The Student Room Group

Anyone applied for RCA 2021?

Hi guys,

I applied for Visual Communication at the Royal College of Art a couple days before the deadline and was wondering if anyone here applied to RCA too.

Would love to hear from anyone who did!

Also, I’m a bit curious about the acceptance process. Firstly, they say we will receive our outcome in December, and then they follow it with “if you are invited for interview...” To me, that implies that they won’t be interviewing all the applicants that are ultimately successful (I’ve seen previous statements from the staff saying due to large numbers of apps, they sometimes rely solely on your portfolio, statement and vid and may not need to interview if you’re successful). That’s really nerve-wracking knowing it might be all up to what we just submitted to get us in.

Anyway, let me know if there’s anyone here who’s applied. Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by unistudent99
Hi guys,

I applied for Visual Communication at the Royal College of Art a couple days before the deadline and was wondering if anyone here applied to RCA too.

Would love to hear from anyone who did!

Also, I’m a bit curious about the acceptance process. Firstly, they say we will receive our outcome in December, and then they follow it with “if you are invited for interview...” To me, that implies that they won’t be interviewing all the applicants that are ultimately successful (I’ve seen previous statements from the staff saying due to large numbers of apps, they sometimes rely solely on your portfolio, statement and vid and may not need to interview if you’re successful). That’s really nerve-wracking knowing it might be all up to what we just submitted to get us in.

Anyway, let me know if there’s anyone here who’s applied. Good luck!

Hi! Yeh I applied for MA Painting a few days ago. I'm not totally sure about the process this year but I applied last year and it seemed like they didn't do interviews in the first round and I also remember that many people heard back in January/February even though the official date to hear back if successful was sometime in December. So if you don't hear back in December don't be too worried :smile: But I don't know if they are doing the same thing this year and what Visual Communication is doing in particular, good luck with your application :smile:
Original post by Annie305
Hi! Yeh I applied for MA Painting a few days ago. I'm not totally sure about the process this year but I applied last year and it seemed like they didn't do interviews in the first round and I also remember that many people heard back in January/February even though the official date to hear back if successful was sometime in December. So if you don't hear back in December don't be too worried :smile: But I don't know if they are doing the same thing this year and what Visual Communication is doing in particular, good luck with your application :smile:

Oh wow, that’s good to know! Thanks for sharing that. Best of luck this year :smile:
Hi! I applied for MA Design Products a few days ago. I'm so nervous about the process...and I feel like my odds of getting in are pretty slim...but oh well we'll see :frown: I've only decided to apply like 2 weeks before the deadline so I crammed my portfolio and video statement..and making matters even worse, my professor submitted the reference letter late .... And I'm international, so yh... fingers crossed.. and I hope I don't get the interview cos the time zone difference makes it frustrating... :frown:
Hello!

I applied to MA Architecture and rejected my place last year. I came from round 2 and applied again this year in round 1.

To add about the application process, I can say/ confirm that you must take deadlines with a pinch of salt. They are very late with providing offers and (maybe due to COVID) there were cases of people receiving offers a couple of weeks before the start of the first term!

Last year, round 1 did not have interviews but I know that they would give out interviews if they wanted to know more about the candidate. In round 2 interviews were something that you had to do.

Interviews are nothing to worry about. Mine was a mini-presentation of your work and after that, it became a very casual conversation (the interviewer I had was very nice and incredibly helpful even after the interview). Round 2 had interviews from February onwards.

They may have changed the process to apply, so again, take things with a pinch of salt.

Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by felicity1028
Hi! I applied for MA Design Products a few days ago. I'm so nervous about the process...and I feel like my odds of getting in are pretty slim...but oh well we'll see :frown: I've only decided to apply like 2 weeks before the deadline so I crammed my portfolio and video statement..and making matters even worse, my professor submitted the reference letter late .... And I'm international, so yh... fingers crossed.. and I hope I don't get the interview cos the time zone difference makes it frustrating... :frown:

Hi! I’m really nervous about everything too as I think my chances are near non-existent... but oh well, you never know :smile: I also had just a couple weeks to prepare as I wanted to apply for a while but realized pretty late that RCA deadlines are so early lol. Plus, my tutor finished the reference letter with one day to spare so that was stressful... Best of luck!

Original post by evolvingarch
Hello!

I applied to MA Architecture and rejected my place last year. I came from round 2 and applied again this year in round 1.

To add about the application process, I can say/ confirm that you must take deadlines with a pinch of salt. They are very late with providing offers and (maybe due to COVID) there were cases of people receiving offers a couple of weeks before the start of the first term!

Last year, round 1 did not have interviews but I know that they would give out interviews if they wanted to know more about the candidate. In round 2 interviews were something that you had to do.

Interviews are nothing to worry about. Mine was a mini-presentation of your work and after that, it became a very casual conversation (the interviewer I had was very nice and incredibly helpful even after the interview). Round 2 had interviews from February onwards.

They may have changed the process to apply, so again, take things with a pinch of salt.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the insight! Good luck this year :smile:
Original post by unistudent99
Hi! I’m really nervous about everything too as I think my chances are near non-existent... but oh well, you never know :smile: I also had just a couple weeks to prepare as I wanted to apply for a while but realized pretty late that RCA deadlines are so early lol. Plus, my tutor finished the reference letter with one day to spare so that was stressful... Best of luck!

Thanks so much for the insight! Good luck this year :smile:

But tbh, the second wave of COVID got me pretty anxious about going to England...I'm from the US and I know it's not any better here (and the election...), but I feel like no one's certain about what's gonna happen next year or where COVID would take us, so I'm thinking that even if I do get in, I might as well defer one year...but oh well, I'm hoping for the best :redface:
But tbh, the second wave of COVID got me pretty anxious about going to England...I'm from the US and I know it's not any better here (and the election...), but I feel like no one's certain about what's gonna happen next year or where COVID would take us, so I'm thinking that even if I do get in, I might as well defer one year...but oh well, I'm hoping for the best :redface:

Yeah, that’s a fair plan. I’m currently completing my BA remotely (out of the UK) as my uni’s in London and there’s no way I’m voluntarily traveling into that mess right now :s-smilie: It honestly makes me depressed trying to think when it’s gonna end... hopefully everything turns out well for us!
Hey y'all,

Just jumping in to wish everyone good luck!
I'm waiting to hear back for the GID program and want to stick around in the thread to know when (if?) interview emails go out.
(edited 3 years ago)
Anyone got multiple emails saying their application is being reviewed? Is the system glitching out?
(edited 3 years ago)
Anyone got multiple emails saying their application is being reviewed? Is the system glitching out?

I only received one email. Did you edit your application and resubmit by chance?
I've received one email only as well. Did you apply for multiple programmes? If not, I guess it would just be a glitch?
I've received one email only as well. Did you apply for multiple programmes? If not, I guess it would just be a glitch?

No, only one submission and no edits. Received one Tuesday and another today
No, only one submission and no edits. Received one Tuesday and another today

Oh that's weird..and I've received mine today, 2 hours ago to be exact
Oh that's weird..and I've received mine today, 2 hours ago to be exact

Peculiar indeed
Reply 15
Hey everyone! I applied to the MA Textiles at the RCA few days before Round 1 deadline. I'm excited nervous to see the updates on my application. I did get an email from them yesterday saying that my application is currently being reviewed. As someone earlier mentioned, I too was wondering if there weren't going to be interviews for Round 1 and from reading the above messages it seems like they most probably might not (?) but I guess that depends with the admission committee for each course and the amount of application they receive. Good Luck everyone x
Hey Y'all,

Just wanted to let you know that for the program I applied to (GID) they are going to be doing round 1 interviews. I got an email this morning telling me I have an interview next week

Good luck everyone!
Hi! Is there anyone who applied for ceramic? 3 days left till the interview week and there's no email or invitation yet.😿 So frustrating!
I wonder if RCA already announced interviewees.
I think it is the same for most of us. I haven't heard anything. I believe it would be hard to interview the hundreds and thousands of applicants of each discipline within 1 week.As I mentioned before most round 1 applicants didn't get an interview last year and got accepted. Whilst we will never know for sure, I think we should just wait till the 10th.
No interview email here ( IDE) so just going to assume I was not invited!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending