The Student Room Group

Fashion Course

hi there - I’m thinking of doing fashion promotion at Manchester Metropolitan University, and a requirement is to produce a portfolio of “15 examples of your work”. As I don’t sew, I don’t produce my own garments etc what does this “work” consist of?
Thanks
Original post by tomhughhes
hi there - I’m thinking of doing fashion promotion at Manchester Metropolitan University, and a requirement is to produce a portfolio of “15 examples of your work”. As I don’t sew, I don’t produce my own garments etc what does this “work” consist of?
Thanks

Fashion Promotion isn't fashion design/making. They'll be interested in your promotion ideas for various brands (or for your own "brand" ) - have a look for work from their current students on the course. It could be merchandising, blogs, zines, articles/styling, advertisements, branding etc etc
* Sketches of garments that you would make if you sew, with visual research on the same page. kind of like a mood board.
* Any media studies work- ie if you have created a fake advert for something.

I would highly suggest doing some sewing for this course and creating small examples of work along these lines would be good for a course like this. there is a lot on youtube to learn how to sew all sorts of patterns.
Reply 3
Original post by meaghan sharp
* Sketches of garments that you would make if you sew, with visual research on the same page. kind of like a mood board.
* Any media studies work- ie if you have created a fake advert for something.

I would highly suggest doing some sewing for this course and creating small examples of work along these lines would be good for a course like this. there is a lot on youtube to learn how to sew all sorts of patterns.

So in fashion promotion there is sewing and texiles? I thought there wasn’t hence choosing this course
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Fashion Promotion isn't fashion design/making. They'll be interested in your promotion ideas for various brands (or for your own "brand" ) - have a look for work from their current students on the course. It could be merchandising, blogs, zines, articles/styling, advertisements, branding etc etc

Okay thank you I will have a look - so you know if the whole portfolio will be due the same time as my UCASapplication v
Original post by tomhughhes
Okay thank you I will have a look - so you know if the whole portfolio will be due the same time as my UCASapplication v

That should be explained on the university website. Most universities don't ask for a portfolio with your application but will ask for it later on once they've checked your application and qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest