The Student Room Group

Reduced self-esteem manifesting itself in promiscuity?

So,

this is a bit awkward.
I've been suffering a lot with mental health and I've started engaging in promiscuous behaviour. I've never been like this before but recently I've started sending risky nudes and meeting up with guys I barely know.

I sent some extremely disgusting videos today to a bunch of guys I barely know. I look back on it and I'm actually disgusted in myself. I don't know why I did it but the encouragement led me to go further and further in degrading myself.

Those videos and images are out there. I did crop them so it only had the lower half of my face but I pretty much made a videos for these random guys and I'm scared that this might get out there. I'm in university and I'm worried about what this might mean for my career/place at university.

Any advice on this?
Reply 1
I should make it clear that my main concern is that I keep doing it and that I'm worried that this will put my future career at risk if these get out :/
Original post by Anonymous
So,

this is a bit awkward.
I've been suffering a lot with mental health and I've started engaging in promiscuous behaviour. I've never been like this before but recently I've started sending risky nudes and meeting up with guys I barely know.

I sent some extremely disgusting videos today to a bunch of guys I barely know. I look back on it and I'm actually disgusted in myself. I don't know why I did it but the encouragement led me to go further and further in degrading myself.

Those videos and images are out there. I did crop them so it only had the lower half of my face but I pretty much made a videos for these random guys and I'm scared that this might get out there. I'm in university and I'm worried about what this might mean for my career/place at university.

Any advice on this?

Yes its start of a dangerous path down and doesnt end well. Go and see the GP and get some counselling to help you id the low self esteem, whats causing it and actions you can take to stabilise, then improve. You need to be careful it doesnt get round uni, but also you dont mess up your degree. Sounds like you are doing things v short term and to get attention, but are risking serious consequences and extended unhappiness.
Seek therapy. Stop sending riske nudes if it causes you distress afterwards. You can contact the guys and ask them to delete the videos and images but they will probably lie to you and say they have but still keep them. And it wont affect any future careers, unless you decide to become a politician you will be fine.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Yes its start of a dangerous path down and doesnt end well. Go and see the GP and get some counselling to help you id the low self esteem, whats causing it and actions you can take to stabilise, then improve. You need to be careful it doesnt get round uni, but also you dont mess up your degree. Sounds like you are doing things v short term and to get attention, but are risking serious consequences and extended unhappiness.

Yeah, I know. None of them are linked to my university but I'm worried that the videos might end up on weird sites in the future. But my face isn't fully in them.
Yeah, I know. None of them are linked to my university but I'm worried that the videos might end up on weird sites in the future. But my face isn't fully in them.

Then you can get the videos taken down if it comes to that. Try to forget about it and move on. Just seek professional help first and try to avoid doing it again because you know that it causes your stress.
Reply 6
Original post by jacobf91
Seek therapy. Stop sending riske nudes if it causes you distress afterwards. You can contact the guys and ask them to delete the videos and images but they will probably lie to you and say they have but still keep them. And it wont affect any future careers, unless you decide to become a politician you will be fine.

I don't really know the guys. They were a bunch of a friend of a friends and they owe me no loyalty. That's good to know, thank you.
Reply 7
Original post by jacobf91
Then you can get the videos taken down if it comes to that. Try to forget about it and move on. Just seek professional help first and try to avoid doing it again because you know that it causes your stress.

yeah, it's just people knowing I did that. But thanks for the advice.

Then dont worry about them, but it would make sense to stop doing them.
You dont know these people and some are not nice.
You need to try and look after yourself to make decisions which are actually in your own interest rather than going on a self destructive or needy low self esteem crash dive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=self+esteem&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Hidden-Chimp-author-Paradox/dp/1787413713/ref=sr_1_2?crid=JXHORG65I66M&dchild=1&keywords=steve+peters+chimp+paradox+book&qid=1603929785&sprefix=steve+peters%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-2

Quick Reply

Latest