The Student Room Group

Another Lockdown thread

If Universities buckle and go all online will they have to release us from our accomadation contract?

I know at the moment they are still open but the teachers/lecturers are putting huge amounts of pressure on them to go all online.

The idea of being stuck all on my own for a month with not really seeing one is pretty bad. Although I imagine many others will deal with it a lot worse.

I just think from a mental health perspective something has to give.
Original post by adam271
If Universities buckle and go all online will they have to release us from our accomadation contract?

I know at the moment they are still open but the teachers/lecturers are putting huge amounts of pressure on them to go all online.

The idea of being stuck all on my own for a month with not really seeing one is pretty bad. Although I imagine many others will deal with it a lot worse.

I just think from a mental health perspective something has to give.

The trigger will be the government ordering unis to clear halls.
Private halls will be a lot more difficult to deal with.
Infection rates have started going down at unis.
The crunch point is moving and then moving back. They may make everyone take a test and phase the move out.
Original post by 999tigger
The crunch point is moving and then moving back. They may make everyone take a test and phase the move out.

do you think they will close schools? I've seen there is a lot of pressure on social media, which may very well translate into protests.

Arent unis exempt from the new lockdown?
Reply 4

Government are never going to do that. In fact students intending to come home for Christmas is a nightmare waiting to happen. Mass movement of people is not what we need in December. Words fail me actually.
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
Government are never going to do that. In fact students intending to come home for Christmas is a nightmare waiting to happen. Mass movement of people is not what we need in December. Words fail me actually.

I agree governments will never do it.
I think only pressure from teacher unions and strikes will be the only thing that will cause change.
Original post by Jdjdjdjdjd
do you think they will close schools? I've seen there is a lot of pressure on social media, which may very well translate into protests.

Nope they have specifically excluded schools and unis.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Arent unis exempt from the new lockdown?

Yes they are. I was being swayed by the OP. They will do all they can to keep them open/ what they regard as open.
There are various consequences with shutting unis down.
Its relatively fast moving though. At the moment unis have calmed. When I checked a few weeks ago all the top infection areas in the city I was in were located around the uni and known student areas.

I feel sorry for some of the studes in a way, but also dont blame the unis as they were acting on what they could at the time.
It appears the smart ones were those who took a gap till next year.

I feel sorry for EU studes who have no maintenance and rely on getting a job.
Original post by Scotney

Hello Scotney I could see your post drifting towards me. Is your child surviving ok? Have they worked out methods to deal with any mental strains?
Unis will need a plan if they are going to let this migration of people occur. I do think it was a contributor in the first place.
I could make suggestions, but its irrelevant. I do feel all sides need to get a grip and start taking it u;pon themselves to minimise interactions and opportunities for it to spread.

Not convinced masks have helped as now people think they are immune in supermarkets and shops.
Reply 9
Yes they are. I was being swayed by the OP. They will do all they can to keep them open/ what they regard as open.
There are various consequences with shutting unis down.
Its relatively fast moving though. At the moment unis have calmed. When I checked a few weeks ago all the top infection areas in the city I was in were located around the uni and known student areas.

I feel sorry for some of the studes in a way, but also dont blame the unis as they were acting on what they could at the time.
It appears the smart ones were those who took a gap till next year.

I feel sorry for EU studes who have no maintenance and rely on getting a job.

I think what bugs me a lot is the standard of teaching is dramatically different to in class teaching.
It's really rather poor and usually prone to technical issues.
Online seminars are even worse. One of my online seminars consisted of a 20 minute chat and being told to watch a 30 minute long youTube video.
How prevalent YouTube is in online teaching is honestly quite surprising.

I know University is more about self directed study but the teacher standard so far has been the lowest I have experienced by far in my education.
(edited 3 years ago)
Btw the one thing covid has shown me is how many idiots there are who are unable to understand or construct a simple argument. How the heck did the Briots manage to fend off Hitler? No chance if it was modern day.
Reply 11
Btw the one thing covid has shown me is how many idiots there are who are unable to understand or construct a simple argument. How the heck did the Briots manage to fend off Hitler? No chance if it was modern day.

There has always been idiots.
We are better educated than people from the early 20th century though.
Original post by adam271
There has always been idiots.
We are better educated than people from the early 20th century though.

Not to the extent they think they understand whats going on, anyway in answer to your question its possible but will need government intervention because there are many factors including £.
Hello Scotney I could see your post drifting towards me. Is your child surviving ok? Have they worked out methods to deal with any mental strains?
Unis will need a plan if they are going to let this migration of people occur. I do think it was a contributor in the first place.
I could make suggestions, but its irrelevant. I do feel all sides need to get a grip and start taking it u;pon themselves to minimise interactions and opportunities for it to spread.

Not convinced masks have helped as now people think they are immune in supermarkets and shops.

Daughter is surviving but now no longer going into Art Studios as there have been several new

Actually had this exact discussion with my son today. People just spout off their view based on nothing and will not even consider other opinion or evidence.
Daughter is surviving so far but no longer going into Art Studio as there have been a lot of new cases. I do not know how she will get on with lockdown with her household only as her closest friends are in another house. As a second year is disrupted I really do wonder what she is paying for as lectures and tutor meetings all on line.She opted to stay at uni at start of last lockdown and then got Covid so I will see what she decides to do. She is very much the free-spirited Art student so who knows.
Original post by Scotney
Daughter is surviving but now no longer going into Art Studios as there have been several new

Actually had this exact discussion with my son today. People just spout off their view based on nothing and will not even consider other opinion or evidence.
Daughter is surviving so far but no longer going into Art Studio as there have been a lot of new cases. I do not know how she will get on with lockdown with her household only as her closest friends are in another house. As a second year is disrupted I really do wonder what she is paying for as lectures and tutor meetings all on line.She opted to stay at uni at start of last lockdown and then got Covid so I will see what she decides to do. She is very much the free-spirited Art student so who knows.

She sounds as though she knows her own mind. A month or two is easy to get through if she develops a routine and keeps busy.
Hardest for those in hostile flats and with social anxiety.

The only way any contracts are being terminated is with governmental guidance i.e telling people to leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending