The Student Room Group

First online class (Zoom) and I feel really nervous. Any advice?

I have an online class (non-academic ) and I am feeling anxious. I haven't had zoom classes or meetings before and a few weeks ago had my first zoom interview. It went fine because it was only one person on the other end and it was fairly easy. Tomorrow morning, it will be a class of about 8 of us and I have no idea how that will be any different and I am scared of making a technical error and embarrassing myself in front of older and more experienced people who probably use zoom regularly and so need some advice. Thank you :smile:

I have social anxiety but I manage it usually but now that it is online, I am not sure how it will be any different and what the layout of the online class will be like and I am just really anxious. Is this normal?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elliot_2002
I have an online class (non-academic ) and I am feeling anxious. I haven't had zoom classes or meetings before and a few weeks ago had my first zoom interview. It went fine because it was only one person on the other end and it was fairly easy. Tomorrow morning, it will be a class of about 8 of us and I have no idea how that will be any different and I am scared of making a technical error and embarrassing myself in front of older and more experienced people who probably use zoom regularly and so need some advice. Thank you :smile:

I have social anxiety but I manage it usually but now that it is online, I am not sure how it will be any different and what the layout of the online class will be like and I am just really anxious. Is this normal?

since its non-academic it'll probably have a different layout, but (I'm assuming you aren't leading the call) you'll be fine- just follows what others are doing and stay calm.
in terms of technical errors, all you can do is make sure your camera and video are working as they're supposed to, and if you ever wanna mute- make sure its really muted before doing whatever you were gonna do.
i don't wanna push it, but could you tell me what kind of zoom call it is, cause non-academic can mean a lot of things
Reply 2

I would say it is totally normal! When I had my first online class I was practically on the verge of a panic attack. It's an unusual and therefore worrying experience! The main thing is to ask as many questions as possible (I learnt this the hard way and had to send a lengthy email to my teacher after the lesson because I was too scared to ask them live) and if your finding it hard to understand the content (learning online is slightly different to classroom learning so can be offputting at first) others definitely will too so just speak up! You got this! Good luck!
Try to stay calm - have a drink nearby to have in case your throat goes dry, try and make sure your background is fairly plain/appropriate etc. It can be nerve-wracking but everyone is a bit nervous, even after your 50th call. It sounds silly, but if you're wearing a jacket/jumper, then choose one that zips or buttons up so if you're too hot or cold then you can adjust without making a lot of movement. Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Hello

What kind of class is it? Stay calm- no alcohol of any sort however energy drinks or water is fine to have. Ensure that you are in a very quiet zone without any visual distractions that could distract you either. Good luck. I would also recommend that you make brief notes during the class as well as a means of remembering what was discussed etc too.
Reply 5
Original post by OCorOOC6337
Try to stay calm - have a drink nearby to have in case your throat goes dry, try and make sure your background is fairly plain/appropriate etc. It can be nerve-wracking but everyone is a bit nervous, even after your 50th call. It sounds silly, but if you're wearing a jacket/jumper, then choose one that zips or buttons up so if you're too hot or cold then you can adjust without making a lot of movement. Good luck!

Good tips, thanks! It's going to last for a little over 3 hours and so I am really concerned that if I momentarily lose focus, someone might notice. In real life it's easy to escape notice but since it's online it might be kind of obvious.
Reply 6
Original post by tinygirl96
Hello

What kind of class is it? Stay calm- no alcohol of any sort however energy drinks or water is fine to have. Ensure that you are in a very quiet zone without any visual distractions that could distract you either. Good luck. I would also recommend that you make brief notes during the class as well as a means of remembering what was discussed etc too.

Yes, I don't drink and I have a clear background and my lighting and sound fixed. I am just anxious because the meeting or rather the online class is going to last for 3 hours. I think I will try and relax and just be casual but I don't want to come across unbothered or too informal. They are all older than me as well and I feel a bit stupid.
(edited 3 years ago)
Good tips, thanks! It's going to last for a little over 3 hours and so I am really concerned that if I momentarily lose focus, someone might notice. In real life it's easy to escape notice but since it's online it might be kind of obvious.

I wouldn't worry about that too much - depending on the set-up, individual images are often quite small. Furthermore, if it's three hours long, they won't be expecting 100% attention the whole time (or if they are, then they're somewhat unreasonable) - just make sure you've got at least the basics at the table/desk with you and that any pets or siblings are kept out. Whilst it's more than forgivable if they do turn up (and a sweet sight too, for everyone else) if you're anxious it's best to leave them out of the mix, you know?
Overall, try to make sure you'll be physically comfortable and calm - it helps a lot with the awkwardness of things, or at least it did for me!

PS: ensure that any emails you've received don't mention any other applications/ letters/ powerpoints you need to have read beforehand. It's not the most likely and you'll like already be fully aware if so, but I found that checking things like that helped me feel ready and less chance of being caught off-guard later on. Good luck~
Reply 8
Original post by faithmb
I would say it is totally normal! When I had my first online class I was practically on the verge of a panic attack. It's an unusual and therefore worrying experience! The main thing is to ask as many questions as possible (I learnt this the hard way and had to send a lengthy email to my teacher after the lesson because I was too scared to ask them live) and if your finding it hard to understand the content (learning online is slightly different to classroom learning so can be offputting at first) others definitely will too so just speak up! You got this! Good luck!

Thank you :smile: can you tell me a bit about the layout? Do most people keep their audio on throughout the entire class?
Thank you :smile: can you tell me a bit about the layout? Do most people keep their audio on throughout the entire class?

Not to jump in, but for my classes we all muted ourselves to prevent feedback, and then unmuted to ask a Q or answer the teacher, although some people would only use chat if it was a Q for the whole group (to prevent talking over each other) or if their mic was broken, so there's always options. I expect it'll be much the same as the feedback is a tech-based thing. Stops you needing to worry about a creaky chair or noisy neighbours too!
Original post by netflix84
since its non-academic it'll probably have a different layout, but (I'm assuming you aren't leading the call) you'll be fine- just follows what others are doing and stay calm.
in terms of technical errors, all you can do is make sure your camera and video are working as they're supposed to, and if you ever wanna mute- make sure its really muted before doing whatever you were gonna do.
i don't wanna push it, but could you tell me what kind of zoom call it is, cause non-academic can mean a lot of things

No, I don't mind sharing at all. So I received a link, meeting ID and passcode and there are about 8-9 of us who are attending this meeting (or class, whatever you want to call it). I have Zoom on my laptop though (the app) so I am guessing I don't need the link, only the ID and passcode. Is that correct?
No, I don't mind sharing at all. So I received a link, meeting ID and passcode and there are about 8-9 of us who are attending this meeting (or class, whatever you want to call it). I have Zoom on my laptop though (the app) so I am guessing I don't need the link, only the ID and passcode. Is that correct?

when I have zoom calls I just go on the link and it takes me to their personal meeting room - but you can do it either way- I suggest you give yourself 10 minutes at the start to test out which you'd prefer to use.
you should keep your mic on when you join to say hi and that you're here, but if you see that others have muted themselves (and you can see that btw), then mute yourself when you're not talking or being spoken to directly. also, 3 hours is quite a long time, so keep some refreshments handy, lastly, as others have said before, make notes and nod occasionally so people can confirm that you're listening.

feel free to ask any more questions, I've got literally nothing to do for the next few hours anyways : )
Original post by OCorOOC6337
I wouldn't worry about that too much - depending on the set-up, individual images are often quite small. Furthermore, if it's three hours long, they won't be expecting 100% attention the whole time (or if they are, then they're somewhat unreasonable) - just make sure you've got at least the basics at the table/desk with you and that any pets or siblings are kept out. Whilst it's more than forgivable if they do turn up (and a sweet sight too, for everyone else) if you're anxious it's best to leave them out of the mix, you know?
Overall, try to make sure you'll be physically comfortable and calm - it helps a lot with the awkwardness of things, or at least it did for me!

