The Student Room Group

Girlfriend laughed at me

I mentioned something that I might be interested in doing to potentially have as a career and she laughed at it telling me how impossible it will be. I’m not going to say what it is because people on here will either laugh at my idea as well or take the idea off me but my girlfriend was laughing at me saying I’ll lose loads of money doing it. It upset me especially when she did something else, she was on the phone to her mate from uni, I overheard her laughing at me telling her mate my idea and they were both just talking about how impossible it is to do. I’m upset, she’s my own girlfriend laughing at my career ideas, it reminds me of when I was younger when my mum used to doubt me all the time and teachers in school doubting me it gave me flash backs to then, it hurt then and hurts now especially from your own gf or mum for that matter.

She’s seems to have got more “cocky” since she’s been at uni like she thinks she’s so pristine and everything. I love her and everything but she does seem so pristine or egotistical. She insults people like my mates and other people. She’s got all these “besties” that girls have, they constantly remind her how beautiful she is and stuff which she is. It’s just her insulting like, it had upset me how she laughed at my idea thing and doubted it. When she was laughing on the phone with her friend they were clearly both laughing which hurt my feelings. It’s not just this she has done, she’s done similar things like doubting me and etc with other people other than me. It’s just kind of “cocky” behaviour as her own mum calls it. I heard her own mum call her cocky when I went to her house once so clearly I’m not the issue. I love my girlfriend of course but I’m just hurt from what she said. I told her in the first place expecting her to maybe say it’s a good idea or something. Anyway if you aren’t going to laugh or spread my idea I can pm you what my idea was that she laughed at.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dump her, king. She's not respecting you or your vision.
The thing is with MOST relationships, people are looking at a long term type of thing. Whether that just entails companionship until you're old, marriage, children, etc. You clearly do love your girlfriend a lot but you also really care about your career goals. If this is something that you are genuinely passionate about, it's something that you're going to do in the future. In my opinion, talk about it with your girlfriend first. Not just about the career, but the fact that her dismissive behaviour is hurting you and making you feel inferior. And I'm sorry to say it, but if she still doesn't listen, it most likely won't work out if she doesn't listen to you. In the future, whether you achieve your goals or not, her comments will put a strain on the relationship
Reply 3
Original post by ważzer
Dump her, king. She's not respecting you or your vision.

I don’t think it’s that bad to the point I have to dump her, I just think it’s her getting “too big for her boots”
Reply 4
Original post by Malibuqueen
The thing is with MOST relationships, people are looking at a long term type of thing. Whether that just entails companionship until you're old, marriage, children, etc. You clearly do love your girlfriend a lot but you also really care about your career goals. If this is something that you are genuinely passionate about, it's something that you're going to do in the future. In my opinion, talk about it with your girlfriend first. Not just about the career, but the fact that her dismissive behaviour is hurting you and making you feel inferior. And I'm sorry to say it, but if she still doesn't listen, it most likely won't work out if she doesn't listen to you. In the future, whether you achieve your goals or not, her comments will put a strain on the relationship

But I don’t know if my idea is something everyone would react laughing
Original post by Anonymous
But I don’t know if my idea is something everyone would react laughing

I know you're not willing to say on here what it is so I can't really be blunt with you. But regardless of what it is, everything can be achieved if you put the work in. Even if it can't, your partner shouldn't LAUGH AT YOU or dismiss you like that
What is the idea? Maybe it is just a funny idea.
Reply 7
Original post by Malibuqueen
I know you're not willing to say on here what it is so I can't really be blunt with you. But regardless of what it is, everything can be achieved if you put the work in. Even if it can't, your partner shouldn't LAUGH AT YOU or dismiss you like that

I can dm the idea if you don’t steal it off me
Reply 8
Original post by Student-95
What is the idea? Maybe it is just a funny idea.

I’m not going to say here but I can pm it you if you want?
I can dm the idea if you don’t steal it off me

Bro dm me cos how can yo girl do that smh
I’m not going to say here but I can pm it you if you want?

Sure
Original post by tbi_zlx
Bro dm me cos how can yo girl do that smh

Original post by Student-95
Sure

I’ll dm you both but don’t spread it or tell anyone
I mentioned something that I might be interested in doing to potentially have as a career and she laughed at it telling me how impossible it will be. I’m not going to say what it is because people on here will either laugh at my idea as well or take the idea off me but my girlfriend was laughing at me saying I’ll lose loads of money doing it. It upset me especially when she did something else, she was on the phone to her mate from uni, I overheard her laughing at me telling her mate my idea and they were both just talking about how impossible it is to do. I’m upset, she’s my own girlfriend laughing at my career ideas, it reminds me of when I was younger when my mum used to doubt me all the time and teachers in school doubting me it gave me flash backs to then, it hurt then and hurts now especially from your own gf or mum for that matter.

She’s seems to have got more “cocky” since she’s been at uni like she thinks she’s so pristine and everything. I love her and everything but she does seem so pristine or egotistical. She insults people like my mates and other people. She’s got all these “besties” that girls have, they constantly remind her how beautiful she is and stuff which she is. It’s just her insulting like, it had upset me how she laughed at my idea thing and doubted it. When she was laughing on the phone with her friend they were clearly both laughing which hurt my feelings. It’s not just this she has done, she’s done similar things like doubting me and etc with other people other than me. It’s just kind of “cocky” behaviour as her own mum calls it. I heard her own mum call her cocky when I went to her house once so clearly I’m not the issue. I love my girlfriend of course but I’m just hurt from what she said. I told her in the first place expecting her to maybe say it’s a good idea or something. Anyway if you aren’t going to laugh or spread my idea I can pm you what my idea was that she laughed at.

You don't deserve to have your confidence knocked down like that, no one really does ;/. I'd say you should cut your losses with her.
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
You don't deserve to have your confidence knocked down like that, no one really does ;/. I'd say you should cut your losses with her.

Yes I’m just waiting for some other users to get back to on weather my idea was stupid enough to be laughed at
Maybe she’s just more realistic and genuinely doesn’t think it’s a good idea but even then it’s so heartless to laugh like that. I would talk to her and tell her that she’s been acting stuck up since being at uni and it’s not fair on you to put up with it
Pm me it too please
I won't laugh to you can message me the idea if you'd like and I might be able to advise more, but for now I'd call her out on it. She isn't thinking of your feelings, so you need to remind her that you still have them and that she's overstepped.

I doubt her intention was to hurt you, so just let her know that she did.
Yes I’m just waiting for some other users to get back to on weather my idea was stupid enough to be laughed at

what was it? maybe she was tryna help although if this is constantly her putting you down and not a one off thing then you really should leave
Original post by leopard202
Pm me it too please

Don’t spread it though then
Maybe she’s just more realistic and genuinely doesn’t think it’s a good idea but even then it’s so heartless to laugh like that. I would talk to her and tell her that she’s been acting stuck up since being at uni and it’s not fair on you to put up with it

Maybe but she’s cocky in other ways

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending