The Student Room Group

Retake student stressed over A level exams being cancelled

I'm a retake student and today I heard about that the exams might still he cancelled. I don't want to take 1 more gap year cause its just so stressful. Surely if they allowed autumn exams to go ahead they'll do the same for summer exams. I can't go 1 minute without getting it out of my head.
Reply 1
WHAT ! A levels might be cancelled this year ? I hope not
Reply 2
After the fiasco this year with grossly inflated grades I think they will find a way of exams taking place next Summer.
Original post by Compost
After the fiasco this year with grossly inflated grades I think they will find a way of exams taking place next Summer.

Agreed. I mean, just look at how the government are adamant to keep schools open despite alarmingly increasing Covid cases across the country? They don’t want to **** up education anymore then they have done already, and no doubt cancelling exams again would cause outrage and more issues than if they just let them happen. Tbh, in exams people socially distance anyway so they can’t teach and our age group isn’t as vulnerable to Covid. Yes, more young people and especially Uni students are getting Covid but still, with our age group it isn’t a serious or debilitating virus. I don’t see a huge risk in letting exams go ahead as normal. But we’ll see, hopefully they don’t cancel them though as I am also going to potentially retake in summer and if they get cancelled again I have to go through CAG’s again, I’ll officially lose my mind.
Original post by Justthoughts17
I'm a retake student and today I heard about that the exams might still he cancelled. I don't want to take 1 more gap year cause its just so stressful. Surely if they allowed autumn exams to go ahead they'll do the same for summer exams. I can't go 1 minute without getting it out of my head.

I would be more concerned as to why you cant go a minute without being obsessed? How is that healthy for you?

Maybe stop obsessing, chill and get some perspective.
1. If they didnt go ahead then its not the end of the world. Its not akin to losing a leg, going blind or having a terminal illness.
2. Its highly unlikely they wont go ahead because of the mess made in the summer.
3. Nobody can say for sure what will happen with cv19, but its likely we will have a vaccine by then which should get it mostly under control.
4. If you want to do well then your best bet is quit wasting time on worrying and focus on being available, to get the best grades possible.
even if A levels get cancelled they wouldn't say yet. I've stopped guessing and am just working like it will go ahead
Original post by Compost

Original post by Anonymous17!
Agreed. I mean, just look at how the government are adamant to keep schools open despite alarmingly increasing Covid cases across the country? They don’t want to **** up education anymore then they have done already, and no doubt cancelling exams again would cause outrage and more issues than if they just let them happen. Tbh, in exams people socially distance anyway so they can’t teach and our age group isn’t as vulnerable to Covid. Yes, more young people and especially Uni students are getting Covid but still, with our age group it isn’t a serious or debilitating virus. I don’t see a huge risk in letting exams go ahead as normal. But we’ll see, hopefully they don’t cancel them though as I am also going to potentially retake in summer and if they get cancelled again I have to go through CAG’s again, I’ll officially lose my mind.

Original post by 999tigger
I would be more concerned as to why you cant go a minute without being obsessed? How is that healthy for you?

Maybe stop obsessing, chill and get some perspective.
1. If they didnt go ahead then its not the end of the world. Its not akin to losing a leg, going blind or having a terminal illness.
2. Its highly unlikely they wont go ahead because of the mess made in the summer.
3. Nobody can say for sure what will happen with cv19, but its likely we will have a vaccine by then which should get it mostly under control.
4. If you want to do well then your best bet is quit wasting time on worrying and focus on being available, to get the best grades possible.

I hope and pray you guys are right but with this government anything is possible. With the 2nd lockdown on the way and talks of shutting down schools is a bit terrifying. This is my only chance 😥
Guys let’s continue to work hard! If we give it everything we got for our current class exams/mocks then we can rest easy knowing that we did our best (in the case of another lockdown). Let’s not see this is as a reason to demotivate ourselves but a reason to keep going, we are nearly there!
I hope and pray you guys are right but with this government anything is possible. With the 2nd lockdown on the way and talks of shutting down schools is a bit terrifying. This is my only chance 😥

Well you can enjoy beating yourself up about something you have no control over or just get on with it and stop being so dramatic thinking of ways for things to go wrong.

A setback? yes.
Insurmountable? No.
As bad as catching a terminal illness? No.

Schools, colleges and unis are still going to be open. Seriously, I think the government know they ducked up so much this year with a-levels and gcse results and they witnessed first hand the power and rage of said students, their teachers and parents that it seems like they.milk do anything to prevent pissing is off. Hence why schools, colleges and uni are remaining open and hence why I doubt exams will be cancelled. They could very well still get cancelled though, all we can do is wait

Quick Reply

Latest