The Student Room Group

How do uni offers work?

I’ve applied to do law and have noticed that some people with lower predicted grades than me have received offers while I have been placed on hold (I’m predicted 3 a*)
Is this because I haven’t done as well on the LNAT? Or possibly because I got two 5s at gcse (I also got five 9s 2 8s and a 7 but that doesn’t cancel out the two fives..)
How much do unis take each factor into account? Am I likely to be rejected because of the lnat/gcses?
How do law offers actually work for most unis?

Sorry for the amount of questions! These are probably all just me worrying for no reason but no one else I’ve heard of has been placed on hold!
Any advice on how law applicants are chosen would be greatly appreciated:smile:
Tbh unis aren't that fussed about GCSEs, just English and Maths so as long as you've done well in them there's no need to stress! Unfortunately entrance exams like the LNAT are quite a big factor when unis are deciding on offers but you have three A* and that's an amazing set of predicted grades!! Unis give out offers at different times and they don't necessarily give the better applicants offers first. Don't stress you've done a great job!!
Original post by o_rose
I’ve applied to do law and have noticed that some people with lower predicted grades than me have received offers while I have been placed on hold (I’m predicted 3 a*)
Is this because I haven’t done as well on the LNAT? Or possibly because I got two 5s at gcse (I also got five 9s 2 8s and a 7 but that doesn’t cancel out the two fives..)
How much do unis take each factor into account? Am I likely to be rejected because of the lnat/gcses?

Sorry for the amount of questions! These are probably all just me worrying for no reason but no one else I’ve heard of has been placed on hold!

What do you mean by you’ve been put on hold?
If you just mean that you haven’t had any offers yet that is nothing to worry about. Some LNAT Unis don’t make many offers until at least after the UCAS deadline of January 15th and are still making offers for months after that
Reply 3
Original post by harrysbar
What do you mean by you’ve been put on hold?
If you just mean that you haven’t had any offers yet that is nothing to worry about. Some LNAT Unis don’t make many offers until at least after the UCAS deadline of January 15th and are still making offers for months after that

I got an email saying I was on hold this was what confused me - no one else I’ve asked has been put on hold they have been getting offers!
Original post by o_rose

Each university operates differently !! Some may give out offers immediately after applications, and others may wait until after UCAS deadlines so they can consider all applications equally (ie i heard this from Durham university, and i know universities like Bristol put many people on hold as well) so not getting an offer immediately doesn’t mean that you won’t get anything at all !! with time comes great things !!
Until you hear otherwise, you are still being considered. Being put on hold is a lot more positive than being made unsuccessful almost straight away.
Original post by o_rose
I got an email saying I was on hold this was what confused me - no one else I’ve asked has been put on hold they have been getting offers!

Was that Bristol? They seem to do that quite commonly and tend to give lots of offers out late in the cycle for Law
Reply 7
Original post by harrysbar
Was that Bristol? They seem to do that quite commonly and tend to give lots of offers out late in the cycle for Law

Nottingham!
Original post by o_rose
Nottingham!

Hmmm...Nottingham is the only LNAT uni to have a cut off point below which people will be automatically rejected for Law (which in 2019/20 was 21) so perhaps they are waiting to find out what the average LNAT score is this year and how you score compared to that. Maybe.
Reply 9
Original post by o_rose
Nottingham!

Hey! I think i might’ve got the same email. What did yours say?
Reply 10
Original post by alana.s
Hey! I think i might’ve got the same email. What did yours say?

It said they have a high number of applicants, won’t keep me on hold for long and that they would reply as soon as possible ! Still haven’t heard anything
Reply 11
Original post by o_rose
It said they have a high number of applicants, won’t keep me on hold for long and that they would reply as soon as possible ! Still haven’t heard anything

yeah same... let me know if you hear anything! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending