The Student Room Group

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Poll

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Today the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, announced a second nationwide lockdown, commencing on Thursday 5th of November. You can find out more about what this means here.

Under the new measures, the decision has been made for schools, colleges and universities to remain open.

Over the past few months on TSR we've seen students concerned about missing further teaching due to lockdowns, readiness for exams this year, and university students who've been locked down in their uni halls.

Do you think the government has made the correct decision to keep schools and universities open?

Mod Edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think schools & universities should be kept open, where safe and possible.
Nope
Yes schools need to stay open, imo we need to ignore the education unions who want them shut.
Nope, they should close. People are losing their jobs, their business, yet by keeping the schools open we are getting all the negative effects that I just mentioned, but the cases are not going to drop to a point where we can open up, as schools are the largest contributing factor as their own graphs have shown.

We are suffering in lockdown without the benefit of cases dropping enough. #CloseTheSchools
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Nope

Why?
I would have no problem with closing schools if schools were offering regular, daily, robust online lessons and support but many state schools are not. The government and the unions are to blame here, all their fault for not preparing properly and the for causing the 2020 exams fiasco.
You learn as much as you do online, than going to school. People here just procrastinate and cannot use their time wisely. I grinded so much Olympiad maths through extracurricular textbooks and such. I put in a 12 hours every day, because I wanted to better than everyone else, whilst I knew people wouldn't use their time wisely during quarantine. You may think this is BS, but I have become fluent in C++ during quarantine.

YOUTUBE WAS CREATED FOR A REASON, TO STUDY AHEAD!
I have one 3 hour in person lab at uni, once a week, everything else is online. I wish I could study 100% online and just go home. It's affecting my mental health
Reply 9
I agree with them being open (I'm a volunteer tutor and can see how much of an impact the last lockdown had on my students), but I wish they had the capacity to bring in some stricter guidelines and spread people out even more - I don't feel very safe at the school I tutor at and it's definitely creating its own group of cases...
Yes.
Original post by IntegrationLord
You learn as much as you do online, than going to school. People here just procrastinate and cannot use their time wisely. I grinded so much Olympiad maths through extracurricular textbooks and such. I put in a 12 hours every day, because I wanted to better than everyone else, whilst I knew people wouldn't use their time wisely during quarantine. You may think this is BS, but I have become fluent in C++ during quarantine.

Thing is, you might work better at home but not everyone does. Personally I can't concentrate at home at all. My parents are constantly wandering in whilst I'm in lessons and talking to me. I'm also easily tempted by my phone and games. At school I get the competitive drive to finish all the work before others and study hard during my frees. There's also less distractions at school and you're getting the fun social aspect which you wouldn't online.
Original post by fijitastic
Thing is, you might work better at home but not everyone does. Personally I can't concentrate at home at all. My parents are constantly wandering in whilst I'm in lessons and talking to me. I'm also easily tempted by my phone and games. At school I get the competitive drive to finish all the work before others and study hard during my frees. There's also less distractions at school and you're getting the fun social aspect which you wouldn't online.

I mean what I did paid off. I am currently in University at 16. Don't ask me how, it's weird. And I am not BSing. I just want people to know how much one can achieve without playing around with games and such.
I mean what I did paid off. I am currently in University at 16. Don't ask me how, it's weird. And I am not BSing. I just want people to know how much one can achieve without playing around with games and such.

That's amazing for you and I'm glad your hard work paid off. But I think working 12 hours a day would be a bit too excessive for me. I'd rather study a bit and enjoy myself with friends and family than dedicate my entire youth to studying.
I want them open because of my A levels but I have a fear they'll close
I understand how important education is, and how hard learning at home can be (I have been for the last month anyway because of vulnerable family members, and it sucks), however I don't see the point of taking these measures when schools stay open. Year bubbles have always confused me as a concept, and I feel as though it just won't work.
Original post by BlinkyBill
Today the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, announced a second nationwide lockdown, commencing on Thursday 5th of November. You can find out more about what this means here.

Under the new measures, the decision has been made for schools, colleges and universities to remain open.

Over the past few months on TSR we've seen students concerned about missing further teaching due to lockdowns, readiness for exams this year, and university students who've been locked down in their uni halls.

Do you think the government has made the correct decision to keep schools and universities open?

Mod Edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.

No...the cases only went up after school and unis opened back up....

That's great! Now, find a cure for cancer.
I mean it just doesn't make sense...lockdown but I still need to go colly?
make it make sense but to be honest im happy we still need to go school because oh boy I need to do work and ik in my bed nothing is getting touched😂😂but Boris needs to understand this is not a lockdownnn
Yes because it’s physically impossible for me to graduate and continue with my career if in-person sessions continue to be cancelled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending