The Student Room Group

What universities give a dark academia vibes for medicine?

What universities give dark academia vibes for medicine?
(except for Oxford and Cambridge)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 15mohsinfa
What universities give dark academia vibes for medicine?
(except for Oxford and Cambridge)

First of all, I love you for asking, secondly, I’m in Y13 applying for law so I’m looking for that vibe too. The University of Manchester, Leeds and Cardiff look fantastic in addition to Durham however I’m not sure on their ability or proficiency in medicine.
Reply 2
Original post by Stephen Mark
First of all, I love you for asking, secondly, I’m in Y13 applying for law so I’m looking for that vibe too. The University of Manchester, Leeds and Cardiff look fantastic in addition to Durham however I’m not sure on their ability or proficiency in medicine.

lol literally I only care about the vibe and not the rest, I glad I am not the only one that thinks like that!

But good luck with your law studies!
Reply 3
Like a church..? Idk how to explain it, but pretty much old/ancient and like oxford?
I’m so confused right not. And also shocked, like I would value the actual reputation of the course and the strengths of the course over what vibe the uni gives. Of course it’s good to want to go to a uni you will enjoy attending, but take into account the reputation of the course etc
I don’t think the phrase β€œdark academia” has been used in the right context here...
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous17!
I’m so confused right not. And also shocked, like I would value the actual reputation of the course and the strengths of the course over what vibe the uni gives. Of course it’s good to want to go to a uni you will enjoy attending, but take into account the reputation of the course etc

I get what you're saying but I hate living in a box-like and very futuristic, sleek, glass buildings. I don't hate it but I need trees and ancient-looking buildings to living, obviously, the course structure is very important for me but moving a lot and between different countries has made me quite adaptable to change and I don't really mind the course that much rather than the environment. Also, I am heavily influenced by Gilmore girls and Hogwarts XD
Reply 7
Original post by CaptainDuckie
I don’t think the phrase β€œdark academia” has been used in the right context here...

Wdym? How else could I explain it?
I think everybody needs to calm down and trust that a medicine applicant is more than able and has done their university research in terms of what they’d like course-wise and is simply wanting to connect with others via an old English genre in which they can wear jumpers, turtle-necks and read poetry whilst studying the etymology of words in solace. *insert indifferent emoji*
lol literally I only care about the vibe and not the rest, I glad I am not the only one that thinks like that!

But good luck with your law studies!

Quite literally indeed, and the best of luck with yours mon chΓ©ri.
I think everybody needs to calm down and trust that a medicine applicant is more than able and has done their university research in terms of what they’d like course-wise and is simply wanting to connect with others via an old English genre in which they can wear jumpers, turtle-necks and read poetry whilst studying the etymology of words in solace. *insert indifferent emoji*

Lol this make me crack up a little and made me so heart-warmed and happy that someone understands, and thank you for your sweet comment : )
Quite literally indeed, and the best of luck with yours mon chΓ©ri.

Merci beaucoup! :h:
Lol this make me crack up a little and made me so heart-warmed and happy that someone understands, and thank you for your sweet comment : )

Of course, even when trying to reach out to people we end up finding our way back to a minority of dark academics πŸ™ƒ We’re two ends of an ever differing spectrum in some sense, nevertheless if you need a chat or book recommendation feel free to message me.

Durham is so overrated - once you are there you will realise that other than a cathedral and a small castle there are hardly any other major old buildings. Also, the collegiate system they have is nothing more than a glorified halls of residence. Certainly if you end up at a modern college (i.e. the majority of them), then it will be just like being in a halls of residence. The only plus side to this university is that it has a very good reputation with employers, partly because it attracts high calibre students who like to download domestic league tables, and once they are there they complain that Durham has no international recognition.
Medical degree is a medical degree where you study it doesn't matter as you'll be taught the same.
Original post by themagics1992
Medical degree is a medical degree where you study it doesn't matter as you'll be taught the same.

Always nice to go to a top school like Bristol if possible. Nice learning environment.
Erm, I guess I can only suggest attending a (virtual) open day :dontknow:

Original post by themagics1992

That is not true at all medicine is a very varied course.
Original post by nexttime
Erm, I guess I can only suggest attending a (virtual) open day :dontknow:

That is not true at all medicine is a very varied course.

point was you'll graduate with the same.
Original post by CaptainDuckie

It hasnt. So far this thread has been hurting my head lol. Im so lost rn
Original post by tbi_zlx
It hasnt. So far this thread has been hurting my head lol. Im so lost rn

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Quick Reply

Latest