The Student Room Group

age and relationships

hey everyone. how are you doing ? what do you think about age difference in relation ships ? should someone be older than the other or is it ok if that happens ? whats so good about being the same age ? you see accroding to chronological age calculator me and this girl have like 5 years age difference
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by aging_tree
hey everyone. how are you doing ? what do you think about age difference in relation ships ? should someone be older than the other or is it ok if that happens ? whats so good about being the same age ?

I'm a bit scared right now, cause it's Halloween night, but thanks for asking :wink: Anyway to answer your questions.

As long as both parties are over 18, they're both comfortable with their relationship dynamic, and no one's taking advantage of the other, it's all good IMHO.

I think people are (generally) more comfortable with same age relationships, as they're more likely to have things in common and at a similar stage of development (I know teenage girls generally mature a bit quicker than teenage boys, but that's a minor).

As above, people sometimes have a problem with very large age-gap relationships, as they wouldn't expect, say a teenage girl to have anything in common with a 30/40 something guy (natural social conversation for teenage girls may be who is fitter out of Justin Bieber or Drake (or whoever's hot these days)'; while a natural conversation for 30 something guys may be what's better out of BMW, Mercedes or Audi). Most people can be quite cynical and would assume that one is taking advantage of the other (e.g. sexual naivety, money etc.).

Just my 2ps worth :smile:
Hi there
Well the user above said it all.
People of the same age might have much more similar interests, be at the same stage in life and all the what not.
But there some people who might prefer to date a partner older than them.
Yes of course they should mutual consent, and legal age, no taking advantage of the other.
Most of the time, people who prefer older partner might feel way too mature to be with someone their age; as they might be looking for maturity in their partner too. Also, there is sometimes the well known daddy/mommy issue which might be an important factor.🙂
I am the type to date older women. I really look for an experienced partner in relationship (and of course in intimacy too🙈), stable emotionally (and financially would be great too), who is not afraid to take the lead. A women who will accept me and love me with my flaws, and will do the same for her. I am quite sensitive and emotional, so a strong women who will not belittle me for being like that, but help me embrace it and cope with it, would be ideal.😊
But I think @londonmyst would have much insightful points about that topic.
Age gaps are fine as long as there is nothing illegal going on, everything is consensual and both people are happy.
I dated guy in his 50s when I was 16 and dumped him when I had enough of the relationship.
I only date guys at least 15 years older than me and have a lot of dating deal-breakers.
Yeah Londonmyst xactly... we have to get in to these threads simply to counter the orthodoxy.... which is far from "wisdom" from my pov it's just prejudice.

This ridiculous assumption that we have nothing to talk about is frankly patronizing to both parties.

When I am with master I don't want to discuss Drake although he knows the art of DY and Luis well enuf anyway it's not like he doesn't have a finger on the pulse. I think it's a little arrogant to believe that younger ppl just talk about Drake or that older dudes just talk Audi. Master doesn't care about cars or brands other than they work when he needs to use them.

Our topics of convo include rifles, frequent flyer programs, elections, family obligations, best empanadas in CDMX... these topics r the same for both of us even tho' we r at different stages of life and have difft levels of knowledge.

Also, most ppl vastly underestimate the knowledge transfer and benefits that a mentor can deliver in daily life... for instance after we became more serious, master helped me with scholarship apps (he sits on such panels), driving lessons and car rentals (now I rent at will all over the world although I have to pay the young ppl surcharge :mad:), VPN networks so we can get onloine while in China, and a ton of other practical, useful and life-enhancing things. And I haven't even begun to describe the intensity and satisfaction of our sexual connection... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending