The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

A level grades

When it says A*AA to AAA what does that actually mean. I am predicted AAA, have 5x 9s and 4x 8s at Gcse. Am I likely you get an offer or will everyone get A*AA
It depends on how competitive the course is tbh. If they ask for A*AA they may give you a conditional offer for if you do better than your predicted, they may give you a lower offer.
What subject is it?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by GabiAbi84
It depends on how competitive the course is tbh. If they ask for A*AA they may give you a conditional offer for if you do better than your predicted, they may give you a lower offer.
What subject is it?

Thank you. I am looking at business economics. It just seems every economics course asks for A*AA! Are there really that many people that get those grades!
Original post by Andrew763481
Thank you. I am looking at business economics. It just seems every economics course asks for A*AA! Are there really that many people that get those grades!

The AAA could be a contextual offer ... which unis are you looking at?
Original post by Muttley79
The AAA could be a contextual offer ... which unis are you looking at?

Exeter, Bath, Warwick, Bristol and Loughborough
Reply 5
You should ask your school to up your predicted grade if you think you can get that and it’s what you need.
Original post by Niice
You should ask your school to up your predicted grade if you think you can get that and it’s what you need.

No - that is foolish - the OP might end up in clearing. I am held to account for my predictions and there's no way I will raise them
Reply 7
No - that is foolish - the OP might end up in clearing. I am held to account for my predictions and there's no way I will raise them

Sorry what do you mean? If he’s applying to unis which require an A*AA there’s no downside to having those grades as his predicted.
Exeter, Bath, Warwick, Bristol and Loughborough

Exeter's contextual offer is BBB so the grade range just reflects what you might be offered depending how strong your application is. Have you explored the websites in detail because I found this out quite quickly ...
Original post by Niice
Sorry what do you mean? If he’s applying to unis which require an A*AA there’s no downside to having those grades as his predicted.

Of course there is - if her gets that as an offer and doesn't meet it he'll be in clearing - so pointless!

If I predict an A* and the student does not get that then I have to justify why I gave that prediction and what I did to make sure they achieved my prediction ... I'm not going to predict an A* for just anyone am I?
Exeter's contextual offer is BBB so the grade range just reflects what you might be offered depending how strong your application is. Have you explored the websites in detail because I found this out quite quickly ...

Yes I have looked really closely. I go to a really good school so I won't be eligible for a contextual offer. My school are saying there is no point in applying to a uni asking for A*AA if my predicted are AAA. Really annoying they won't put predicted up as I was 1% of A* in mock and got a 9 at gcse
Yes I have looked really closely. I go to a really good school so I won't be eligible for a contextual offer. My school are saying there is no point in applying to a uni asking for A*AA if my predicted are AAA. Really annoying they won't put predicted up as I was 1% of A* in mock and got a 9 at gcse

It is worth applying to Exeter as you are in range .... you could chose 2 or 3 like that then have a couple a bit lower.

I did a search on AAA and these came up:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/search/course?utf8=%E2%9C%93&c%5Bq%5D=business+economics&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_0%5D=2&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_1%5D=2&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_2%5D=2&c%5Blower_points_bound%5D=132&c%5Bupper_points_bound%5D=156
It is worth applying to Exeter as you are in range .... you could chose 2 or 3 like that then have a couple a bit lower.

I did a search on AAA and these came up:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/search/course?utf8=%E2%9C%93&c%5Bq%5D=business+economics&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_0%5D=2&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_1%5D=2&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_2%5D=2&c%5Blower_points_bound%5D=132&c%5Bupper_points_bound%5D=156

Thank you
When it says A*AA to AAA what does that actually mean. I am predicted AAA, have 5x 9s and 4x 8s at Gcse. Am I likely you get an offer or will everyone get A*AA

Hi @Andrew763481,

At Exeter various programmes advertise a grade range. This just indicates that typically students who receive an offer from us have predicted grades within that range. If you like the look of our course then your application would be considered as you have predicted grades within our advertised grade range.

It is good advice from Mutley79 to consider applying to 5 courses/institutions with a range of entry grade requirements so that you have a good range of options to choose form when deciding on which to put as firm and insurance. I would often advise prospective students to do this to take off some of the pressure, ensuring that they are all courses that they would like to study.

Hope this helps- good luck with your decision making and application! Do let me know if you have any further questions I can help with.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Hey, I applied to both Bath & Warwick for Economics :smile: I think that with AAA, you stand a better chance at getting into Bath as everyone who applied to Oxbridge for Economics/E&M applied to Warwick for Economics too, so it's hella competitive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending