The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Chances of getting into Warwick

Hello,

I'm thinking of applying to Warwick for Politics, International Studies and Hispanic Studies. My predicted is A*BBC (A* for Spanish) and I also got top in my country for Spanish at GCSE. However, the entry requirements are AAB and I'm scared I won't even get an offer from Warwick. Do you guys think I would have a chance and is it true that an A*BB offer is equivalent to an AAB offer (from what my friends have told me). I'm also fairly sure I can get above my predicted but I'm scared I won't get an offer. Can you guys be brutally honest as to what you guys think.

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by malditabusador
1) I'm thinking of applying to Warwick for Politics, International Studies and Hispanic Studies. My predicted is A*BBC (A* for Spanish) and I also got top in my country for Spanish at GCSE. However, the entry requirements are AAB and I'm scared I won't even get an offer from Warwick.

2) Is it true that an A*BB offer is equivalent to an AAB offer

1) Firstly, think about dropping the 'C' subject. No University wants more than 3 subjects, and if that subject is holding you back from achieving higher grades in the other three subjects, its pointless continuing with it. Yes, some Universities will look at 'one grade below', but not always, so this is a risky choice. This is okay as long as you prepare yourself for No. Make sure your other 4 choices are more realistic - ABB, and at least one below those grades.

2) No. If a University asks for specific grades, that is what they want. The 'equivalent' idea only applies where University ask for UCAS points rather than specific grades. Warwick want AA in two subjects, and you currently dont meet this - this is why its a risky choice.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
A*BB is technically equivalent to AAB but if Warwick are saying they want specific grades, then A*BB probably won’t count. Tbh i don’t see why you shouldn’t apply just because you haven’t met the requirements with your predicted grades, there is still a very good chance that you’ll get an offer but just make sure that some of your other choices are a bit more realistic just in case. Of course you know this but if you do get an offer which requires AAB, you achieving A*BB doesn’t necessarily mean you will get accepted. Also, is there any reason that you’re doing 4 subjects? if i were you, it would be a lot better to focus on the main three and get really high grades in those - that’s completely up to you tho and you should decide whether there is actually any point of you taking 4 A levels. Good luck with your application! :smile:

Also - if it makes you feel any better, i applied to Kings college (asking for A*AB but i’m predicted AAB) but i’ve just mentally prepared myself that there is a good chance i’ll get rejected. All my other option require AAB-BBB!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by McGinger
1) Firstly, think about dropping the 'C' subject. No University wants more than 3 subjects, and if that subject is holding you back from achieving higher grades in the other three subjects, its pointless continuing with it. Yes, some Universities will look at 'one grade below', but not always, so this is a risky choice. This is okay as long as you prepare yourself for No. Make sure your other 4 choices are more realistic - ABB, and at least one below those grades.

2) No. If a University asks for specific grades, that is what they want. The 'equivalent' idea only applies where University ask for UCAS points rather than specific grades. Warwick want AA in two subjects, and you currently dont meet this - this is why its a risky choice.

Thank you so much for the quick replies! I also heard that Warwick gives out a lot of offers but isn't lenient if you get one grade below on results day, do you happen to know wether this true or not?
Thank you so much for the quick replies! I also heard that Warwick gives out a lot of offers but isn't lenient if you get one grade below on results day, do you happen to know wether this true or not?

This is definitely true for competitive courses - i’m applying for maths and i didn’t even bother applying to Warwick because i know their maths department is one of the best in the world so i would get rejected straight away. But maybe your course isn’t too competitive so they could be a little bit lenient.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by izzxm
A*BB is technically equivalent to AAB but if Warwick are saying they want specific grades, then A*BB probably won’t count. Tbh i don’t see why you shouldn’t apply just because you haven’t met the requirements with your predicted grades, there is still a very good chance that you’ll get an offer but just make sure that some of your other choices are a bit more realistic just in case. Of course you know this but if you do get an offer which requires AAB, you achieving A*BB doesn’t necessarily mean you will get accepted. Also, is there any reason that you’re doing 4 subjects? if i were you, it would be a lot better to focus on the main three and get really high grades in those - that’s completely up to you tho and you should decide whether there is actually any point of you taking 4 A levels. Good luck with your application! :smile:

Also - if it makes you feel any better, i applied to Kings college (asking for A*AB but i’m predicted AAB) but i’ve just mentally prepared myself that there is a good chance i’ll get rejected. All my other option require AAB-BBB!

Thank you so much, made me feel a lot better !

It would depend on subject and how well all the other Firm offer holders do on Results Day.
Only if there are spaces left on the course would Warwick then look at 'near misses'.
No-one can predict that in advance.
Hello,

I'm thinking of applying to Warwick for Politics, International Studies and Hispanic Studies. My predicted is A*BBC (A* for Spanish) and I also got top in my country for Spanish at GCSE. However, the entry requirements are AAB and I'm scared I won't even get an offer from Warwick. Do you guys think I would have a chance and is it true that an A*BB offer is equivalent to an AAB offer (from what my friends have told me). I'm also fairly sure I can get above my predicted but I'm scared I won't get an offer. Can you guys be brutally honest as to what you guys think.

"Scared" is the wrong attitude. What is wrong with a rejection? What of substance do you lose by being rejected? Nothing.

Also consider what chance you have of getting in if you don't apply.
Outside of their headline courses, (CompSci, Maths, Economics etc), I suspect Warwick are as lenient as most other comparable unis. I think you would have a fair chance of being accepted even with A*BB achieved, but as others have said, there is a risk and it is dependant on how many spaces they have left which no one can predict.

I always tell people that the objective at this stage is not to get five offers, and that they should be a bit ambitious with at least one choice.
Drop the subject you are getting a C in, there's no point doing 4 A-levels, which means you can dedicate your time to 3. Go to one of the teachers whose subject you have been predicted a B in and ask for it to be increased to an A.
Hello,

Hi, the only thing that concerns me is that sometimes universities don't accept A level in native language, so technically you actually got BBC, which is a quite far shot for universities such as Warwick. Also, are you from West Yorkshire? Because I have one student in my sixth form with exactly the same grades and A* in Spanish, it might be you Idk lol.
Original post by maven2k
Hi, the only thing that concerns me is that sometimes universities don't accept A level in native language, so technically you actually got BBC, which is a quite far shot for universities such as Warwick. Also, are you from West Yorkshire? Because I have one student in my sixth form with exactly the same grades and A* in Spanish, it might be you Idk lol.

Hello, noooo I'm an international student and I have German nationality, I hope Warwick still sees my A* as a real grade tho
There has been a move to accept native languages across the board, so that in itself wouldn't concern me. However depending on the course, sometimes they are not suitable for a native speaker of that language, as they are taught from a beginner or near-beginner level.
Oh, ok :laugh:. Yeah, they will if it's not your native language. One of my friends got accepted with BBB for computer science at Warwick, so I think you have good chances :smile:

Hello, noooo I'm an international student and I have German nationality, I hope Warwick still sees my A* as a real grade tho
Original post by Admit-One
There has been a move to accept native languages across the board, so that in itself wouldn't concern me. However depending on the course, sometimes they are not suitable for a native speaker of that language, as they are taught from a beginner or near-beginner level.

Ah, that's great. I got an A* in Russian so I hope it will worth anything :smile:
Original post by maven2k
Hi, the only thing that concerns me is that sometimes universities don't accept A level in native language,

Now deemed inappropriate by most University admissions - it has hints of racism - so usually the question is not asked.
And, there is a great deal more to a language A level than just speaking the language. Its not a push over even if it is a mother-tongue - I've seen plenty of people still get lower grades.

Quick Reply

Latest