The Student Room Group

15 and never got confirmed

idk what to do? I haven't been to church in years!! what do I do?? it's really late now isn't it?? :// my family are athiest but I want a community again and I like the Bible. I might want to be Jewish one day but until then I still want a religion :frown:
Original post by csmh1912
idk what to do? I haven't been to church in years!! what do I do?? it's really late now isn't it?? :// my family are athiest but I want a community again and I like the Bible. I might want to be Jewish one day but until then I still want a religion :frown:

Unless you have Jewish heritage, a rabbi will not confirm you or allow you to be a Jew- you can’t choose to be Jewish.

Have you been baptised and had your holy communion? You can get confirmed at any age we had a 50 yr old in our group doing it :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by linedpaper
Unless you have Jewish heritage, a rabbi will not confirm you or allow you to be a Jew- you can’t choose to be Jewish.

hey nah I meant my catholic confirmation :smile:)
Reply 4
Original post by SuperiorPotato
Have you been baptised and had your holy communion? You can get confirmed at any age we had a 50 yr old in our group doing it :smile:

hey I have! and oh okay, how do I do it? do my parents need to sort it out? it's putting me off that I don't know anyone at any nearby churches/chapels :frown:(
(edited 3 years ago)
It’s definitely never too late to get confirmed! I got confirmed at 16. I’m sure if you just pop into a local church, and ask about it they’ll be able to tell you more :smile:
(I’m talking about my CofE experience which could be different to how Catholics go about it) but I just spoke to the priest at my church (in covid times you may have to find a phone number and ring them up) and said that I wanted to be confirmed, and they mostly sorted it out from there!
hey I have! and oh okay, how do I do it? do my parents need to sort it out? it's putting me off that I don't know anyone at any nearby churches/chapels :frown:(

Ah you need a sponsor and just go talk to your closest church they'll be friendly and help you out :smile: Don't stress about it darling
Original post by linedpaper

This is not true.
Reply 9
Original post by mikrokosmos
It’s definitely never too late to get confirmed! I got confirmed at 16. I’m sure if you just pop into a local church, and ask about it they’ll be able to tell you more :smile:

oh does it have to be a Catholic one though?? or anu Christian church that I agree with? and thanks !! do you have to study the Bible or something? for how long?
Reply 10
Original post by SuperiorPotato
Ah you need a sponsor and just go talk to your closest church they'll be friendly and help you out :smile: Don't stress about it darling

ah okay!! thanks habibi 😘
Reply 11
Original post by black tea
This is not true.

you're right lmao idk what they're on about
Reply 12
Original post by laurawatt
(I’m talking about my CofE experience which could be different to how Catholics go about it) but I just spoke to the priest at my church (in covid times you may have to find a phone number and ring them up) and said that I wanted to be confirmed, and they mostly sorted it out from there!

ah how long did it take? what was the process? like do you study the Bible? and can I change from Catholicism to say,,, eastern orthodoxy? idk
ah okay!! thanks habibi 😘

No problem
Respect other people’s religions.
Reply 15
lol I have just turned 15!! that's the least of my worries. there's not THAT much of a difference anyway... why do you care so much??
(edited 3 years ago)
ah how long did it take? what was the process? like do you study the Bible? and can I change from Catholicism to say,,, eastern orthodoxy? idk

They said in the service that there would be upcoming baptism+confirmation services (it's a fairly big church), so I spoke the priest afterwards and they just arranged it, went to a meeting with the other people getting confirmed a few weeks later and then got confirmed a few weeks after that!

I mean you do have to be a Christian to get confirmed in a church, you know that right? You can be a Christian without being confirmed if you don't want to commit to a particular branch of Christianity now
I think Catholicism and the Eastern Orthodox Church are pretty different aren't they? (I am neither so I don't really know tbh :colondollar:)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by laurawatt
They said in the service that there would be upcoming baptism+confirmation services (it's a fairly big church), so I spoke the priest afterwards and they just arranged it, went to a meeting with the other people getting confirmed a few weeks later and then got confirmed a few weeks after that!

I mean you do have to be a Christian to get confirmed in a church, you know that right? You can be a Christian without being confirmed if you don't want to commit to a particular branch of Christianity now
I think Catholicism and the Eastern Orthodox Church are pretty different aren't they? (I am neither so I don't really know tbh :colondollar:)

yeah that's what I mean. I want to be Eastern orthodox but I was baptized catholic. so do I need to be baptized again? I don't think so? do I just phone them/email them?
yeah that's what I mean. I want to be Eastern orthodox but I was baptized catholic. so do I need to be baptized again? I don't think so? do I just phone them/email them?

ahhh I see! probably worth phoning/emailing them to find out :yep:
oh does it have to be a Catholic one though?? or anu Christian church that I agree with? and thanks !! do you have to study the Bible or something? for how long?

I’m not sure if other churches do it, depends if it’s Catholicism you’re going into. I didn’t have to study the Bible at all! Obviously it depends on the Church you go to, I’d did mine 2 years ago and I just had to attend about three 2-hour sessions where we discussed the sacraments, some bible scriptures etc. but that was it and it was a lot less than I did for my communion!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending