The Student Room Group

Why do people get degrees in anything outside of STEM ?

I understand people can have passions for the subjects, and understand why you might get a degree if you want to go into research / teaching in that field.

But you are only doing it because you are interested in the field, regardless of its job prospects, why don't you just read books about the area etc instead of attending full on university ?

Btw this isn't meant to put any degrees down, but evidently many have much better job prospects than others.

Scroll to see replies

Because too many employers are saying that you need a 2:1 degree these days.
Do you mean that if the degree isn’t in Stem then what’s the point?
Or do you mean why do people go to uni if they don’t want to use it for a job?
Mainstream society has plenty of enthusiasm for non-STEM related qualifications and professionals.
Plenty of employment roles for those with degrees in business, culinary arts, economics, english, foreign languages, graphic design, history, hotel management, law, music, film studies, sports studies.
Reply 4
Original post by GabiAbi84
Do you mean that if the degree isn’t in Stem then what’s the point?
Or do you mean why do people go to uni if they don’t want to use it for a job?

Well, if there are job prospects it makes sense to go. But if there aren't any, then what is the point when you can learn the same stuff out of a £30 textbook in a library with others.
Reply 5
Original post by londonmyst
Mainstream society has plenty of enthusiasm for non-STEM related qualifications and professionals.
Plenty of employment roles for those with degrees in business, culinary arts, economics, english, foreign languages, graphic design, history, hotel management, law, music, film studies, sports studies.

Do you really need a degree in MFL to show you can speak them ? Do you really need an MBA to start a business ? In fact, I have read that on average, businesses run by people with MBAs are less likely succeed than when run by those without them.
I guess some people want to experience university but have no interest in a STEM field. It makes sense to do a degree you will excel in, instead of doing one that you hate!
Reply 7
Original post by 5hyl33n
I guess some people want to experience university but have no interest in a STEM field. It makes sense to do a degree you will excel in, instead of doing one that you hate!

That is the most likely reason I can think of.
Original post by seals2001
That is the most likely reason I can think of.

Medicine seems to be becoming a lot more popular. I wonder if it's because of the assumption that you earn a lot of money, being forced into the career by parents or a genuine interest.
Reply 9
Original post by 5hyl33n
Medicine seems to be becoming a lot more popular. I wonder if it's because of the assumption that you earn a lot of money, being forced into the career by parents or a genuine interest.

You are correct. But a job is guaranteed at the end of it as well as a comfortable life.
Reply 10
there’s no point in having a stem degree unless you plan on working in something to do with science, technology, engineering or maths. majority of jobs don’t actually fall into these categories when you think about and they’re still important jobs including government, teaching, journalism, law, law enforcement, finance, marketing, real estate to name a few. might as well do a degree that can give you some background on whatever industry you want to work in. also society couldn’t run if everyone wanted to be engineers and mathematicians.
Do you really need a degree in MFL to show you can speak them ? Do you really need an MBA to start a business ? In fact, I have read that on average, businesses run by people with MBAs are less likely succeed than when run by those without them.

Many translation and foreign language teaching positions prefer applicants with mfl degrees.
I know quite a few companies that refuse to recruit any consultants, directors or senior managers that don't have mba's.
Did you forget about all the other non STEM related jobs? Like authors, presenters, historians, artists, musicians, lawyers, chefs etc. The list goes on. I'm sure you wouldn't be able to live your life the way you do without having non STEM jobs.
And if everyone did a STEM related career, the world would be a boring place.
(edited 3 years ago)
I understand people can have passions for the subjects, and understand why you might get a degree if you want to go into research / teaching in that field.

But you are only doing it because you are interested in the field, regardless of its job prospects, why don't you just read books about the area etc instead of attending full on university ?

Btw this isn't meant to put any degrees down, but evidently many have much better job prospects than others.

Because people are passionate. They can't help it. And they have a strong will to break through their field of choice. Some people may change their minds later and opt for a STEM degree after completion/during their time.
Reply 14
Original post by KelsieTaylor
Did you forget about all the other non STEM related jobs? Like authors, presenters, historians, artists, musicians, lawyers, chefs etc. The list goes on. I'm sure you wouldn't be able to live your life the way you do without having non STEM jobs.
And if everyone did a STEM related career, the world would be a boring place.

Since when did you need to have a degree to become a writer, or to become a chef, or to be an artist / musician ?
Since when did you need to have a degree to become a writer, or to become a chef, or to be an artist / musician ?

You don't, but they are not STEM careers are they?
This is such a TSR post lol

You don't have to but some people go for degrees.

You might not “need” to but they can open up more doors than if you didn’t so why shouldn’t people get degrees in these subjects?
Reply 19
Original post by KelsieTaylor
You don't, but they are not STEM careers are they?

Exactly, so why get a degree if you don't need one and it is gonna cost a lot when you can learn much more by actually doing the thing ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending