The Student Room Group

Uni grading system

Im a first year undergrad. I have got 100% and 91% so far in two tests in a module. This means that my average for that module is around 94%. I know in the first year I would either pass or fail. How will I know what the pass mark is as I heard the pass mark for most unis is quite low (around 30%)?
It depends but is that the only test you will ever do for that module? How much is those two tests worth for in that module? And I don't know what the pass mark would be but I know it would be fairly low like you predict since the uni would want most of the students to pass and proceed to next year.
And well done in you tests!
A pass at most universities tend to be 40%. They are at mine.
Reply 3
At my old uni it was 40% - obviously it depends how much each test and module is balanced, but at the rate you're going I doubt you need to worry too much!
Original post by dj_ad_1
Im a first year undergrad. I have got 100% and 91% so far in two tests in a module. This means that my average for that module is around 94%. I know in the first year I would either pass or fail. How will I know what the pass mark is as I heard the pass mark for most unis is quite low (around 30%)?

It's usually a bit more complicated than that. Progressing onto each subsequent year typically requires some minimum, which you'd need to find out for your specific uni. I don't know of anywhere where 30% would be considered a pass, it's typically 40% and even that's pretty low all things considered.

Each assessment in your module will be weighted. If you've achieved 100% and 91%, and those 2 assessments are weighted equally, and they're the only 2 assessments then your overall mark for that module would be 95.5%. That'd be well above the 40% pass mark. However if the 100% assessment was only weighted at 10%, then it'd only be worth 10% of your final grade, or a quarter of the marks required to pass. There's not much point to work out your average unless you've sat all the modules, or all assessments are weighted equally.

You will need to identify what the requirements to progress are, then calculate any marks using the weighted modules. This will give you an idea of what you're actually achieving. However you also shouldn't be aiming to pass, really you should be aiming to get consistent grades around the final degree classification you're aiming for.
Original post by chatsmilady
It depends but is that the only test you will ever do for that module? How much is those two tests worth for in that module? And I don't know what the pass mark would be but I know it would be fairly low like you predict since the uni would want most of the students to pass and proceed to next year.
And well done in you tests!

There are 6 more tests to do in the module. Every 3 weeks we have a test so by Christmas we should have done 2 or 3 tests more. And thanks.
Original post by Beecar98
A pass at most universities tend to be 40%. They are at mine.

Ohh ok i thought it would depend on what most ppl got. So say the lowest someone got was 80% that would be the pass mark.
Original post by Interea
At my old uni it was 40% - obviously it depends how much each test and module is balanced, but at the rate you're going I doubt you need to worry too much!

Ohh i think the tests which i have done so far is only 22% of the module combined. I do have 6 more tests half of them would be done by Christmas as every 3 weeks we have a test but yeah thanks.
Original post by AcseI
It's usually a bit more complicated than that. Progressing onto each subsequent year typically requires some minimum, which you'd need to find out for your specific uni. I don't know of anywhere where 30% would be considered a pass, it's typically 40% and even that's pretty low all things considered.

Each assessment in your module will be weighted. If you've achieved 100% and 91%, and those 2 assessments are weighted equally, and they're the only 2 assessments then your overall mark for that module would be 95.5%. That'd be well above the 40% pass mark. However if the 100% assessment was only weighted at 10%, then it'd only be worth 10% of your final grade, or a quarter of the marks required to pass. There's not much point to work out your average unless you've sat all the modules, or all assessments are weighted equally.

You will need to identify what the requirements to progress are, then calculate any marks using the weighted modules. This will give you an idea of what you're actually achieving. However you also shouldn't be aiming to pass, really you should be aiming to get consistent grades around the final degree classification you're aiming for.

Yeah the test which I got 100% in was only worth 8% of the module and the test which I got 91% is worth 14%. There are also 6 more tests in which 5 tests are worth 14% of the module and 1 which is worth 8%. I want to know if I'm on track to pass as there's still a long way to go. Thanks for that info it really helps.
Original post by dj_ad_1
Yeah the test which I got 100% in was only worth 8% of the module and the test which I got 91% is worth 14%. There are also 6 more tests in which 5 tests are worth 14% of the module and 1 which is worth 8%. I want to know if I'm on track to pass as there's still a long way to go. Thanks for that info it really helps.

Assuming you continue getting these grades then yes, you'd be on track to pass with no problems. However I wouldn't use these tests as a general measure of your chance to pass everything, since achieveing 100% (and even higher than 80% in many cases) isn't typical for essay based assessments.

You can of course calculate when you pass though. You're currently at ~21% (the full 8% plus the 91% of 14 which is roughly 13%) so about half way there. Similar grades in any 2 more tests will net you a pass in this module. And extrapolate the process for any other modules. I'll be a bit obtuse though, IDK why you'd have any doubt about being on track to pass with near perfect grades so far. It's not like there's much you could do to improve if you weren't on track. The important thing will be not to get complacent though, there's a reason a First tops out at a mere 70%
Original post by dj_ad_1
There are 6 more tests to do in the module. Every 3 weeks we have a test so by Christmas we should have done 2 or 3 tests more. And thanks.

That's still a lot left. I would say even though at the end it's either a pass or a fail just try to aim 70% or above. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest