The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

John Snow 2021

Hi guys! I thought I'd make this thread to get to know ppl early!

Icebreakers!
What Course are u applying to! - Im doing CombSoc sci in Geo and English with some socio/political stuff as well

Why did u pick John Snow! - I liked the accommodation, wanted to self cater and liked the idea of living with 5 other friends! It also seemed rly liberal and progressive, which is important to me

A levels and other unis! - Im predicted A*A*A(A) in pol, geo and English, and ive just dropped bio! Im applying for Oxford, Nottingham, York and Exeter as well!

Why are u applying to Durham! - I liked the vibes and heard good stuff! Also the courses are SO good!! It seemed presitgous but not as fancy as Oxbridge

What r ur other interests - I love music! I'm a big Taylor/Ari/Dua fan, and im also rly passionate act politics ((((: - I run a student news org which is cool! Follow us at @intersect_news hehe

Scroll to see replies

Original post by augusttoowell

Icebreakers!
What Course are u applying to! - Im doing CombSoc sci in Geo and English with some socio/political stuff as well

Why did u pick John Snow! - I liked the accommodation, wanted to self cater and liked the idea of living with 5 other friends! It also seemed rly liberal and progressive, which is important to me

A levels and other unis! - Im predicted A*A*A(A) in pol, geo and English, and ive just dropped bio! Im applying for Oxford, Nottingham, York and Exeter as well!

Why are u applying to Durham! - I liked the vibes and heard good stuff! Also the courses are SO good!! It seemed presitgous but not as fancy as Oxbridge

What r ur other interests - I love music! I'm a big Taylor/Ari/Dua fan, and im also rly passionate act politics ((((: - I run a student news org which is cool! Follow us at @intersect_news hehe

Hi,
I also picked john snow!

What course? I have applied to study maths
Why did I pick John Snow? I originally was going to apply for castle but then decided I definitely want to be self catered and hopefully experience a more modern Durham. Its also a lot closer to the new maths department.
A levels and other unis- I'm predicted 4 A*'s in Maths, F maths, physics and chemistry. I'm also applying to Cambridge, Bath, Warwick and Nottingham
Why am I applying to durham? Everyone I know who's been has said its an amazing place. The course is also very flexible and focuses on some of my fave topics
What are my other interests? Running and chess is about all else I have time to do
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by lucy131213
Hi,
I also picked john snow!

Why did I pick John Snow? I originally was going to apply for castle but then decided I definitely want to be self catered and hopefully experience a more modern Durham. Its also a lot closer to the new maths department.
A levels and other unis- I'm predicted 4 A*'s in Maths, F maths, physics and chemistry. I'm also applying to Cambridge, Bath, Warwick and Nottingham
Why am I applying to durham? Everyone I know who's been has said its an amazing place. The course is also very flexible and focuses on some of my fave topics
What are my other interests? Running and chess is about all else I have time to do

HI! Nice to meet you, omg that sounds super impressive!
HI! Nice to meet you, omg that sounds super impressive!

Thanks, so does yours!!!! Very different subjects tho
Original post by lucy131213
Hi,
I also picked john snow!

Hi! If you want to be added to a durham applicants/offer holders gc on snap just PM me ur snap and I’ll add you! Xx
Ooh just found this! I’ve applied to John Snow too :smile:

Icebreakers!

Ayyy John Snow, u got an offer for Durham yet?
Original post by Procoli
Ayyy John Snow, u got an offer for Durham yet?

Not yet :frown:
Reply 8
Hi! I’m applying for English Literature. I picked John Snow because I knew I wanted to be self catered as I’m pretty hopeless with cooking and wanted to push myself more. Adulting and all that, am I right? Plus, I liked the look of the college in general and all the facilities.

I take Media Studies, English Literature and English Language currently. I dropped Sociology. I got AAAC as AS however, I really think I would’ve done better in Sociology if I sat the exams. I didn’t resist though because I knew I wanted to drop it to focus on the others. My college hasn’t released our predicted grades to students yet, which is annoyed, but I’m aiming for A*s. I have applied to Liverpool, Leeds, Salford and John Moores as well.

I’m applying to Durham because it has a lot of prestige and English Literature is a subject where that matters, sadly. A lot of people do think it’s useless, but I’m interested in either teaching or going into publishing. Aside from it being highly ranked, I want to live somewhere small. I applied for some cities, but I’m going back and forth over if they’re the kind of places I could see myself living. The collegiate system is something I love too.

