The Student Room Group

i am really depressed

Two weeks ago, my Mum was diagnosed with bowel cancer. She has been in hospital lately and I can’t see her due to COVID restrictions. I’m living with my Dad and brother who are rather quiet and whilst I love them, I don’t talk to them about my mental health and feelings as much as I do with my Mum. I’m also in my first year at Uni and obviously, haven’t made many friends yet. I skipped most lectures this week as I was too stressed and anxious with everything going on. I feel though this was a shot in the foot and missed an opportunity to meet more people.

I also met the most beautiful girl at Uni who I went on a date with last week. When I was with her, I wanted to be my best self and she gave off really comforting and positive vibes. She said she wanted to see me again and wants to see me next week but she still has yet to get back to me on a day she can do next week like she said she would. Now I’m thinking that she isn’t interested in me anymore so I’m feeling very lonely and depressed with everything going on. I feel this is my last resort to talk to someone
Original post by Anonymous
Two weeks ago, my Mum was diagnosed with bowel cancer. She has been in hospital lately and I can’t see her due to COVID restrictions. I’m living with my Dad and brother who are rather quiet and whilst I love them, I don’t talk to them about my mental health and feelings as much as I do with my Mum. I’m also in my first year at Uni and obviously, haven’t made many friends yet. I skipped most lectures this week as I was too stressed and anxious with everything going on. I feel though this was a shot in the foot and missed an opportunity to meet more people.

I also met the most beautiful girl at Uni who I went on a date with last week. When I was with her, I wanted to be my best self and she gave off really comforting and positive vibes. She said she wanted to see me again and wants to see me next week but she still has yet to get back to me on a day she can do next week like she said she would. Now I’m thinking that she isn’t interested in me anymore so I’m feeling very lonely and depressed with everything going on. I feel this is my last resort to talk to someone

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I hope your mum gets better soon! You're only in your first year, and it's only a few weeks into the year! I know people who made friends in their third year. So dw if you haven't made good friends yet! Join societies and talk to people who have the same interests as you, it would be easier to break the ice. And maybe wait a bit longer for the girl to reply, maybe she's busy with work and stuff. Try to keep on top of your work and you got this!
Reply 2
Original post by navybluemug
I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I hope your mum gets better soon! You're only in your first year, and it's only a few weeks into the year! I know people who made friends in their third year. So dw if you haven't made good friends yet! Join societies and talk to people who have the same interests as you, it would be easier to break the ice. And maybe wait a bit longer for the girl to reply, maybe she's busy with work and stuff. Try to keep on top of your work and you got this!

Thank you. Societies aren’t happening though due to COVID-19. I hope she’s just busy though and hasn’t forgotten about me. I would like to see her especially before we go into another possible lockdown...
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you. Societies aren’t happening though due to COVID-19. I hope she’s just busy though and hasn’t forgotten about me. I would like to see her especially before we go into another possible lockdown...

Maybe it's just my uni, but a lot of societies are having virtual meetings and stuff. I know it maybe hard now but join societies that would help you in the field that you want to work in eventually. It would look great on your CV! Distract yourself and try to stop thinking about her because your future is more important. Talk to your parents if you feel comfortable.

Quick Reply

Latest