a life if you spent it carrying around so much hatred and insecurity. Best of luck to you, and remember, mental health struggles are valid. :smile:
Original post by ewpfs
Thanks for the reply. This reply reeks of insecurity and self hatred, and I can tell from your other replies that you have your own issues that remain unaddressed. I’m sorry that you’ve been given such bad advice regarding mental health and mocked for your issues. I hope that you can get help one day. It would be a waste of a life if you spent it carrying around so much hatred and insecurity. Best of luck to you, and remember, mental health struggles are valid. :smile:

I am insecure like I told another I cope with them myself apart from now if you think I’m projecting them onto you also if you want to tell your college then do your thing because I’m some random person irrelevant person on the internet but all I’m saying is you can’t have someone 👅 your arse all your life
Yes it worked out very well for me because if people didn’t say that I would have ended up getting a counsellor or something that I would have been relying on to make me better and you cannot have that all your life

you literally don't even know how counselling works do you? anyway I think your in the worst position here because you are so angry and bitter for no reason at all I can only hope you one day start to grow up and get yourself into a good place so you can stop spewing hate on people you've never met
you literally don't even know how counselling works do you? anyway I think your in the worst position here because you are so angry and bitter for no reason at all I can only hope you one day start to grow up and get yourself into a good place so you can stop spewing hate on people you've never met

No but ok
Reply 14
I am insecure like I told another I cope with them myself apart from now if you think I’m projecting them onto you also if you want to tell your college then do your thing because I’m some random person irrelevant person on the internet but all I’m saying is you can’t have someone 👅 your arse all your life

Thank you for your reply. Best of luck with your journey. I hope you can stop caring about what your family thinks and get the help you need/want. Best of luck to you. :smile:
Original post by ewpfs
Thank you for your reply. Best of luck with your journey. I hope you can stop caring about what your family thinks and get the help you need/want. Best of luck to you. :smile:

You to and tell your college what you want but remember you can’t ass lick all your life for someone to hold your hand
anyway good look
I am insecure sometimes I admit but do I sit there and cry about my insecurities? no because I’m not a snowflake
and it is embarrassing because you can’t seek help and get arse licked all your life. I have been through this **** myself and I got told to stop being a pussy so I did

That's fantastic but being told to "get over it" will not work for everyone. Otherwise depression and mental illness could be cured just like that, wow! Amazing! Everyone is different and if you sorted yourself out, that's good, but everyone has different needs and if you've been there yourself, perhaps try to be a little more understanding and sensitive as to why it may be difficult for others to reach out.
That's fantastic but being told to "get over it" will not work for everyone. Otherwise depression and mental illness could be cured just like that, wow! Amazing! Everyone is different and if you sorted yourself out, that's good, but everyone has different needs and if you've been there yourself, perhaps try to be a little more understanding and sensitive as to why it may be difficult for others to reach out.

Well at first it was like that for me I had a mentor but I then left college so had no one then I had to realise I can’t have them holding my hand anymore and when I went back to college the mentor was ill so had to have a few mentors that who one laughed at me and wasn’t “understanding” so now I realise you can’t rely on mentors all your life you’ve got to get on with it
No I shouldn’t you cannot rely on them all your life, I didn’t have counselling but had a mentor who I spoke to every week at college and I relied on her then at some point she left and I couldn’t talk to her so that made me realise I have been 👅 someone’s arse which I was ashamed of. I’m ashamed and embarrassed to admit I had a mentor on here this why I’m on anon and my family was also ashamed of me

You still wrong. Is not about relying on them. It’s about them offering you help in lessons because they know of the problem. It’s about them speaking to you when they feel something wrong it’s happening. Obviously if the teacher leaves she is not gonna be able to talk to you anymore. Why? Because she is not part of your scholar center anymore. If you dont tell them, they will never give you help because they will think you just dont wanna do the work. Is not about having an excuse, its about having a reason. I had a mentor to and left school and never talk to her anymore. And the main reason its because I moved to other school. Your mentor can’t hear her last students and her current students at the same time. You were not someone arse, she was your listener, that’s her job. And her job moved somewhere else. You can say your opinion about it obviously, but I just have another opinion about this topic.

Quick Reply

Latest