The Student Room Group

Should I report this?

I was out for the day in London Oxford Circus shopping. I didn't think for a second I was going to be accused of something I didn't do . I walked into a lingerie store with good intentions to spend my money. Nothing out of ordinary in this store I'm acknowledged and ignored by the assistant however that all changes when get to the changing room and I'm half naked a rude ignorant assistant comes by my changing room invading my privacy and ask "what are you doing in there" then ask if I'm doing anything that implies I might be doing something else. Thanks for making my experience stress free. I left the room and another assistant was waiting behind the curtain any closer she could peek through. I tried to politely explain. She said she heard rustling threatened the police was outside and started making fun of me copying my hand gestures as she pointing to the door. Mortified I emptied my bag full of paid items with their receipt she look puzzled and looked over at her colleague like she was gutted she didn't find anything stolen. She asked "why are you here" I couldn't believe this girl rudeness and bad attitude. Instead of apologise she said "you always exchange you don't know your size" in a patronising tone of voice. No I replied. This scumbag clearly wanted to argue but I just was not prepared. I'm autistic and have other mental illnesses. I think she was using that as a excuse to frame me for stealing. She just paused stood staring at me until I said did nothing. No apology she let me leave as normal. So confused my head was exploding. I couldn't let the bully get away with treating me like that. Had to report this to someone but something stopped me from ringing the police. I walked down the street to different branch of that company and told them what had happened they was very polite and friendly and I got a apology from them instead. I cried all the way home. Will the assistant that harassed me be sacked now that I reported this incident to another branch. What should I do? Should I report this to the police? Should I leave a bad review? I need advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't bother the police with this, it's not a criminal matter.

Nothing will happen after reporting it to another branch in person as you haven't made a formal complaint or goven ebough detail. You could write to the branch manager or contact the company customer service, but you would need to provide an intelligible factual account and clearly identify the assistants you had interaction with.
Firstly, were you allowed to try things on? Because of coronavirus, many shops will not open the changing rooms and ask you not to try on items. Were you allowed to do that here or were the shop assistants trying to ask you to stop?

If you are in the right, then no, nothing will be done as you reported it to a completely different store. There was no formal complaint made, and the shop you spoke to has no evidence of the incident occurring because you’ve made it simply your word against hers.

If you want to go through the effort of “getting her fired” as you say, you’ll have to do a lot more. A formal complaint to the shop manager, contacting customer service etc. However, unless you have accurate recollection of the event and the shop assistants identity, not a lot will happen.

And don’t bother police with this. It’s not a criminal offence and just seems silly to try and involve them when they have more important things to look into
(edited 3 years ago)
Write an email, to the manager of that specific branch! Honestly, you cannot do much! So sorry this happened to you x
I would advise you avoid that store in future. You can go to police they will do something like get you in contact with someone. The way the assistant treated you is totally wrong on so many levels all I can put it down to is they haven't been trained. I'm sorry this happened to you.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I was out for the day in London Oxford Circus shopping. I didn't think for a second I was going to be accused of something I didn't do . I walked into a lingerie store with good intentions to spend my money. Nothing out of ordinary in this store I'm acknowledged and ignored by the assistant however that all changes when get to the changing room and I'm half naked a rude ignorant assistant comes by my changing room invading my privacy and ask "what are you doing in there" then ask if I'm doing anything that implies I might be doing something else. Thanks for making my experience stress free. I left the room and another assistant was waiting behind the curtain any closer she could peek through. I tried to politely explain. She said she heard rustling threatened the police was outside and started making fun of me copying my hand gestures as she pointing to the door. Mortified I emptied my bag full of paid items with their receipt she look puzzled and looked over at her colleague like she was gutted she didn't find anything stolen. She asked "why are you here" I couldn't believe this girl rudeness and bad attitude. Instead of apologise she said "you always exchange you don't know your size" in a patronising tone of voice. No I replied. This scumbag clearly wanted to argue but I just was not prepared. I'm autistic and have other mental illnesses. I think she was using that as a excuse to frame me for stealing. She just paused stood staring at me until I said did nothing. No apology she let me leave as normal. So confused my head was exploding. I couldn't let the bully get away with treating me like that. Had to report this to someone but something stopped me from ringing the police. I walked down the street to different branch of that company and told them what had happened they was very polite and friendly and I got a apology from them instead. I cried all the way home. Will the assistant that harassed me be sacked now that I reported this incident to another branch. What should I do? Should I report this to the police? Should I leave a bad review? I need advice.

i wouldnt advise to go to the police as they wont take you seriously- u should report that assistant to the manager and maybe explain how u felt and how it affected u...
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
Don't bother the police with this, it's not a criminal matter.

Nothing will happen after reporting it to another branch in person as you haven't made a formal complaint or goven ebough detail. You could write to the branch manager or contact the company customer service, but you would need to provide an intelligible factual account and clearly identify the assistants you had interaction with.

Original post by pepsimaxcherry
Firstly, were you allowed to try things on? Because of coronavirus, many shops will not open the changing rooms and ask you not to try on items. Were you allowed to do that here or were the shop assistants trying to ask you to stop?

