The Student Room Group

Best universities in the UK for Physics?

I'm in Y12 and I'm pretty sure I want to study a Physics/Maths course at uni.
I've had a look at a few of the highest ranked ones and I've come with this list of my favourites (in no particular order):
·Durham
·Cambridge
·Birmingham
·UCL
·Imperial
·St Andrews
Anyone know which of these are the best not just in terms of the course but also as a whole?

Scroll to see replies

what about Lancaster ?
hi i'm a physics/maths applicant! i applied to oxford, ucl and cardiff for physics, warwick for maths and physics and Birmingham for maths, i'd say pick 1 or 2 more "aspirational" unis but also try and get a range of offers based on entry requirements on the website. i started by making a list of russell group unis i was interested in, and their requirements for physics, but you also have time, i didnt finalise my 5 choices until the day before i sent off my application :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by stereotypeasian
what about Lancaster ?

I don't know much about it, is it good for physics?
Original post by jjnaeris

Well I've heard that it's good

I think @Ghostlady's daughter is currently there studying physics
Reply 5
Original post by NetNeutrality
hi i'm a physics/maths applicant! i applied to oxford, ucl and cardiff for physics, warwick for maths and physics and Birmingham for maths, i'd say pick 1 or 2 more "aspirational" unis but also try and get a range of offers based on entry requirements on the website. i started by making a list of russell group unis i was interested in, and their requirements for physics, but you also have time, i didnt finalise my 5 choices until the day before i sent off my application :smile:

Ty for the advice, I've already started making a list but there are so many aspects to take into account it's a bit overwhelming :embarrassed:

why only RGs ?
(thank you for being like the only person who can spell it correctly though lol)
Reply 7

Thx, I'll ask her what she thinks
Ty for the advice, I've already started making a list but there are so many aspects to take into account it's a bit overwhelming :embarrassed:

i feel ya i took into account things like distance as well but i know thats not a factor for everyone, also looking at the general vibe of the uni/city (even tho it was from my computer screen), definitely recommend visiting some places if you can
why only RGs ?
(thank you for being like the only person who can spell it correctly though lol)

i like the research aspect of them, I'm considering going into research after my degree and it'd be nice to be somewhere that already has ongoing research if that makes sense. also they're bound to be reputable (not saying non RGs arent, and i did look into some local ones but they didnt offer my course)
Reply 10
i feel ya i took into account things like distance as well but i know thats not a factor for everyone, also looking at the general vibe of the uni/city (even tho it was from my computer screen), definitely recommend visiting some places if you can

Yh I've visited a few of these (Oxford, Cambridge and London) and the I agree that overall vibe is pretty important since (for me) I'm gonna be living there full time but I also don't want that to compromise things like living too far away from my family.
I'm in Y12 and I'm pretty sure I want to study a Physics/Maths course at uni.
I've had a look at a few of the highest ranked ones and I've come with this list of my favourites (in no particular order):
·Durham
·Cambridge
·Birmingham
·UCL
·Imperial
·St Andrews
Anyone know which of these are the best not just in terms of the course but also as a whole?

That really isn't the best way to choose a university - league table mean nothing.

You need to look at the courses and the type of uni [campus/town] etc.
i like the research aspect of them, I'm considering going into research after my degree and it'd be nice to be somewhere that already has ongoing research if that makes sense. also they're bound to be reputable (not saying non RGs arent, and i did look into some local ones but they didnt offer my course)

RG doesn't mean the undergraduate teaching is good!
Original post by Muttley79
RG doesn't mean the undergraduate teaching is good!

fair but i already applied so it is what it is 😂
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
That really isn't the best way to choose a university - league table mean nothing.

You need to look at the courses and the type of uni [campus/town] etc.

I've also taken into account the courses they offer and the location (what the nightlife looks like, clubs etc...) but I don't know that much about any of them that's why I'm ask for opinions (:
I've also taken into account the courses they offer and the location (what the nightlife looks like, clubs etc...) but I don't know that much about any of them that's why I'm ask for opinions (:

Really? They've got nothing in common as far as I can see.

Why exactly have you chosen Imperial for example?
Reply 16
Ik they're quite different but I don't have super specific vision of what I want, I just wanna make sure I'm not dead bored. Imperial is relatively close to home and London is great in terms of having things to do. Plus it obviously a good uni to study STEM subjects and they have a range of courses.
Reply 17
@Muttley79
What uni(s) would you recommend?
Tbh I don't actually know much about any uni besides what I've seen and read online (and two recommendations).