PS: ensure that any emails you've received don't mention any other applications/ letters/ powerpoints you need to have read beforehand. It's not the most likely and you'll like already be fully aware if so, but I found that checking things like that helped me feel ready and less chance of being caught off-guard later on. Good luck~

Yeah I think I will keep my door shut and I do have my background sorted out. I am more anxious about the set-up, not knowing what to expect tomorrow that is worrying me. I will try to relax and if I do something stupid, I will make sure to laugh at myself lol

Thanks!
when I have zoom calls I just go on the link and it takes me to their personal meeting room - but you can do it either way- I suggest you give yourself 10 minutes at the start to test out which you'd prefer to use.
you should keep your mic on when you join to say hi and that you're here, but if you see that others have muted themselves (and you can see that btw), then mute yourself when you're not talking or being spoken to directly. also, 3 hours is quite a long time, so keep some refreshments handy, lastly, as others have said before, make notes and nod occasionally so people can confirm that you're listening.

feel free to ask any more questions, I've got literally nothing to do for the next few hours anyways : )

Perfect, thank you! Is it odd for people to turn their camera off? I don't intend to but I am just wondering if it would be rude to or not if I want to take a break to just drink water or something. Would it be better to do that with my camera on or off? I think I am overthinking this because it's not formal or anything but I am just worried about sticking out for the wrong reasons.
Thanks everyone :smile: I feel much better now having talked to you all. I will try and relax tomorrow and just enjoy the meeting as much as I can. Thanks for all the help
Perfect, thank you! Is it odd for people to turn their camera off? I don't intend to but I am just wondering if it would be rude to or not if I want to take a break to just drink water or something. Would it be better to do that with my camera on or off? I think I am overthinking this because it's not formal or anything but I am just worried about sticking out for the wrong reasons.

Yeah I get it, and I don't think you should turn your camera off- just to be respectful, you know?
Besides water is completely fine to drink with your camera on- unless you're prone to spilling it all over yourself ofc ; )
No I'm just kidding everything's gonna be great, good luck!
Yeah I get it, and I don't think you should turn your camera off- just to be respectful, you know?
Besides water is completely fine to drink with your camera on- unless you're prone to spilling it all over yourself ofc ; )
No I'm just kidding everything's gonna be great, good luck!

Yes, I did think it seemed like a rude thing to do. My cousin who has regular Zoom classes said people tend to turn off their camera and it's normal so I assumed it was the norm. I will just keep it on even if others occasionally turn theirs off.
Hahaha thank you, I feel so much calmer now. You have been so helpful. I can't thank you enough.
Yes, I did think it seemed like a rude thing to do. My cousin who has regular Zoom classes said people tend to turn off their camera and it's normal so I assumed it was the norm. I will just keep it on even if others occasionally turn theirs off.
Hahaha thank you, I feel so much calmer now. You have been so helpful. I can't thank you enough.

No problemm, I just didn't want you to go through what I did. Still have ptsd from that trauma.

If you want to know what happened:

I thought I muted myself, and then extensively cussed out a very important student while hitting myself in the face with a pencil. And when everyone went silent I threw myself off my chair and ran away- I didn't even leave the meeting, so people could just see the pencil lying there in my place as a reminder of my embarrassment for the remainder of the call.

but I was just very stupid so don't worry abt your call : )
(edited 3 years ago)
No problemm, I just didn't want you to go through what I did. Still have ptsd from that trauma.

If you want to know what happened:

I thought I muted myself, and then extensively cussed out a very important student while hitting myself in the face with a pencil. And when everyone went silent I threw myself off my chair and ran away- I didn't even leave the meeting, so people could just the pencil lying there in my place as a reminder of my embarrassment for the remainder of the call.

I am sorry that happened to you. On the bright side, you have a hilarious story to share now :wink: Are you a teacher? I will make sure to behave haha this sounds like something that would easily happen to me if I am not careful. Thanks again.
I am sorry that happened to you. On the bright side, you have a hilarious story to share now :wink: Are you a teacher? I will make sure to behave haha this sounds like something that would easily happen to me if I am not careful. Thanks again.

Oh god I just imaged myself as a teacher and I burst out laughing.

I'm a uni student, but in our calls, there's this one guy who thinks he's the **** and talks like it too. Unfortunately, he is actually the **** (done a lot of charity work and donated to the school and such) and I really dug my own grave after that zoom call haha.

Quick Reply

Latest