I actually clicked on this thread because I saw your username! I’m also a huge Taylor fan I went to both the 1989 Tour and the Reputation Tour (x2). Aside from Taylor Swift, I love to read, which sounds so cliché when I’m applying to English Literature. I actually run a book blog in my spare time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
I have an offer for Natural Sciences! I applied to Durham because it has a really good NatSci course, and it seemed so beautiful and friendly. The collegiate system is really appealing to me because I'm pretty extroverted and want opportunities to meet people and access societies easily etc. And Durham's place in the league tables didn't hurt either :wink:I'm doing chemistry, physics and maths and I'm predicted A*A*A*.I also applied for Cardiff, Lancaster, York and Cambridge.I actually to another college (which shall go unnamed because I don't want to be shady) but I'm trying to change my preferred college to John Snow. I had a complete change of heart about what kind of college I wanted, and there's a while before they start allocating properly, so I'm really hoping they let me. John Snow just looks nice, modern and a good size, and I would much rather be there!Maybe see you guys next year :smile:)
Original post by Mabli.W
I have an offer for Natural Sciences! I applied to Durham because it has a really good NatSci course, and it seemed so beautiful and friendly. The collegiate system is really appealing to me because I'm pretty extroverted and want opportunities to meet people and access societies easily etc. And Durham's place in the league tables didn't hurt either :wink:I'm doing chemistry, physics and maths and I'm predicted A*A*A*.I also applied for Cardiff, Lancaster, York and Cambridge.I actually to another college (which shall go unnamed because I don't want to be shady) but I'm trying to change my preferred college to John Snow. I had a complete change of heart about what kind of college I wanted, and there's a while before they start allocating properly, so I'm really hoping they let me. John Snow just looks nice, modern and a good size, and I would much rather be there!Maybe see you guys next year :smile:)

Congratulations!! And yes hopefully, fingers crossed :smile:
Original post by Mabli.W

Cymraes wyt ti?

You can change your college choice by sending an email to [email protected] before the end of January saying you want to choose a different one.
What is a John Snow??
Original post by Afrrcyn
What is a John Snow??

It’s a college within Durham University, a university in the UK. Essentially one of many halls of residence for uni students who attend Durham Uni :smile:
Original post by justjas33
It’s a college within Durham University, a university in the UK. Essentially one of many halls of residence for uni students who attend Durham Uni :smile:

ahhh Thanks
Original post by DracetteO
Cymraes wyt ti?

You can change your college choice by sending an email to [email protected] before the end of January saying you want to choose a different one.

Yes, but my Welsh is pretty bad XD

I've emailed them this morning so it should be fine. Thanks!
Original post by meg_2002
Hi! I’m applying for English Literature. I picked John Snow because I knew I wanted to be self catered as I’m pretty hopeless with cooking and wanted to push myself more. Adulting and all that, am I right? Plus, I liked the look of the college in general and all the facilities.

I take Media Studies, English Literature and English Language currently. I dropped Sociology. I got AAAC as AS however, I really think I would’ve done better in Sociology if I sat the exams. I didn’t resist though because I knew I wanted to drop it to focus on the others. My college hasn’t released our predicted grades to students yet, which is annoyed, but I’m aiming for A*s. I have applied to Liverpool, Leeds, Salford and John Moores as well.

I’m applying to Durham because it has a lot of prestige and English Literature is a subject where that matters, sadly. A lot of people do think it’s useless, but I’m interested in either teaching or going into publishing. Aside from it being highly ranked, I want to live somewhere small. I applied for some cities, but I’m going back and forth over if they’re the kind of places I could see myself living. The collegiate system is something I love too.

I actually clicked on this thread because I saw your username! I’m also a huge Taylor fan I went to both the 1989 Tour and the Reputation Tour (x2). Aside from Taylor Swift, I love to read, which sounds so cliché when I’m applying to English Literature. I actually run a book blog in my spare time.

hi! omg pm me if u wanna chat more!!! same with the English, and the durham English course is sOOOO good right!!!! and same with everything else u said!!

I loveee Taylor as well haha, that's the same as my Twitter @ if you wanna follow me lol, and ur so lucky!!! Ive never seen her live but was gonna go to the lover tour :frown:
hi! omg pm me if u wanna chat more!!! same with the English, and the durham English course is sOOOO good right!!!! and same with everything else u said!!

I loveee Taylor as well haha, that's the same as my Twitter @ if you wanna follow me lol, and ur so lucky!!! Ive never seen her live but was gonna go to the lover tour :frown:

Aw, I hope you get to see her live! I was gutted when Lover Fest was cancelled. And I just followed you on Twitter I’d rather not say my stan name on here, but I’m Meg anyway. Feel free to DM me if you ever want to chat too!
Original post by Mabli.W

Hi, I did the same thing and originally applied for one of the older colleges. But the day before i sent of my application i completely changed my mind and im not even sure why. I also do chem maths and physics at a level plus further maths!!!
Original post by justjas33
Ooh just found this! I’ve applied to John Snow too :smile:

What subject have you applied for ????

Quick Reply

Latest