If you are in the right, then no, nothing will be done as you reported it to a completely different store. There was no formal complaint made, and the shop you spoke to has no evidence of the incident occurring because you’ve made it simply your word against hers.

If you want to go through the effort of “getting her fired” as you say, you’ll have to do a lot more. A formal complaint to the shop manager, contacting customer service etc. However, unless you have accurate recollection of the event and the shop assistants identity, not a lot will happen.

And don’t bother police with this. It’s not a criminal offence and just seems silly to try and involve them when they have more important things to look into

Original post by deadroseex
Write an email, to the manager of that specific branch! Honestly, you cannot do much! So sorry this happened to you x

Original post by Hannah6428
I would advise you avoid that store in future. You can go to police they will do something like get you in contact with someone. The way the assistant treated you is totally wrong on so many levels all I can put it down to is they haven't been trained. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Original post by Rosey20
i wouldnt advise to go to the police as they wont take you seriously- u should report that assistant to the manager and maybe explain how u felt and how it affected u...

I don't want to go back or complain to this store or it's manager as the staff are all so rude, unfriendly and unapproachable. I would like to talk to someone face to face about this not over phone or email as I will likely be ignored. What other options do I have? What will police do about this?
You can go to police they will do something like get you in contact with someone.

Can you elaborate on that please? what will the police do and who would they put you in touch with?

Kinda get the impression there's a part of this tale we're not getting anyway.
Reply 8
You've posted at least 2 other related threads...
Are you sure that you where actually allowed in the changing rooms? In most shops ATM your not.
(edited 3 years ago)
The police will do nothing about rude shop staff.
Maybe write to their head office if they are a chain? But they won’t do much to you bar say sorry for your experience (they won’t tell you about anything done to the staff member)
Original post by StriderHort
Can you elaborate on that please? what will the police do and who would they put you in touch with?

Kinda get the impression there's a part of this tale we're not getting anyway.

Maybe get her in contact with a solicitor or someone like that. Either way something must be done.
(edited 3 years ago)
I don't want to go back or complain to this store or it's manager as the staff are all so rude, unfriendly and unapproachable. I would like to talk to someone face to face about this not over phone or email as I will likely be ignored. What other options do I have? What will police do about this?

There’s nothing you can do except talk to customer services / head office over the phone. Again, were you allowed to try clothes on? You’re not supposed to during Covid times so was the shop assistant trying to ask you to stop?
Maybe get her in contact with a solicitor or someone like that. Either way something must be done.

Rude shop staff isn’t something to get a solicitor involved in. It would be a waste of time and resources. Formal complaints are dealt with by head office but OP refuses any form of contact unless it’s face to face, therefore not a lot can be done.
There’s nothing you can do except talk to customer services / head office over the phone. Again, were you allowed to try clothes on? You’re not supposed to during Covid times so was the shop assistant trying to ask you to stop?

No this was early this year before lockdown.
No this was early this year before lockdown.

Ok. Then your only options are a formal complaint to head office, go back to the store and speak to the manager or phone customer services. However, if it was this long ago, why are you bothering now? If it affected you as much as you claim, surely you would’ve reported it sooner?

Police...don't put you in touch with solicitors. They're online and in the phonebook like everyone else. Police will summon legal assistance for you as a legal obligation if you are arrested and request it (ie you can't physically call them yourself).... you can't just walk in and ask.

There is absolutely such a thing as wasting police time and this sounds a lot like it, if you don't know what the police do and don't do, maybe you shouldn't advise people to involve them in things.
Ok. Then your only options are a formal complaint to head office, go back to the store and speak to the manager or phone customer services. However, if it was this long ago, why are you bothering now? If it affected you as much as you claim, surely you would’ve reported it sooner?

I want to talk face to face about this incident it's too much of a long story it will most likely be ignored writing to head office. I will never go back to that store in a million years let alone talk to the manager. Could I walk into another branch with a written complaint and talk to the manager there?
I mean you can try. But the manager there would probably just take the letter and send you off.
Maybe speak to a counsellor about this? Work out why it affected you so much, months later?
Reply 18
I want to talk face to face about this incident it's too much of a long story it will most likely be ignored writing to head office. I will never go back to that store in a million years let alone talk to the manager. Could I walk into another branch with a written complaint and talk to the manager there?

And they will probably tell you that it's nothing to do with them.
I think you just need to drop this.
What do you want to get out of this?
Original post by StriderHort
Police...don't put you in touch with solicitors. They're online and in the phonebook like everyone else. Police will summon legal assistance for you as a legal obligation if you are arrested and request it (ie you can't physically call them yourself).... you can't just walk in and ask.

There is absolutely such a thing as wasting police time and this sounds a lot like it, if you don't know what the police do and don't do, maybe you shouldn't advise people to involve them in things.

Rude shop staff isn’t something to get a solicitor involved in. It would be a waste of time and resources. Formal complaints are dealt with by head office but OP refuses any form of contact unless it’s face to face, therefore not a lot can be done.

Well OP wants to talk to someone face to face and won't go to the store it happened in. Police seems the only choice.

Quick Reply

Latest