The Student Room Group

uni courses

If I apply for a course with a entry requirements of BBB and i have achieved grades of BBC , are they likely to reject me?
Original post by Antimatter123
If I apply for a course with a entry requirements of BBB and i have achieved grades of BBC , are they likely to reject me?

Which universities are you applying to? Some universities are more lenient than others. Also have you checked if you are eligible for contextual offers? I have been offered contextual offers which are two grades lower than the entry requirement! (i.e. AAB to BBB)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by abbbbbb.
Which universities are you applying to? Some universities are more lenient than others. Also have you checked if you are eligible for contextual offers? I have been offered contextual offers which are two grades lower than the entry requirement! (i.e. AAB to BBB)

i'm thinking brunel , queen mary foundation courses and some other unis. I've done my autumn exams in bio and chem and i'm assuming i'm going to get BB. i also did psy but i got a CAG of a C.
I haven't really heard of Brunels before! but I did some research on the university on unifrog (as I am currently looking for a fifth university to apply to) and it said for business the typical offer last year was BCD! So I think you have got a chance of getting in :smile:
I haven't really heard of Brunels before! but I did some research on the university on unifrog (as I am currently looking for a fifth university to apply to) and it said for business the typical offer last year was BCD! So I think you have got a chance of getting in :smile:

what course and what uni did you apply to that gave you that offer. But i don't know if i'm likely to get a contextual offer
what course and what uni did you apply to that gave you that offer. But i don't know if i'm likely to get a contextual offer

Contextual offers are given to students who meet certain conditions. Some dont make them and those that do often have different. As a general rule the criteria includes:-
Living in an area of low progression to university according to post codeBeing in a school whose A level results are in the bottom 40% the previous year..
Attended a summer school at the university.

Some may only accept 1 of these criteria. Others all. Some universities require more than 1 to apply.

Other criteria include the first member of a family to go to university or being from certain racial groups.

The university will be able to tell you whether they make contextual offers and what grades they expect.

Universities sometimes show a range of offers and the lower one is usually for contextual offers.

;
-

So the universities which I applied to which gave me a contextual offer were Leeds and York. I haven't received any other offers yet, but I think I qualify for a contextual offer at Sussex. Both york and leeds offered BBB. I think Sussex might give the offer BCC? But I guess I'll have to wait to find out I am I eligible.

To check for a contextual offer check your postcode with the office for students website (https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/data-and-analysis/young-participation-by-area/search-by-postcode/) and if you have quintile 2 for POLAR 4 you qualify for a contextual offer at York. & If you went to a secondary school/current school which is below average you can get a contextual offer from Leeds! There are other criteria as well but they are the ones that I qualify for.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
So the universities which I applied to which gave me a contextual offer were Leeds and York. I haven't received any other offers yet, but I think I qualify for a contextual offer at Sussex. Both york and leeds offered BBB. I think Sussex might give the offer BCC? But I guess I'll have to wait to find out I am I eligible.

To check for a contextual offer check your postcode with the office for students website (https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/data-and-analysis/young-participation-by-area/search-by-postcode/) and if you have quintile 2 for POLAR 4 you qualify for a contextual offer at York. & If you went to a secondary school/current school which is below average you can get a contextual offer from Leeds! There are other criteria as well but they are the ones that I qualify for.

Hope this helps :smile:

Yh, i checked i'm not eligible for contextual offer. This means i would have to resit the C grade in the summer
Yh, i checked i'm not eligible for contextual offer. This means i would have to resit the C grade in the summer

that's a shame! Well best of luck with your resit & I hope you get into Brunels/other universities :smile:
I still don't know if its worth applying to the unis
Two things to be aware of :
1) There is no universal criteria for Contextual offers. Each University makes its own decision based on its own criteria. Some Universities are very clear about exactly how you qualify and what the offer would be (Bristol as one example), others are appallingly vague and say things like 'relevant criteria will be taken into account' with no indication of what that means or what the offer would be.
2) Be careful of 'statistics' that tell you what grades have been accepted with in previous years. It may include those with mitigating circumstances, overseas applicants, and clearing applicants. And it was last year. So - it wont tell you if you will be made an offer with those grades.
my question is still not answered.If I apply for a course with a entry requirements of BBB and i have achieved grades of BBC , are they likely to reject me?

It’s worth applying for, but nobody can answer your question fully. You should apply as you do have a chance, but nobody can tell you whether you will or won’t be accepted. As long as your other university choices meet your grades, there is no harm in applying for one slightly outside of your grades.
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
It’s worth applying for, but nobody can answer your question fully. You should apply as you do have a chance, but nobody can tell you whether you will or won’t be accepted. As long as your other university choices meet your grades, there is no harm in applying for one slightly outside of your grades.

Yh the problem is nearly all the courses require BBB, others that offer lower is where i don't want to go and i meet them
Yh the problem is nearly all the courses require BBB, others that offer lower is where i don't want to go and i meet them

Well then your options are foundation years, resitting or applying and see what happens. It’s completely up to you. Some unis may be more lenient than others but nobody can guarantee that you will or won’t be accepted. Ultimately you have to decide whether to apply.

I know that Swansea generally tend to be quite flexible over grades for most subjects. I know someone was given an unconditional this year with BCD and also had offers elsewhere. Nobody can tell you for definite that you will get an offer. Things might be different this year because of grade inflation last year. The only thing you can do is apply and hope you get in. Should you get 5 rejections which I suspect is unlikely then you can apply to universities with lower grades through extra in Feb.
Well then your options are foundation years, resitting or applying and see what happens. It’s completely up to you. Some unis may be more lenient than others but nobody can guarantee that you will or won’t be accepted. Ultimately you have to decide whether to apply.

Yh , i might just resit the other subject in summer. I just don't want to spend another year doing a foundation course

I want to apply to Kingston for pharmacy , they require 120 ucas points and I’m assuming will get/have 112 . So I want to really apply there but if it likely they will reject then I dont want to waste that option as I could I apply for another course as I don’t have one course in mind
I want to apply to Kingston for pharmacy , they require 120 ucas points and I’m assuming will get/have 112 . So I want to really apply there but if it likely they will reject then I dont want to waste that option as I could I apply for another course as I don’t have one course in mind

This is based on me getting BB in autumn exams / I could maybe maybe get A/B but that’s not gurranteed and is unlikely since I messed up one of the papers really bad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending