The Student Room Group

Nane me the best University course with best career prospects and very high salary.

I am doing Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Maths at A-Level.Name me the STEM degrees which usually leads to highest paying salary and which uni would you recommend for that course. (Don't name Medicine please,because it is too obvious).

You can assume that I will get A/A*s in all my A-Levels.

Scroll to see replies

Chemical Engineering
Fashion Design.
Reply 3
Original post by GotAQQuestion
Chemical Engineering

I have listed chemical engineering.One of my favourite,pay is good but not many places available as people are more concerned about environmental issues for which O&G industry is probably going to be mostly replaced in future by more environmentally friendly indistries.Options will be narrowed to pharmaceutical/food and drinks and water treatment industry.
Reply 4
Original post by LCHF OMAD
Fashion Design.

That's not a STEM,right?
Original post by AW AFR
I have listed chemical engineering.One of my favourite,pay is good but not many places available as people are more concerned about environmental issues for which O&G industry is probably going to be mostly replaced in future by more environmentally friendly indistries.Options will be narrowed to pharmaceutical/food and drinks and water treatment industry.

Hmmm true but if you went to Imperial for Chem Eng, it would make you stand out.
comp sci
Reply 7
Original post by DeadChairSwinger
comp sci

Is that even possible if I don't have CS and Further Maths as A-Level and zero experience in programming?
Original post by AW AFR
Is that even possible if I don't have CS and Further Maths as A-Level and zero experience in programming?

yes

you dont even need a degree for it lol
Original post by AW AFR
I am doing Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Maths at A-Level.Name me the STEM degrees which usually leads to highest paying salary and which uni would you recommend for that course. (Don't name Medicine please,because it is too obvious).

Not stem but economics is the best paid after med/dentistry
(edited 3 years ago)
You're deciding your course based on salary? Seems like a poor idea.
Couldn't have put it better myself @Theloniouss

I took one look at this thread title and thought

:getmecoat:
The “best” university course is the one that you want to do-not the one that will earn you a “very high salary”
Original post by AW AFR

This is no way to choose a degree - TSR sinks to a new low :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by Theloniouss
You're deciding your course based on salary? Seems like a poor idea.

I am restricting my options to STEM degrees only,so the degree must be STEM in the first place regardless of the salary.I am pretty good in all sciences and Maths and like all natural sciences and physical sciences equally so I would enjoy any stem degree anyways provided that it have good job prospects and salary afterwards.I am still seeking the best option among the STEM degrees.
Reply 15
Original post by Laurence00
Not stem but economics is the best paid after med/dentistry

Thanks for the recommendation,but as I said I am interested in stem only.
Original post by AW AFR
I am restricting my options to STEM degrees only,so the degree must be STEM in the first place regardless of the salary.I am pretty good in all sciences and Maths and like all natural sciences and physical sciences equally so I would enjoy any stem degree anyways provided that it have good job prospects and salary afterwards.I am still seeking the best option among the STEM degrees.

STEM probably accounts for about 1/3 of degrees, so it's hardly a restriction. Most of the remaining courses will lead to low average salaries anyway.

Are you applying for 2021 entry? It seems unlikely that you enjoy all sciences equally.
Stem degree at Oxbridge or Top London unis will probably see you get in the elite banks / consulting / oil and gas companies. Alot of them even try recruiting you directly at the uni. Starting salaries are 40-50k at the moment.
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
This is no way to choose a degree - TSR sinks to a new low :frown:

I just wanted to hear about other people's recommendation.The final decision will be based on my personal and informed research of course.
Original post by AW AFR
I just wanted to hear about other people's recommendation.The final decision will be based on my personal and informed research of course.

What other people think is totally irrelevant and don;t choose a career based on how much you 'might' earn ...

Your post is the saddest I have read ...what aspects of your A levels do you enjoy the most? Are you a problem solve, a designer or ....?

Quick Reply