The Student Room Group

Ideas for EPQ for medicine

I literally don't know what to write I wanted to do something about genetic modification but seems like everyone is doing that so I don't want to anymore.
I had this idea but it feels dumb now, don't laugh though but 'can you actually die of a broken heart?' I feel like it's not serious and very narrowed idk you tell me.

Also, I thought something about schizophrenia but I don't have any idea what though? like how a schizophrenic sees the world?

I want something there could be a lot to write about and very easy to write about(like not time-consuming easy to find information about).

thank you so much!!
Original post by 15mohsinfa
I literally don't know what to write I wanted to do something about genetic modification but seems like everyone is doing that so I don't want to anymore.
I had this idea but it feels dumb now, don't laugh though but 'can you actually die of a broken heart?' I feel like it's not serious and very narrowed idk you tell me.

Also, I thought something about schizophrenia but I don't have any idea what though? like how a schizophrenic sees the world?

I want something there could be a lot to write about and very easy to write about(like not time-consuming easy to find information about).

thank you so much!!

That sounds incredibly interesting and a great topic for the EPQ, go for it!
Reply 2
Original post by Medicine_is_hard
That sounds incredibly interesting and a great topic for the EPQ, go for it!

which one out of the two but thank you for thinking they are good!!
which one out of the two but thank you for thinking they are good!!

Well both but can you die of a broken heart is original and a bit different so would be perfect
Reply 4

thank you so much!!

There is a veryyy short time-window in the cardiac rhythm where if you punch someone in the heart hard enough they can go into cardiac arrest - just wanted to offload this.

I don't really get what you mean by 'broken heart' - as in because of a break-up/divorce/betrayal? If so, I believe that it would be quite niche and you'd have to be prepared to dig through many journals to get any relevant information.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Da14a
There is a veryyy short time-window in the cardiac rhythm where if you punch someone in the heart hard enough they can go into cardiac arrest - just wanted to offload this.

I don't really get what you mean by 'broken heart' - as in because of a break-up/divorce/betrayal? If so, I believe that it would be quite niche and you'd have to be prepared to dig through many journals to get any relevant information.

Yeah broken heart. I deffo have heard that there are physical symptoms associated with it and could find a lot out there if you look in the right places. Tons of statistics as well as the relation between mental and physical illness which has been proven to have a strong connection. I did quite a niche condition for mine and found more than enough info. You’ll do great!
Reply 6
Original post by Medicine_is_hard
Yeah broken heart. I deffo have heard that there are physical symptoms associated with it and could find a lot out there if you look in the right places. Tons of statistics as well as the relation between mental and physical illness which has been proven to have a strong connection. I did quite a niche condition for mine and found more than enough info. You’ll do great!

Aww, thank you so much for the support I really appreciate it! :smile:
Really interesting topic! Following a quick google search, there is an actual 'broken heart syndrome' - stress cardiomyopathy - which I assume you've already explored. The only reservation I have is that the topic could be a little too narrow for a 5000+ word dissertation. Perhaps you could explore the link between mental and physical health, using broken heart syndrome as an example?
Reply 8
Original post by dhewy
Really interesting topic! Following a quick google search, there is an actual 'broken heart syndrome' - stress cardiomyopathy - which I assume you've already explored. The only reservation I have is that the topic could be a little too narrow for a 5000+ word dissertation. Perhaps you could explore the link between mental and physical health, using broken heart syndrome as an example?

Omg, this makes me SO happy that so many people are liking(i really liked it as well :wink: ) the topic. I am having the same problems, in terms of there being a lot to write about but idk I still have time to think about it but I also think that it's not medical enough?

Do you agree?
Omg, this makes me SO happy that so many people are liking(i really liked it as well :wink: ) the topic. I am having the same problems, in terms of there being a lot to write about but idk I still have time to think about it but I also think that it's not medical enough?

Do you agree?

I think you could take a very interesting stance on Medicine by looking at the impacts of stress and emotions on health, so don't worry too much about being scientific as long as you can be articulate. Get some preliminary research done so you can get a better idea of the things you'd like to talk about in your dissertation. Then you might be able to narrow down your topic, which will be pretty helpful for getting your project underway. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending