The Student Room Group

All Female Colleges?

Why do they still exist when it makes the admissions process inherently unfair?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2

This is from an American perspective, which isn’t really relevant to Cambridge because the systems are different.
Original post by hajima
This is from an American perspective, which isn’t really relevant to Cambridge because the systems are different.

Yes I know it is but the educational systems are essentially the same but this is an actual explanation. Besides there are only two in the UK that still exist as Oxford lost its last one back in '08

https://www.wikigender.org/wiki/all-women-colleges/
I disagree with your central point that these colleges make the process inherently unfair. Cambridge has more males than females in each year despite there being some colleges that only admit women. I do not see how this makes it inherently unfair.

If you are going to call out unfairness / under representation I would target areas like ethnicity, class, state schools etc rather than saying males per se are being disadvantaged by all women colleges.
Original post by tbi_zlx
Yes I know it is but the educational systems are essentially the same but this is an actual explanation. Besides there are only two in the UK that still exist as Oxford lost its last one back in '08

https://www.wikigender.org/wiki/all-women-colleges/

The UK are US educational system are not similar imo.
Original post by hajima
Why do they still exist when it makes the admissions process inherently unfair?

Why does it make admissions unfair?
Original post by 1st superstar
The UK are US educational system are not similar imo.

I mean tbf it might be just my op since I studied at both places. As for uni yeah you might be right since there are minor and major subjects over there while here it is undergrad and post grad etc
Original post by tbi_zlx
I mean tbf it might be just my op since I studied at both places. As for uni yeah you might be right since there are minor and major subjects over there while here it is undergrad and post grad etc

Meh I was thinking more about in school (not university but yeah).
Meh I was thinking more about in school (not university but yeah).

Ohhhh then nah theyre more or less the same. Just different in terms of exams and stuff.
Original post by tbi_zlx
Ohhhh then nah theyre more or less the same. Just different in terms of exams and stuff.

Somewhat true.
Reply 11
Original post by Theloniouss
Why does it make admissions unfair?

There are an unequal number of places at the university for men and women, it’s harder to get into Cambridge as a man.
Reply 12
Original post by dking2001
I disagree with your central point that these colleges make the process inherently unfair. Cambridge has more males than females in each year despite there being some colleges that only admit women. I do not see how this makes it inherently unfair.

If you are going to call out unfairness / under representation I would target areas like ethnicity, class, state schools etc rather than saying males per se are being disadvantaged by all women colleges.

White working class men are the most underrepresented group in higher education. Just because there’s less women at Cambridge, that doesn’t mean the process isn’t unfair, it is easier to get into Cambridge as a woman due to the pooling system, how is that fair?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hajima
There are an unequal number of places at the university for men and women, it’s harder to get into Cambridge as a man.

Is it, though? Men seem to be doing fine when it comes to entry statistics.
Reply 14
Original post by Theloniouss
Is it, though? Men seem to be doing fine when it comes to entry statistics.

Because a lot more men apply than women, that doesn’t mean it isn’t easier for women to get in.
Somewhat true.

Aha I mean of my experience the only different thing was that we had kids who repeated the same grade
Reply 16
Original post by tbi_zlx
Aha I mean of my experience the only different thing was that we had kids who repeated the same grade

I meant that having a whole university that’s women-only is different to having a mixed institution with a certain number of places only for women. The former doesn’t exist in the U.K.
Original post by hajima
I meant that having a whole university that’s women-only is different to having a mixed institution with a certain number of places only for women. The former doesn’t exist in the U.K.

Ohhh you meant the university being entirely for women, that doesnt exist though in the UK or in the US. I know there are still three colleges. But... actually I think Im confused with the premise of this thread ngl aha sorry
Original post by tbi_zlx
Ohhh you meant the university being entirely for women, that doesnt exist though in the UK or in the US. I know there are still three colleges. But... actually I think Im confused with the premise of this thread ngl aha sorry

There are only 2 colleges now
Reply 19
Original post by tbi_zlx

A college in the US is a university in the U.K., there are all women universities in the US (called colleges) but that isn’t the case in the U.K.. What I’m talking about here is specifically Cambridge university which is split up into colleges, some of which only admit women.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending