The Student Room Group

Spaced revision

How much content should I cover for each study session, if i use spaced revision?
I'm in yr 11, doing gcse in summer (aiming for 8s and 9s)
also i have no idea how to revise, i'v tried many techniques but found none that work for me :frown:
Original post by R.N
How much content should I cover for each study session, if i use spaced revision?
I'm in yr 11, doing gcse in summer (aiming for 8s and 9s)
also i have no idea how to revise, i'v tried many techniques but found none that work for me :frown:

I'm in year 11 at the current moment and during lockdown was the first time I did proper revision in my whole life lmao. But start off by doing short timing for each topic like for example I started off by doing 20 minutes of Science with a 10-minute break and if I still needed to do more work on science I would do another 20 minutes and if there was no more work I needed to complete I would then start doing 20 minutes of the next subject like maths or English etc. Each week I would up the time by 10 minutes until I reached 40 minutes because 40 minutes is the best time for revision, in my opinion. If you have mocks or exams coming up study for an hour on each subject, hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by yourstruly101
I'm in year 11 at the current moment and during lockdown was the first time I did proper revision in my whole life lmao. But start off by doing short timing for each topic like for example I started off by doing 20 minutes of Science with a 10-minute break and if I still needed to do more work on science I would do another 20 minutes and if there was no more work I needed to complete I would then start doing 20 minutes of the next subject like maths or English etc. Each week I would up the time by 10 minutes until I reached 40 minutes because 40 minutes is the best time for revision, in my opinion. If you have mocks or exams coming up study for an hour on each subject, hope this helps!

yep that's a really great way to revise
I have a question, do you revise topic until you finished a whole topic and then move onto the next subject or...
Also how do you make time for all your subjects, as i tend to not get as much time for all of them
Original post by R.N
yep that's a really great way to revise
I have a question, do you revise topic until you finished a whole topic and then move onto the next subject or...
Also how do you make time for all your subjects, as i tend to not get as much time for all of them

What do you mean by a whole topic?
Usually, I'd revise 4 topics in a day so for example, Science, Maths, History, and English literature. So say for science I'm revising Infection and response I'd revise from a textbook if I haven't finished after time is up if I have enough time I'd do another 30 minutes of science. If I don't have enough time to cover all 4 subjects I'd decrease the time for revising science again to maybe 15 minutes or I'll just do science the next day if that makes sense. Sorry for the long paragraph lol
Reply 4
What do you mean by a whole topic?
Usually, I'd revise 4 topics in a day so for example, Science, Maths, History, and English literature. So say for science I'm revising Infection and response I'd revise from a textbook if I haven't finished after time is up if I have enough time I'd do another 30 minutes of science. If I don't have enough time to cover all 4 subjects I'd decrease the time for revising science again to maybe 15 minutes or I'll just do science the next day if that makes sense. Sorry for the long paragraph lol

oh okay thanks :smile:,
how many subjects per day do you recommend revising?
sorry, I'm asking a lot of questions lol
Original post by R.N
oh okay thanks :smile:,
how many subjects per day do you recommend revising?
sorry, I'm asking a lot of questions lol

Ask as many as you like I want to help you :smile:
It depends on you, I personally do 4 and I start with the subjects I enjoy the most or the subjects I get good grades in to the subjects I get bad grades in or the subjects I don't enjoy like maths lmao

You could make a timetable for yourself, So like:
Monday - Maths, Biology, History
Tuesday- English language, Physics, Health & Social
Wednesday- English literature, Chemistry, Statistics
Thursday- Spanish
Friday - No subjects studied
Make sure to take breaks. I hope I made sense I waffle a lot haha
This is a adaptable revision schedule.
You can adapt it to suit your needs.

Monday- math, flashcards, skill videos and old exam papers. Tuesday- English, practice questions and class notes. PE, research, notes, and questions. Videos too.
Wednesday- geography, key vocabulary tests and end of chapter exercises from the textbook. Also old documentaries, tv shows, and films. RE, discussions, notes and weekly tests.
Thursday- history, old exam type questions, weekly short quizzes, videos, notes and Venn diagrams. Computer studies- practice mainly. Also do homework and deeper reading.
Friday- science, research, notes, practice questions, games, and lively discussions.

*Most of these revision techniques work for all subjects*. I also recommend using maps as well.
Reply 7
Original post by tinygirl96

Monday- math, flashcards, skill videos and old exam papers. Tuesday- English, practice questions and class notes. PE, research, notes, and questions. Videos too.
Wednesday- geography, key vocabulary tests and end of chapter exercises from the textbook. Also old documentaries, tv shows, and films. RE, discussions, notes and weekly tests.
Thursday- history, old exam type questions, weekly short quizzes, videos, notes and Venn diagrams. Computer studies- practice mainly. Also do homework and deeper reading.
Friday- science, research, notes, practice questions, games, and lively discussions.

*Most of these revision techniques work for all subjects*. I also recommend using maps as well.

:smile: thanksss, these revision techniques are really good!
Reply 8
Original post by tinygirl96

Ask as many as you like I want to help you :smile:
It depends on you, I personally do 4 and I start with the subjects I enjoy the most or the subjects I get good grades in to the subjects I get bad grades in or the subjects I don't enjoy like maths lmao

You could make a timetable for yourself, So like:
Monday - Maths, Biology, History
Tuesday- English language, Physics, Health & Social
Wednesday- English literature, Chemistry, Statistics
Thursday- Spanish
Friday - No subjects studied
Make sure to take breaks. I hope I made sense I waffle a lot haha

THANKS SOO MUCH! :smile:
I made a timetable with 4 subjects on school days and 5 in the weekends with plenty of breaks too.
I'm going to do maths everyday tho, i'm pretty good at maths but if i don't practice...I lose touch easily lol. Like after lockdown i was completely lostt (whoops i started waffling).
Anyways thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by R.N

THANKS SOO MUCH! :smile:
I made a timetable with 4 subjects on school days and 5 in the weekends with plenty of breaks too.
I'm going to do maths everyday tho, i'm pretty good at maths but if i don't practice...I lose touch easily lol. Like after lockdown i was completely lostt (whoops i started waffling).
Anyways thanks a lot :smile:

That's great! :smile:
May the Force be with you and no problem!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending