The Student Room Group

After school timetable for yr 13

any tips of an after school timetable for year 13's and if you used a timetable in year 13 and got good results, if you dont mind linking it ty.
I personally don’t use a time table because it’s basically neglecting the areas you aren’t as confident on, I like using my initiative and revise subjects that I need to that day. Its called a “retrospective revision time table”
Original post by CaptainDuckie
I personally don’t use a time table because it’s basically neglecting the areas you aren’t as confident on, I like using my initiative and revise subjects that I need to that day. Its called a “retrospective revision time table”

ahh ok I see, that might actually work with me, so did not do all your subjects after school and only do the ones you need to revise?
Original post by PastelColours
ahh ok I see, that might actually work with me, so did not do all your subjects after school and only do the ones you need to revise?

Yeah I basically said to myself “right if exams were tomorrow, which subject/topic am I least confident on?” Then I would go from there

I got 3 A’s at AS levels
And all 11 grade 9’s at GCSE from doing this.
Remember, the aim of revision is to do the tasks with minimum effort but do it very efficiently, don’t just sit at your desk for like 9 hours straight, because the guy that has flashcards that will go through it once in 30mins will get better grades than you
Remember, the aim of revision is to do the tasks with minimum effort but do it very efficiently, don’t just sit at your desk for like 9 hours straight, because the guy that has flashcards that will go through it once in 30mins will get better grades than you

How did you make sure you were productive after schools? I feel so exhausted by the time I get home
And how did you make sure you weren’t neglecting one subject
Original post by Blue_skies124
How did you make sure you were productive after schools? I feel so exhausted by the time I get home
And how did you make sure you weren’t neglecting one subject

Ummm, I normally went to the library after school, bought food maybe like Doritos & apple juice, legendary combination then I’d put it in my bag, then I’d look forward to eating it rather than revision lol

Tbh you can just sense the areas you need more work on, I’d just spend like 1hr on that then repeat with other areas I need to work on
Original post by PastelColours
any tips of an after school timetable for year 13's and if you used a timetable in year 13 and got good results, if you dont mind linking it ty.

I dont make use of a timetable, I just use my initiative on what I need to do. For example, I know Mondays after school I should get any hwk done for tuesday as I have a full day of lessons on tuesday. Tuesday after school I tend to rest and do revision or go ahead of the class for a subject, same for wednesdays. Thursdays I tend to do hwk or just recap cuz I have maths on friday. That leaves me Friday evening and the weekend to do hwk, revision and go ahead on topics.
Ummm, I normally went to the library after school, bought food maybe like Doritos & apple juice, legendary combination then I’d put it in my bag, then I’d look forward to eating it rather than revision lol

Tbh you can just sense the areas you need more work on, I’d just spend like 1hr on that then repeat with other areas I need to work on

Plus I always get set so much work from school so I’m always focusing on what I’m learning in the present that the previous topics. And I like watching videos and explanations for what we’re learning as of now which is really time consuming and by then,I feel too tired to actually revise.
When would you start your work and by what time would you finish?
Plus I always get set so much work from school so I’m always focusing on what I’m learning in the present that the previous topics. And I like watching videos and explanations for what we’re learning as of now which is really time consuming and by then,I feel too tired to actually revise.
When would you start your work and by what time would you finish?

Yeah it’s hard to kind of like read ahead and focus on present works, true.
Ermm, before during AS I use to go to the library, from like 5 up until 7-8 ish,
This was totally on and off revision too, mainly just focusing on topics I knew that if I had the exam on it right now, I will be totally f’cked. If you want you can search up “retrospective revision time table” it’s by a medical school you tuber called Ali Abdaal, he shows you what it means and how to actually do that method :smile:
Yeah it’s hard to kind of like read ahead and focus on present works, true.
Ermm, before during AS I use to go to the library, from like 5 up until 7-8 ish,
This was totally on and off revision too, mainly just focusing on topics I knew that if I had the exam on it right now, I will be totally f’cked. If you want you can search up “retrospective revision time table” it’s by a medical school you tuber called Ali Abdaal, he shows you what it means and how to actually do that method :smile:

I think I’ve seen that, but I’ll check it out again
I get home at around 5ish and then relax at 6 and then get the work done set by school and that’s about it but I should be revising too but I literally have no energy. Then I exercise and then eat and sleep 😂
I think I’ve seen that, but I’ll check it out again
I get home at around 5ish and then relax at 6 and then get the work done set by school and that’s about it but I should be revising too but I literally have no energy. Then I exercise and then eat and sleep 😂

Gotta work for the grades bro
This is A levels we on about, not GCSE😂😂
I can’t cruise like I use to for GCSE, a levels will make you cryyy😂
Gotta work for the grades bro
This is A levels we on about, not GCSE😂😂
I can’t cruise like I use to for GCSE, a levels will make you cryyy😂

I get a lot done when I’m at school during my frees, but after schools are just filled with procrastination and thinking how tired I am but I really need to be more productive after school but I just don’t know how long i should work for or whether I’m doing enough
I get a lot done when I’m at school during my frees, but after schools are just filled with procrastination and thinking how tired I am but I really need to be more productive after school but I just don’t know how long i should work for or whether I’m doing enough

Work at a pace that is suitable for you, don’t run yourself down. Some people might need like 8 hours a day just do get a grade B, others might need 50 minutes to get a grade B. Everyone is different, you’re probably not doing enough if you feel like you aren’t
Work at a pace that is suitable for you, don’t run yourself down. Some people might need like 8 hours a day just do get a grade B, others might need 50 minutes to get a grade B. Everyone is different, you’re probably not doing enough if you feel like you aren’t

Agreed, I’m thinking of revising chemistry during my frees because for me, it requires less work to revise for and then during my lunch times get any work set by my teachers done and then after schools, carry on with any set work done and then go over previous content for my other two subjects but I’m not sure if that’s realistic.
Agreed, I’m thinking of revising chemistry during my frees because for me, it requires less work to revise for and then during my lunch times get any work set by my teachers done and then after schools, carry on with any set work done and then go over previous content for my other two subjects but I’m not sure if that’s realistic.

If you feel like it isn’t realistic, then it probably isn’t, just skip the going over previous content part, how exactly do you “go over previous content” ?
If you feel like it isn’t realistic, then it probably isn’t, just skip the going over previous content part, how exactly do you “go over previous content” ?

Mind maps for biology and then exam questions,mind maps/active recall and essay plans for philosophy and flash cards for chemistry and exam questions which all seems incredibly time consuming
Mind maps for biology and then exam questions,mind maps/active recall and essay plans for philosophy and flash cards for chemistry and exam questions which all seems incredibly time consuming

Hmmm, I think you’re spending too much time making them.. I’m guessing you use physical flashcards? Why not switch to digital ?
From your not getting home until five on, I’m guessing you’ve got a lot of travel? I’m in the same boat and so far two things have worked semi decently for me - working whilst travelling (four hours on a bus each day is a lot of time lmao) or working in the morning. I would have to get up at six to get to school in time, but if I get up at four or so then I have time to get breakfast and work, and I can usually just come home, do homework due for the next day (I don’t like doing homework in the morning for some reason idk why it just makes me uncomfortable) and then go straight to sleep when I get back at five/six depending on traffic.

So I basically I revise either on a bus I can work on (I didn’t in yr12 but this year they’ve instated coaches to follow all normal buses so school kids don’t mix with normal passengers, and I feel okay working on those) or if you can work in the morning BEFORE you’re tired, which is what’s working best for me right now. As for what I revise in that time, it’s mostly just whatever I feel weakest on+the topics that I know will need the most repetition e.g. vocab, dates, statistics. I don’t keep a set timetable, I just have a list of the repetition sets so even if I’m really tired and can’t focus enough to do proper revision, I can at least use the time to do learning by rote.

Also, I’m not being cheeky but have you considered investing in a coffee machine lol? Caffeine really is a life saver imo. Makes me want to wake up in the mornings and keeps me up during revision :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest