The Student Room Group

Would questions of this difficulty come up on a Year 13 maths paper ?

I am really struggling with these 2 questions :

Screenshot 2020-10-31 at 20.31.18.png

Could these come up on an Edexcel year 13 pure Maths paper ?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by seals2001

Thanks.

Which ones?
Reply 2
Original post by tbi_zlx
Which ones?

I have added them now.
O

I have added them now.

Ohhh arent they from the textbook. I mean ngl yeah it could. Like all kinda ****ed up questions can ngl
Nah, they’re called a challenge for a reason
Reply 5
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Nah, they’re called a challenge for a reason

I hope so lol
I hope so lol

Still good practice though
Reply 7

Thanks.

Probably. The challenge questions are often closer to exam questions than the routine questions.
I think they are very unlikely to appear in an exam but I have seen questions of similar difficulty. Challenge questions are usually extension material or potential curveballs that an exam board may throw at you.
Reply 9

Thanks.

Yes questions of this difficulty could definitely come up in the new style A Level exams. Many students were surprised how hard the questions were when the exam was changed last year. If you are aiming for a top grade then you should try all of the challenge questions.
Reply 10

Thanks.

If you need help with these questions please post what you've tried so far.
Original post by Sir Cumference
Yes questions of this difficulty could definitely come up in the new style A Level exams. Many students were surprised how hard the questions were when the exam was changed last year. If you are aiming for a top grade then you should try all of the challenge questions.

Are any papers available yet? (I'm very out of the loop about how the A-levels are run but curious to see what the new style exams look like).

Also, if a candidate were to simply write down the (correct) answers to those questions, would they get full marks or would some level of working be expected? (I was just thinking how the first one in particular is an example of "stay calm and methodical and you can just write down the answer", although you'd probably want to at least simplify afterwards).
Reply 12
Original post by Sir Cumference

I have tried it, but I don't get what to do. Are you finding a double derivative ? Also if this came up then I bet the grade boundaries would be really low ?
I have tried it, but I don't get what to do. Are you finding a double derivative ? Also if this came up then I bet the grade boundaries would be really low ?

You need to apply the chain rule twice.
These questions are just a lot of repeated chain rule application, there are far more interesting things they could ask you (so likely questions of this difficulty, but using multiple different differentiation techniques rather than just one repeatedly so they can test more of your knowledge).

Just make sure you’re 100% confident on the basics, I promise you, you’ll still get top marks, you can focus on these type of questions when you’re super confident, don’t listen to those advices
There’s no logic in doing challenge questions yet
Reply 17
Original post by CaptainDuckie
There’s no logic in doing challenge questions yet

I mean there kind of is, if you can't do harder questions on the basics do you really understand the basics ?
I mean there kind of is, if you can't do harder questions on the basics do you really understand the basics ?

So you’re telling me doing challenge questions will increase your grades?
Without mastering the basic E/P questions?

You’re doing more harm than good, if you want to do the challenge questions then go for it. Don’t be surprised if there comes a situation in the exam where you have to adapt, and the questions you’ve been doing are no where near the same difficulty of a harder question

Quick Reply

Latest