The Student Room Group

English language investigation coursework help!

Hi, so I'm comparing two interviews with Beyonce, one with Piers Morgan and one with Ellen. But I'm not sure what to write about in my analysis and it's due next Wednesday. I'm not sure if I should focus solely on how Beyonce portrays herself or on how she and the interviewers portray themselves. Also, I don't really know what I should write my paragraphs about.
Reply 1
Original post by Kristel423
Hi, so I'm comparing two interviews with Beyonce, one with Piers Morgan and one with Ellen. But I'm not sure what to write about in my analysis and it's due next Wednesday. I'm not sure if I should focus solely on how Beyonce portrays herself or on how she and the interviewers portray themselves. Also, I don't really know what I should write my paragraphs about

I am OCR and I bet you are with AQA but I don't think the coursework section is too different!?

So you're going to do roughly three sections for your analysis: break it down- e.g. lexis, phonological, grammar, semantic

If you are going to do a section on lexis, you need to be more specific: are you going to look at pronoun use? are you going to look at types of nouns? are you going to look at determiners etc. Once you have chosen you then want to collect some quantitative data- so count the number of second-person pronouns 'you' and compare them- which text has the frequency? Then you want to begin to think of reasons why this could be- is it to do with who was interviewing? is it do with the topic being discussed? You'll also want to pick out quotes with the language device you are looking at being used and analyze what it is doing in the sentence, why they might have used it. You'll also need to see if you can see any relevant language concepts e.g. Fairclough if you look at pronouns. Also, research get some contextual information if there are similarities across both texts is it more to do with how Beyonce presents herself as empowering e.g. she has this image she must maintain.

I would defo recommend you look at phonological devices as yours is a spoken text- but narrow it down so the number of utterances.

You might find evidence of Lakoff's politeness principle- does Beyonce conform to a more submissive role- e.g. weak expletives, cloaked imperatives etc when she is being interviewed.
Reply 2
Original post by emma543
I am OCR and I bet you are with AQA but I don't think the coursework section is too different!?

So you're going to do roughly three sections for your analysis: break it down- e.g. lexis, phonological, grammar, semantic

If you are going to do a section on lexis, you need to be more specific: are you going to look at pronoun use? are you going to look at types of nouns? are you going to look at determiners etc. Once you have chosen you then want to collect some quantitative data- so count the number of second-person pronouns 'you' and compare them- which text has the frequency? Then you want to begin to think of reasons why this could be- is it to do with who was interviewing? is it do with the topic being discussed? You'll also want to pick out quotes with the language device you are looking at being used and analyze what it is doing in the sentence, why they might have used it. You'll also need to see if you can see any relevant language concepts e.g. Fairclough if you look at pronouns. Also, research get some contextual information if there are similarities across both texts is it more to do with how Beyonce presents herself as empowering e.g. she has this image she must maintain.

I would defo recommend you look at phonological devices as yours is a spoken text- but narrow it down so the number of utterances.

You might find evidence of Lakoff's politeness principle- does Beyonce conform to a more submissive role- e.g. weak expletives, cloaked imperatives etc when she is being interviewed.

thank you this was really helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending