The Student Room Group

A-levels HELPPP

So on September at sixth form I started with 4 A-levels: math/chem/bio/physics

It only lasted a week because it was getting really overwhelming I was struggling mentally with all the workload, so I dropped physics because I thought with physics There wasnā€™t many career opportunities for myself considering I was someone willing to go into healthcare. (I never disliked physics though and it kind of made me sad when I dropped it tbh)

Anyways now the end of October:
I DREAD BIOLOGY SO MUCH, like i dread the homeworks, lessons, content, revisions, everything ( but to be fair we just started on the foundation topics which are veryyyyyyy boring and overwhelming too)

Maths and chemistry are hard but Iā€™m 100% enjoying them whatsoever (I would love it if there was a career that involved purely these 2 subjects)

I donā€™t know what to do, someone help me make a decision pls I beg *cries*

Also career wise: I donā€™t know what I want to do anymore but Iā€™m fine as long as it involves drugs and medicines (to help people somehow) and a decent salary
Original post by softhbb
So on September at sixth form I started with 4 A-levels: math/chem/bio/physics

It only lasted a week because it was getting really overwhelming I was struggling mentally with all the workload, so I dropped physics because I thought with physics There wasnā€™t many career opportunities for myself considering I was someone willing to go into healthcare. (I never disliked physics though and it kind of made me sad when I dropped it tbh)

Anyways now the end of October:
I DREAD BIOLOGY SO MUCH, like i dread the homeworks, lessons, content, revisions, everything ( but to be fair we just started on the foundation topics which are veryyyyyyy boring and overwhelming too)

Maths and chemistry are hard but Iā€™m 100% enjoying them whatsoever (I would love it if there was a career that involved purely these 2 subjects)

I donā€™t know what to do, someone help me make a decision pls I beg *cries*

Also career wise: I donā€™t know what I want to do anymore but Iā€™m fine as long as it involves drugs and medicines (to help people somehow) and a decent salary

Heya, sorry to see you're feeling distressed!

You're still really early on in your course and it can be overwhelming, but you get used to it eventually. Just make sure you listen in class and read over notes and whatnot before the class, for chemistry, astarchemistry.com is pretty useful. Before tests, go do as many physics and maths tutor questions as you can and you'll be right as rain.

For medical-related fields, chemistry and biology are VITAL. You should not drop those if you're sure you want to do them.

My advice would be to keep up with what you can do for now, but also, shortlist the careers you are interested in, and make sure to try and get the grades you need to do the most difficult one on your list, so if you achieve that, you can do anything, but if you just fall short, you still have the grades you need in order to do at least one thing on your list.

Biology is all about the buzzwords, and past paper questions are honestly a mind-blowingly good resource to be using for that along with the revision guides. If you need any help with A level bio, let me know as I have gotten an A in it :smile:
Reply 2
im finding maths really hard aswell, mainly due to my teacher not explaining anything at all properly despite she's head of maths department.
Original post by Manza112
im finding maths really hard aswell, mainly due to my teacher not explaining anything at all properly despite she's head of maths department.

For maths, consistent revision is pretty important and you should be doing questions in the topics you're currently on in school - if you can, try to learn a topic on your own using youtube videos and the revision guides, and use lessons as supplements to try and help you target specific areas in the topic you're doing.

Then just keep doing all the physics and maths tutor questions by topic online, and you'll be in a really good position for when those topic tests come around, and also for the final exams!
Original post by Manza112

my teacher moves too fast with stuff and then I feel bad for asking so I just stay quiet šŸ˜­
Reply 5
Original post by SmartUnicorn
my teacher moves too fast with stuff and then I feel bad for asking so I just stay quiet šŸ˜­

Original post by SmartUnicorn

Same here, but my teacher is the worst teacher to have ever existed
Reply 6
Original post by ColtTheWolf
Heya, sorry to see you're feeling distressed!

You're still really early on in your course and it can be overwhelming, but you get used to it eventually. Just make sure you listen in class and read over notes and whatnot before the class, for chemistry, astarchemistry.com is pretty useful. Before tests, go do as many physics and maths tutor questions as you can and you'll be right as rain.

For medical-related fields, chemistry and biology are VITAL. You should not drop those if you're sure you want to do them.

My advice would be to keep up with what you can do for now, but also, shortlist the careers you are interested in, and make sure to try and get the grades you need to do the most difficult one on your list, so if you achieve that, you can do anything, but if you just fall short, you still have the grades you need in order to do at least one thing on your list.

Biology is all about the buzzwords, and past paper questions are honestly a mind-blowingly good resource to be using for that along with the revision guides. If you need any help with A level bio, let me know as I have gotten an A in it :smile:

Thank you so much for making the time to help me out and give me these advices,

( I have dropped physics already on my first week of school)
I have just been dreading biology so much that I donā€™t know if I should go back to physics (although I will have a lot to catch up on)
thatā€™s my dilemma currently

Also congrats for getting an A for biology. šŸŽ‰
what helped you achieve that A ? *your top tips* please
and what was your exam board -so you could suggest me some good resources? šŸ˜…
Original post by softhbb
Thank you so much for making the time to help me out and give me these advices,

( I have dropped physics already on my first week of school)
I have just been dreading biology so much that I donā€™t know if I should go back to physics (although I will have a lot to catch up on)
thatā€™s my dilemma currently

Also congrats for getting an A for biology. šŸŽ‰
what helped you achieve that A ? *your top tips* please
and what was your exam board -so you could suggest me some good resources? šŸ˜…

If you want to go into a career that's medically related, like medicine and pharmacy, you'll totally need biio. It looks terrifying but it's actually really good.

I did OCR A biology, and it was pretty good but the exam boards are somewhat similar.

So; take a chapter and make notes on it (On paper has the action of writing really helps to drill things into your head as you focus more on what you're writing down. Then, look over the notes again, and then go to physicsandmaths tutor in order to do questions by topic. Mark them when done, and then go over why you got them wrong. Compile all the questions you got wrong, or below say 75% on, and redo them the next day.

astarbiology was pretty useful, but honestly, the past papers by topic were by far the most influential for me.
Reply 8
Original post by ColtTheWolf
If you want to go into a career that's medically related, like medicine and pharmacy, you'll totally need biio. It looks terrifying but it's actually really good.

I did OCR A biology, and it was pretty good but the exam boards are somewhat similar.

So; take a chapter and make notes on it (On paper has the action of writing really helps to drill things into your head as you focus more on what you're writing down. Then, look over the notes again, and then go to physicsandmaths tutor in order to do questions by topic. Mark them when done, and then go over why you got them wrong. Compile all the questions you got wrong, or below say 75% on, and redo them the next day.

astarbiology was pretty useful, but honestly, the past papers by topic were by far the most influential for me.

Thank you so much, this has actually motivated me and gave me some confidence
Original post by softhbb
Thank you so much, this has actually motivated me and gave me some confidence

If I can ask, what did you get in your GCSE biology?

Quick Reply

Latest