The Student Room Group

Can you still go to Uni if you are unable to pay the full £9,250 tuition fees?

So basically we are not rich :/ and my mum is saving up for me to go to Uni and my dad is planning on selling his land in his home country. However, the uni course I wanna do lasts 5 years(with placement year) and the overall tuition fees are £38,850. Is there like a scholarship I can work towards or Bursary I can apply for that would help us out here? I'm in year 12 but I'm trying to get the uni concerns and problems out of the way early so it doesn't stress me out in year 13 or it's summer

Scroll to see replies

Are you a UK citizen? If so then you would be able to get a tuition fee loan from the government
Reply 2
Scholarships and bursaries vary from uni to uni. It would probably be worth looking into uni’s you’re interested in & whether you’re eligible for any financial assistance.
Original post by ReadingMum
Are you a UK citizen? If so then you would be able to get a tuition fee loan from the government

There are other requirements too - being a UK citizen alone is not sufficient, unfortunately.
Original post by mojin
So basically we are not rich :/ and my mum is saving up for me to go to Uni and my dad is planning on selling his land in his home country. However, the uni course I wanna do lasts 5 years(with placement year) and the overall tuition fees are £38,850. Is there like a scholarship I can work towards or Bursary I can apply for that would help us out here? I'm in year 12 but I'm trying to get the uni concerns and problems out of the way early so it doesn't stress me out in year 13 or it's summer

Do you qualify for home fees?

What is your immigration status in the UK?
How long have you lived in the UK?
Reply 5

Yeah I am and from what I've heard, are tuition fee loans just the Gov paying for your tuition fees until you're out of uni, in which case you have to pay back the loan after you've secured a job?
Reply 6
Original post by moosec
Scholarships and bursaries vary from uni to uni. It would probably be worth looking into uni’s you’re interested in & whether you’re eligible for any financial assistance.

Alright, ty
Reply 7
Original post by RogerOxon
Do you qualify for home fees?

What is your immigration status in the UK?
How long have you lived in the UK?

I'm not too sure, ik our family has child benefits and went to our secondary school on a bursary so I presume so?
For the last 2, I was born and raised in the UK, so I would be a UK citizen since birth.
If you’re a UK citizen, you can apply for a maintenance and tuition loan. People who come from families who aren’t finically well off can get the max loan, which means full tuition fee paid and about £7K-£8K of maintenance loan. You can use their calculator to estimate how much you could be entitled to.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Original post by mojin
Yeah I am and from what I've heard, are tuition fee loans just the Gov paying for your tuition fees until you're out of uni, in which case you have to pay back the loan after you've secured a job?

yes that is true - they are loans that you need to start paying back once you earn over the threshold (currently £26,565). You pay 9% of the amount you earn over that threshold
Original post by mojin
I'm not too sure, ik our family has child benefits and went to our secondary school on a bursary so I presume so?
For the last 2, I was born and raised in the UK, so I would be a UK citizen since birth.

In that case you will qualify for student loans, with your fees being paid and you receiving a maintenance loan of varying amounts depending on income of your household. The fees are paid so your only issue is the maintenance loan which could be as low as c£4k. You should ensure you get that amount up so you have enough to live on.

Btw I am assuming youve lived in the Uk for the last 2-3 years?
Original post by mojin

Being born in the UK is not sufficient to be a British citizen. Do you have a UK passport?

I don't know all the rules, but you do need to look into it very carefully. Paying international fees isn't fun - ask me how I know.
Original post by Anonymous17!
If you’re a UK citizen, you can apply for a maintenance and tuition loan.

That is not true - you *may* be able to, but there are other requirements. For example, you have to have been resident in the UK for the last 3 years.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by 999tigger
In that case you will qualify for student loans, with your fees being paid and you receiving a maintenance loan of varying amounts depending on income of your household. The fees are paid so your only issue is the maintenance loan which could be as low as c£4k. You should ensure you get that amount up so you have enough to live on.

Btw I am assuming youve lived in the Uk for the last 2-3 years?

Oh okay, and yeah for the last 16 years.
Reply 14
Being born in the UK is not sufficient to be a British citizen. Do you have a UK passport?

I don't know all the rules, but you do need to look into it very carefully. Paying international fees isn't fun - ask me how I know.

Yep, I got a UK passport. And yikes yeah, international fees are disgustingly high!
Original post by mojin
Yep, I got a UK passport. And yikes yeah, international fees are disgustingly high!

As long as your passport says "British citizen" and you've lived in the UK for the last 3 years (before your course start date), you should qualify for both home fees and a student loan.
Reply 16
yes that is true - they are loans that you need to start paying back once you earn over the threshold (currently £26,565). You pay 9% of the amount you earn over that threshold

Oh okay, so im guessing the student loans are paid back in the same way you pay taxes? Like the 20% tax VAT(I'm not sure how they work, the education system doesn't teach us this lol), when you get paid I presume, the loan gets paid back as well at the same time. If that makes sense?
Original post by mojin

Once you're out of uni, you only pay back your tuition fees if your job pays above the threshold, which I believe is 25kish(?). You don't pay back the fees for the first 25k you earn a year, and then it works like tax - each year you pay back a percentage of your earnings above 25k. This isn't very much considering, I believe 9% - there are calculators to work this out online. No one pays their student loans in full unless they're very well off. You don't have to pay your loan back after 30 years.
Reply 18
As long as your passport says "British citizen" and you've lived in the UK for the last 3 years (before your course start date), you should qualify for both home fees and a student loan.

Oh okay, that's cool. Thanks!
Reply 19
Original post by RambleAmple
Once you're out of uni, you only pay back your tuition fees if your job pays above the threshold, which I believe is 25kish(?). You don't pay back the fees for the first 25k you earn a year, and then it works like tax - each year you pay back a percentage of your earnings above 25k. This isn't very much considering, I believe 9% - there are calculators to work this out online. No one pays their student loans in full unless they're very well off. You don't have to pay your loan back after 30 years.

Alright, I got it, thank you very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending