The Student Room Group

Differentiating and simplifying

Hi,
Could someone pls help be solve Roys identity. I know that one has to use the quotient rule and I have put the final answer one gets. I am puzzled how to reach to the answer with all the simplication.

Thanks
Is this a level math
Reply 2
Original post by dn6326
Hi,
Could someone pls help be solve Roys identity. I know that one has to use the quotient rule and I have put the final answer one gets. I am puzzled how to reach to the answer with all the simplication.

Thanks

What do yo get when you use the quotient rule?
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
What do yo get when you use the quotient rule?

pls see attachment
Reply 4
Original post by dn6326
pls see attachment

From the answer you know where you want the p1, p2 and (p1+p2) terms to be in the final fraction, so combine the terms (multiply/divide) in the expression to get what you're after.
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
From the answer you know where you want the p1, p2 and (p1+p2) terms to be in the final fraction, so combine the terms (multiply/divide) in the expression to get what you're after.

Would be helpful if you could show the steps
Reply 6
Original post by dn6326
Would be helpful if you could show the steps

Factorise the 4 and y term to begin with. You'll benefit more trying to do as much as possible yourself.
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
Factorise the 4 and y term to begin with. You'll benefit more trying to do as much as possible yourself.

Hi there

I have factored out the y and 1/4 term, I am just really puzzled on the next steps. I have sat for about an hour now - really not moving forward! I would appreciate your wisdom please!! Any steps helpful for me to then work from if OK please ?
Reply 8
Original post by dn6326
Hi there

I have factored out the y and 1/4 term, I am just really puzzled on the next steps. I have sat for about an hour now - really not moving forward! I would appreciate your wisdom please!! Any steps helpful for me to then work from if OK please ?

If you upload what you've done?
The general advice is the same. Get the p1 and (p1+p2) terms on the denominator by factorising or dividing numerator and denominator. The answer tells you the powers you want.

Quick Reply