Thanks for the tag :biggrin: My daughter is studying Physics, particle physics and cosmology there for a 4 years integrated masters. Shes a first year and so far so good :smile: Because of covid and all the restrictions, They have moved the lectures and seminars on line, but labs are in person. The library is open 24hours. First year everyone is all the same, you study physics, so whether thats theoretical, physics with maths etc, everyone is together. Theres 180-200 in total that study physics in first year then branch out after that. You get the lectures but also quizzes on kahoot to make it fun too , and seminars and workshops Michaelmas term is split into 2. So for 5 week you get taught a specific thing ie (partial differential equations/calculus) and then the latter 5 weeks something else. She loves the course. Internships companies like Lancaster too. Obviously this year is different because of covid but last year on applicant day they said they had around 200 internship vacancies last summer.

As for Lancaster uni itself, its got lots of eateries, Greggs, Sultans, Angels, Pizzetta republic, Wibbly Wobbly burger bar just to name a few. And the uni is split into colleges, each with its own porters lodge, jcr and bar. Lancaster city is smaller than other cities, but has great character with grey stone buildings, the castle, williamson park. Clubs wise, you have Sugarhouse, Glow/Dalton Rooms and Generation. not sure about Generation, but Sugar is down at the moment due to covid restrictions, and Glow/Dalton is open and now serving pizza as a substantial meal (its currently in tier 3). Daughter says they still put on all the entertainment, dancers, lazers, confetti cannons and all of that. Accommodation always wins awards too, and daughters is really nice in a Grizedale College townhouse for 12 people.
Lancaster is not an RG but is high ranking in the complete uni guide, guardian, times, etc in the top ten, and same for physics. Physics is high regarded at Lancaster and places get snapped up very quickly. For August 2020 in clearing, Physics was on the website for about 2 hours, then off again.

Scholarships: If you get an unconditional and firm them, there is an excellence scheme where if you get AAA you get so much for first year, and A*A*A even more(for 2020 its £4000) (paid half in November and half in February ). There's a scheme where you get something for hitting AAA and higher as well without the unconditional offer too.
Separately If you get A* in maths, and A* in physics you also get £1000 additional too called the physics award. The scholarships and bursaries encourages applicants to do well in their exams. https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/student-and-education-services/money/funding/scholarship-and-bursary-faqs/ this also has a link to funding calculator to work out how much you would get, if you got those grades.
Reply 19
Original post by Ghostlady
Thanks for the tag :biggrin: My daughter is studying Physics, particle physics and cosmology there for a 4 years integrated masters. Shes a first year and so far so good :smile: Because of covid and all the restrictions, They have moved the lectures and seminars on line, but labs are in person. The library is open 24hours. First year everyone is all the same, you study physics, so whether thats theoretical, physics with maths etc, everyone is together. Theres 180-200 in total that study physics in first year then branch out after that. You get the lectures but also quizzes on kahoot to make it fun too , and seminars and workshops Michaelmas term is split into 2. So for 5 week you get taught a specific thing ie (partial differential equations/calculus) and then the latter 5 weeks something else. She loves the course. Internships companies like Lancaster too. Obviously this year is different because of covid but last year on applicant day they said they had around 200 internship vacancies last summer.

As for Lancaster uni itself, its got lots of eateries, Greggs, Sultans, Angels, Pizzetta republic, Wibbly Wobbly burger bar just to name a few. And the uni is split into colleges, each with its own porters lodge, jcr and bar. Lancaster city is smaller than other cities, but has great character with grey stone buildings, the castle, williamson park. Clubs wise, you have Sugarhouse, Glow/Dalton Rooms and Generation. not sure about Generation, but Sugar is down at the moment due to covid restrictions, and Glow/Dalton is open and now serving pizza as a substantial meal (its currently in tier 3). Daughter says they still put on all the entertainment, dancers, lazers, confetti cannons and all of that. Accommodation always wins awards too, and daughters is really nice in a Grizedale College townhouse for 12 people.
Lancaster is not an RG but is high ranking in the complete uni guide, guardian, times, etc in the top ten, and same for physics. Physics is high regarded at Lancaster and places get snapped up very quickly. For August 2020 in clearing, Physics was on the website for about 2 hours, then off again.

Scholarships: If you get an unconditional and firm them, there is an excellence scheme where if you get AAA you get so much for first year, and A*A*A even more(for 2020 its £4000) (paid half in November and half in February ). There's a scheme where you get something for hitting AAA and higher as well without the unconditional offer too.
Separately If you get A* in maths, and A* in physics you also get £1000 additional too called the physics award. The scholarships and bursaries encourages applicants to do well in their exams. https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/student-and-education-services/money/funding/scholarship-and-bursary-faqs/ this also has a link to funding calculator to work out how much you would get, if you got those grades.

Thank you so much for your response! This is really helpful and I'll definitely look more into it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending