The Student Room Group

taking a term off

Hi, I'm an international student.
I chose to study fully online in my home country for this term and I'm absolutely regretting this.
It's hard to concentrate and I can't even find books and learning materials here.

So, I'm wondering if I can take a term/semester off. (I don't know if there's a term for this)

Plus, I don't know what I should tell the university. Nothing really happened to me. I'm physically+mentally fine. It's just I'm not sure I can try my best on academic achievements.

I heard taking a 'year' off is the only option. That's too much gap for me, I'm going to UK anyway in January.

SOMEONE HELP ME WHAT SHOULD I DO??
You can’t normally take one semester off. If you don’t finish your semester 1 modules, you won’t be ready for your semester 2 modules (and, at the end of your degree, you wouldn’t have completed enough modules to graduate).

If you’re in first year and your course also has a January intake, you might have the option to restart semester 1 in January. But they might not allow you to do this.
email your module leader and ask for advice. you will also have a tutor to email. In the handbook for each module there will be recommended textbooks and e books. most of these are available online or through the library online of the uni.
I'm an international student who came to the UK because my Uni said they would do mixed teaching, but I only got to go into Uni once and then teaching went fully online. I 100% regret coming here, I'm stuck in my accomodation, can't really make any friends because of covid and I'm paying for accomodation and stuff when I could've just stayed home and do remote learning. In other words I wish I were you I guess haha. That being said, my recommendation is that you finish this term online, it's not like you're losing anything anyway.. or does your Uni still have some on campus classes?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm an international student.
I chose to study fully online in my home country for this term and I'm absolutely regretting this.
It's hard to concentrate and I can't even find books and learning materials here.

So, I'm wondering if I can take a term/semester off. (I don't know if there's a term for this)

Plus, I don't know what I should tell the university. Nothing really happened to me. I'm physically+mentally fine. It's just I'm not sure I can try my best on academic achievements.

I heard taking a 'year' off is the only option. That's too much gap for me, I'm going to UK anyway in January.

SOMEONE HELP ME WHAT SHOULD I DO??

If you started in September, then you only have 2 months left until Semester 2 starts, so try to stick it out until then.

Given the current global situation, will you be able to come to the UK in January? If you can't, what will you do then?
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you started in September, then you only have 2 months left until Semester 2 starts, so try to stick it out until then.

Given the current global situation, will you be able to come to the UK in January? If you can't, what will you do then?

I am actually thinking of deferring.
But can I actually defer in the middle of the term?
Do I need something like doctor's note or at least a good explanation?

I did pay for the first term- will I get a refund and a new CAS?
Original post by Anonymous
I am actually thinking of deferring.
But can I actually defer in the middle of the term?
Do I need something like doctor's note or at least a good explanation?

I did pay for the first term- will I get a refund and a new CAS?

You would need to suspend your studies for a year and yes, you need to apply for it so it’s not a guarantee you would be granted it.

Your fee liability will depend on the university- they often will keep any over payments and use it as credit for your year when they come back.
you should look at your universities guidelines to see firstly what they require from you to suspend, and secondly what your fee liability would be.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending