The Student Room Group

University Entry Requirements

Hi guys,
so basically, my predicted grades r BBC
i got ****ed because of the coronavirus thing, and theyre using that **** CAG system.
So yh i got predicted BBC
I wanna apply to uni in London like ucl or Queen Mary
My question is about UCAS tariff points, becuase im using different websites like Uniguide.. and more to help me find Unis
The entry requirements for UCL is AAA and Queen Mary is AAB
On uniguide and everything, my UCAS points is 160 which means i can do the apply to both UCL and Queen Mary but idk if i can make it through with the grades
Someone help please? so confused

Scroll to see replies

Idk about UCL

But I know that Queen Mary’s is quite lenient with their entry requirements also you may be eligible for a contextual offer? Maybe contact the uni to find out
Original post by NIRUBAN14
Hi guys,
i got ****ed because of the coronavirus thing, and theyre using that **** CAG system.
My question is about UCAS tariff points, becuase im using different websites like Uniguide.. and more to help me find Unis
On uniguide and everything, my UCAS points is 160 which means i can do the apply to both UCL and Queen Mary but idk if i can make it through with the grades

I'm going to be honest... it's quite unlikely that you will get into UCL with those grades as i think even there contextual offer is ABB. Queen Mary is more lenient though and so maybe you can try there, it may also help if you are eligible for a contextual offer or can explain why your grades are lower. May I ask why you want to apply to uni in London, there are loads of great uni's outside of London. Also are you sure your points are 160 because i thought 160 points was like A*AA
Reply 3
Original post by stephsmhb
I'm going to be honest... it's quite unlikely that you will get into UCL with those grades as i think even there contextual offer is ABB. Queen Mary is more lenient though and so maybe you can try there, it may also help if you are eligible for a contextual offer or can explain why your grades are lower. May I ask why you want to apply to uni in London, there are loads of great uni's outside of London. Also are you sure your points are 160 because i thought 160 points was like A*AA

its cause i did AS aswell, so i get extra points. Its easier for me to go to a uni in london, i would prefer to go to a uni in london tbh. My grades r lower cause my school is using the CAG system and the grades from our AS, but i didnt actually do the exam so...
Reply 4
Original post by besalibethali
Idk about UCL

But I know that Queen Mary’s is quite lenient with their entry requirements also you may be eligible for a contextual offer? Maybe contact the uni to find out

oh right cool, i just wanna know if they use UCAS tariff points because different websites say different things
its cause i did AS aswell, so i get extra points. Its easier for me to go to a uni in london, i would prefer to go to a uni in london tbh. My grades r lower cause my school is using the CAG system and the grades from our AS, but i didnt actually do the exam so...

As far as i'm aware most uni's don't really use AS's as part of their admissions. Sorry i don't have any more advice than that. Uni's in London are known for being competitive so although you may prefer to go to one in London you may just have to accept it and go outside of London.
Just contact the unis directly and ask how you would be considered. If their websites express offers as grades and not tariff points, then its likely they don't consider points.

You can't double count AS and A level tariff points. If you have 2 qualifications in the same subject then only one of them will attract tariff points. AS only attract tariff points if you took them in subject that you're not continuing to A level
no chance at UCL and maybe only a small chance at QMUL.
Original post by PQ
You can't double count AS and A level tariff points. If you have 2 qualifications in the same subject then only one of them will attract tariff points. AS only attract tariff points if you took them in subject that you're not continuing to A level

Btw, I thought university's weren't using AS's as part of their admissions policy anymore. So even though you get tariff points from them, does it really make a difference?
Original post by stephsmhb
Btw, I thought university's weren't using AS's as part of their admissions policy anymore. So even though you get tariff points from them, does it really make a difference?

Some universities will take them into account. Like with General Studies/4th A levels/EPQs they're more likely to make a difference if you miss your offer conditions but the additional tariff points mean that the university can accept you without damaging their league table ranking.
Original post by PQ
Some universities will take them into account. Like with General Studies/4th A levels/EPQs they're more likely to make a difference if you miss your offer conditions but the additional tariff points mean that the university can accept you without damaging their league table ranking.

ohh, thanks
Reply 12
Original post by PQ

nah im pretty sure you can use AS for extra points, cause the only reason my school do AS is cause it helps for University admission and gives us extra tariff points. tht is wht ive been told by my school, and there is a section for AS grades when calculating tarff points
nah im pretty sure you can use AS for extra points, cause the only reason my school do AS is cause it helps for University admission and gives us extra tariff points. tht is wht ive been told by my school, and there is a section for AS grades when calculating tarff points

I have over a decade of experience working in university admissions and applicant data. AS tariff points are only counted if you don’t take the subject at A level.

Your school has either misinformed you or you’ve misunderstood their explanation that ASs are helpful as they’re recommended by universities because they provide more confidence in predicted results.

PQ is correct, you can’t count the tariff points twice for an AS.

From the UCAS Tariff Point Calculator:

“Universities and colleges will not generally count the Tariff points for an AS level qualification if you have completed an A level in the same subject.”
Btw I think UCL and queen mary don't use tariff points anymore so they will use your predicted grades (BBC) not tariff points. Also I think your tariff points are 112 not 160.
Hi guys,

If i’m completely honest, I dont think you will get an offer on this universities. Even if you get above the points they want, its not enough. If they want AAA they would never accept BBC, less a prestigious universitiy such as UCL. So what matters is the grades not the points as people can do a lot of extra stuff and get a lot of points such as 200 and have like really bad grades like DDD. However, you might have a chance at Queen Mary, im not really sure. You can still try and apply if you decide to take this chances. Good luck!
Reply 17
Original post by J.swift
Btw I think UCL and queen mary don't use tariff points anymore so they will use your predicted grades (BBC) not tariff points. Also I think your tariff points are 112 not 160.

nah my points are 160 because i did AS which adds extra points, so............. But thx anyway imma try Queens
nah my points are 160 because i did AS which adds extra points, so............. But thx anyway imma try Queens

I would highly recommend contacting Queens about your quals before you apply.

And with that, I shall bow out of this thread.

Queen Mary states on their website that they don’t recognise AS.

I’d suggest looking at unis with entry requirements more similar to your actual a level predictions.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending