The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

GCSE's

I applied to Leeds for Medicine, the only BMAT uni I applied to. I am predicted A*, A, A and hoping to get above average in my BMAT (which is in a few days), however my GCSE's let me down quite a lot. I got one 9, three 8's, one 7, one 6, three 5's and an A*. I DIDN'T REALISE HOW MUCH LEEDS LOOKED AT THEM. Please let me know if there is even the slightest possibility of me getting in :/
Original post by emmaoliviafallon
I applied to Leeds for Medicine, the only BMAT uni I applied to. I am predicted A*, A, A and hoping to get above average in my BMAT (which is in a few days), however my GCSE's let me down quite a lot. I got one 9, three 8's, one 7, one 6, three 5's and an A*. I DIDN'T REALISE HOW MUCH LEEDS LOOKED AT THEM. Please let me know if there is even the slightest possibility of me getting in :/

Huh? Tell me if I'm wrong but I've just had a look on there and can't find anywhere that says you need decent GCSEs? You only usually take GCSEs as a gateway into your A-Levels, I've never heard of universities saying no to people because of their GCSE results, and you will have to be interviewed etc anyway no matter what grade you have to get in so I wouldn't worry too much. My friend from sixth form had some of the best grades and he didn't even make it to interview stage
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by Anonymous
Huh? Tell me if I'm wrong but I've just had a look on there and can't find anywhere that says you need decent GCSEs? You only usually take GCSEs as a gateway into your A-Levels, I've never heard of universities saying no to people because of their GCSE results, and you will have to be interviewed etc anyway no matter what grade you have to get in so I wouldn't worry too much. My friend from sixth form had some of the best grades and he didn't even make it to interview stage

Lots of universities really care about GCSE’s for medicine (not sure about other subjects), for example Leeds weights predicted grades, BMAT, GCSE’s and personal statement and GCSE’s take up nearly 50%! On their website they also say that 40% of candidates last year got 9 A*’s at GCSE :/ so I’m just kind of worried
Lots of universities really care about GCSE’s for medicine (not sure about other subjects), for example Leeds weights predicted grades, BMAT, GCSE’s and personal statement and GCSE’s take up nearly 50%! On their website they also say that 40% of candidates last year got 9 A*’s at GCSE :/ so I’m just kind of worried

Sorry yeah I've just seen that on Leeds now, my bad haha! All you can do is apply I guess and see what happens, as there's no easy way of doing your GCSEs again. Hopefully they'll see your amazing A-Level results and BMAT score and still consider you? Just make sure you write a really good personal statement to back yourself up! :smile:
I applied to Leeds for Medicine, the only BMAT uni I applied to. I am predicted A*, A, A and hoping to get above average in my BMAT (which is in a few days), however my GCSE's let me down quite a lot. I got one 9, three 8's, one 7, one 6, three 5's and an A*. I DIDN'T REALISE HOW MUCH LEEDS LOOKED AT THEM. Please let me know if there is even the slightest possibility of me getting in :

I was gonna say your grades were good till I saw your three 5s. Basically you have A*A*A*A*ABCCC, because in uni 9-A*, 8-A*, 7-A, 6-B, 5-C 4-D. Well, idk if they are strong because i dont know which subjects you has this grades on, could you say which subjects? They are not strong, but they are not weak, they good! But all depends on what you got a C in and the B. I am scared for GCSE grades too.
I was gonna say your grades were good till I saw your three 5s. Basically you have A*A*A*A*ABCCC, because in uni 9-A*, 8-A*, 7-A, 6-B, 5-C 4-D. Well, idk if they are strong because i dont know which subjects you has this grades on, could you say which subjects? They are not strong, but they are not weak, they good! But all depends on what you got a C in and the B. I am scared for GCSE grades too.

I got the A*'s in physics, maths, chemistry, biology and further maths. I got an A in english literature, a B in english language and the three 5's are in PE, history and german (so not the important ones)

Also I am unsure whether they class a 5 as a C or a B. A 4 is considered a pass at GCSE which is equivalent to a C, and a 5 is in between a C and a B so...
Sorry yeah I've just seen that on Leeds now, my bad haha! All you can do is apply I guess and see what happens, as there's no easy way of doing your GCSEs again. Hopefully they'll see your amazing A-Level results and BMAT score and still consider you? Just make sure you write a really good personal statement to back yourself up! :smile:

A 4 is not a D...

Why are you on Anon? I really don’t see the need for it.
I got the A*'s in physics, maths, chemistry, biology and further maths. I got an A in english literature, a B in english language and the three 5's are in PE, history and german (so not the important ones)

Also I am unsure whether they class a 5 as a C or a B. A 4 is considered a pass at GCSE which is equivalent to a C, and a 5 is in between a C and a B so...

Yeah but that’s GCSEs, for universities its different. For example in UCL website it says how a 5 its a C rather than a B, as well as LSE, University of Glasgow and other universities websites, so I believe a 5 it’s a C. Also my teachers explained this as well, how a D (4) becomes a pass for A Levels.
All your GCSE are above requirements so you will be fine! You dont lose anything on applying! The thing which its kinda worrying its the B in English Language, as Universities really want to see As on English and Maths, however you got an A for Literature (which its more appreciated by universities than English Language as it explores more writing and reading) which its amazing! So apply✨ Good luck!

We were told that both a 4 and a 5 were equiv to C’s (but a 5 was a ‘strong pass’)
Good luck, and hopefully if you smash the BMAT then they’ll look past those grades :hugs:
Original post by 5hyl33n
A 4 is not a D...

huh?
Original post by laurawatt
We were told that both a 4 and a 5 were equiv to C’s (but a 5 was a ‘strong pass’)
Good luck, and hopefully if you smash the BMAT then they’ll look past those grades :hugs:

thank you :smile:
Yeah but that’s GCSEs, for universities its different. For example in UCL website it says how a 5 its a C rather than a B, as well as LSE, University of Glasgow and other universities websites, so I believe a 5 it’s a C. Also my teachers explained this as well, how a D (4) becomes a pass for A Levels.
All your GCSE are above requirements so you will be fine! You dont lose anything on applying! The thing which its kinda worrying its the B in English Language, as Universities really want to see As on English and Maths, however you got an A for Literature (which its more appreciated by universities than English Language as it explores more writing and reading) which its amazing! So apply✨ Good luck!

okay thank u very much :smile:
Original post by 5hyl33n
A 4 is not a D...

I never said a 4 is a D, I don't understand the system as I finished my GCSEs in 2014.
Does it matter whether you know my username or not? :wink: But if it makes you feel better I'll change it just for you
Original post by A.Peters0797
I never said a 4 is a D, I don't understand the system as I finished my GCSEs in 2014.
Does it matter whether you know my username or not? :wink: But if it makes you feel better I'll change it just for you

Sorry! It was another Anon that said a 4 was a grade D. :frown:

I thought it was you haha.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Sorry! It was another Anon that said a 4 was a grade D. :frown:

I thought it was you haha.

Haha no worries :wink::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest