The Student Room Group

RAF Midwifery

Can you do Midwifery in the RAF? If so, would I be able to join if I'm already doing midwifery at University and potentially go straight into the second year, as I'm currently in first? Could I remain at the Univeristy I'm at? I'm at UEA by the way.
Reply 1
Original post by Jojo.J
Can you do Midwifery in the RAF? If so, would I be able to join if I'm already doing midwifery at University and potentially go straight into the second year, as I'm currently in first? Could I remain at the Univeristy I'm at? I'm at UEA by the way.

How much demand do you think there would be for midwives in the armed forces?
Original post by Jojo.J

All roles being recruited are outlined on the RAF website.

Do your degree and consider your options as you study. As stated, this is the RAF we're talking about and child delivery isn't a speciality it is known for. Reserves might be a option if you're set on joining and have interest in another role.
Reply 3
There were once RAF midwives - I was born in an RAF Hospital on an RAF base and there were midwives on the staff in the maternity wards.

I think, based on what I have read, that there may have been some RAF midwives based in Germany, as the medical provision when we had a substantial presence there had to cover whole families and their care needs, which were sometimes for midwifery care.

One place in which I know there to be midwifery care today is Cyprus; there were once actual Armed Forces Midwives based there but what has happened is that a joint SSAFA/ Guy's NHS Trust team has taken over the midwifery role; women, be they serving or dependants, receive their maternity care from the SSAFA/Guy's midwifery team.

Medical care in the Armed Forces has changed dramatically in the last 30 or so years; many single-service hospitals have closed and have been replaced by tri-service units which form part of an NHS Hospital, an example being Portsmouth, where Haslar closed and care for RN personnel moved to a unit within the Queen Alexandra Hospital.

I think that many people still talk about the care they or their friends or relatives received from Armed Forces midwives or from other staff in large single-service hospitals such as the RAF one in Wegberg, but they don't realise that the places they remember have closed down and that many aspects of Service family care have moved to the NHS, thus meaning that there is no need now to recruit and train midwives. When there is a gap, like in Cyrpus, or in Gibraltar, Germany or Belgium, midwifery provision comes from the SSAFA team.

It's because people do sometimes talk within families about midwives in the Armed Forces that people occasionally ask about it as a possible career, not realising that people are talking about Armed Forces healthcare 3 or 4 decades ago.

If you are interested in where the SSAFA midwives come from, JoJo, give them a call. It may be an option for you.

https://www.ssafa.org.uk/get-help/mental-wellbeing/health-care-for-the-military-community-overseas
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest