The Student Room Group

I really don’t know what to do

Hey, basically I’m in year eleven and got mocks in two weeks. There’s just so much to revise, it’s stressing me out and making me really scared. There’s so much content, idk where to start. Also it doesn’t help that some of my teachers are just ugh, like they’re refusing to do revision classes after school because apparently “we need to be more independent”, but they don’t get that we’ve missed so much classroom environment during lockdown. Some teachers are amazing tho, so it’s alright. I’m just really really scared and every time I sit down to revise I get so stressed out that I’m on the frickin verge of tears, and then I procrastinate and it’s a whole cycle. We had parents evening this week virtually as well, and for all the sciences and maths the teachers have said I’m essentially not on track, and my grades are slipping. I’m at a 6/7 rn, but I’m supposed to be at a solid 7, with biology at a 8 (and I’m doing triple) I really don’t know what to do at all. If anyone has any advice for me I’d really appreciate it, thanks so much.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hey, basically I’m in year eleven and got mocks in two weeks. There’s just so much to revise, it’s stressing me out and making me really scared. There’s so much content, idk where to start. Also it doesn’t help that some of my teachers are just ugh, like they’re refusing to do revision classes after school because apparently “we need to be more independent”, but they don’t get that we’ve missed so much classroom environment during lockdown. Some teachers are amazing tho, so it’s alright. I’m just really really scared and every time I sit down to revise I get so stressed out that I’m on the frickin verge of tears, and then I procrastinate and it’s a whole cycle. We had parents evening this week virtually as well, and for all the sciences and maths the teachers have said I’m essentially not on track, and my grades are slipping. I’m at a 6/7 rn, but I’m supposed to be at a solid 7, with biology at a 8 (and I’m doing triple) I really don’t know what to do at all. If anyone has any advice for me I’d really appreciate it, thanks so much.

girl we're in the same boat( assuming this is a girl) except im expected to be getting 8's in every subject and 9 in maths and i'm not getting this, i literally have a gcse exam on monday because im retaking computer science but my advice would be to somehow find motivation, thats what i need , to find motivatio to revise more than i am at home. my parents evening is next week and i totally get that ur stressed so u kinda need to balance all the subjects so it doesnt feel like too much. 6/7 isnt bad but by what ur saying i feel like u could get higher right? maybe if u find revising alone too boring i actually need a virtual study partner im also in year 11:smile: but its fine if u dont want that anyway good luckkkk
Reply 2
Original post by reviser666
girl we're in the same boat( assuming this is a girl) except im expected to be getting 8's in every subject and 9 in maths and i'm not getting this, i literally have a gcse exam on monday because im retaking computer science but my advice would be to somehow find motivation, thats what i need , to find motivatio to revise more than i am at home. my parents evening is next week and i totally get that ur stressed so u kinda need to balance all the subjects so it doesnt feel like too much. 6/7 isnt bad but by what ur saying i feel like u could get higher right? maybe if u find revising alone too boring i actually need a virtual study partner im also in year 11:smile: but its fine if u dont want that anyway good luckkkk

yup, I’m a girl too lol :smile: wow good luck on your gcse and parents evening, I hope you do well x
abt the virtual study partner, wdym? Like as in we study at the same time and stay online? If you don’t mind, is it alright if I pm u from my actual account abt it? I feel like it’d help a lot.
Anyways good luck x

I am literally hear reading about people saying, oh my days young people's futures will be destroyed and such. No, it is because you cannot be bothered to study for yourself without the reliance of a teacher.
If I can finish A level Maths and Further Maths in 2 months during quarantine. Why can't you? Teachers are not as good as they seem to be, they seem as if they know more than you. I literally flexed on my teacher, asking if he could solve this International Maths Olympiad question through the means of knowing combinatorics, Chinese remainder theorem etc. He did not have a clue, and I often to show him the proper way of getting things done, since his technique is so inefficient. How did I get to this standard you may ask, that is because I could be bothered to learn through extracurricular textbooks, for example S.G Telang's Number theory The Art and Craft of Problem Solving by Paul Zeitz and many other.. You have to strive to become better than everyone else and look for resources to better yourself! Study ahead, don't always think this is good enough! Make in difference in life, humans can achieve anything.

It is just the fact that a typical student does not have enough motivation to actually do better. Why would you want to be worse than your teacher, when you can be better than him/her. The people who create new theorems, hypothesises and new technology always try and think outside the box and how they can be the very best. Nowadays, there is an abundance of resources, in the library and online!

NoNe Of ThIs "OH MY GAWD IM LOSING OUT ON MY EDUCATION BECAUSE IM NOT AT SCHOOL!"

Learning is a lifelong journey, not just after school/college.

And dude, put in a solid 8 hours right now after reading this and STUDY AHEAD.. Don't give up, GCSEs are not meant to be hard if you prepare wisely i.e STUDY NOW and get all 9s. Think about it this way, you are in the UK, one of the easiest education systems (basically achieve anything in life) and not in Asia, whereby there is really stiff competition where your typical student studies 14 hours every day - literally.
(edited 3 years ago)
I know you're dealing with a totally different situation to myself (finished my GCSEs in 2015)

I did my mocks and achieved around C/D in nearly all my subjects.
I came out with A* and A's (apart from one B in Maths) from mostly independent study using textbooks. I always struggled to keep up in classes so did extra work at home.
Do not panic, if you work away at your subjects, little by little every week you will be fully prepared for your exams. 😊
do gcses matter when applying to uni and jobs as long as you have the minimum gcse requirements and good a level grades/ the minimium required a level grades (for uni).
yup, I’m a girl too lol :smile: wow good luck on your gcse and parents evening, I hope you do well x
abt the virtual study partner, wdym? Like as in we study at the same time and stay online? If you don’t mind, is it alright if I pm u from my actual account abt it? I feel like it’d help a lot.
Anyways good luck x

sure pm me from which account? im pretty new to this website but i'll try figure it out if thats what i want and thanks for the goodluck
Reply 7
Original post by IntegrationLord
I am literally hear reading about people saying, oh my days young people's futures will be destroyed and such. No, it is because you cannot be bothered to study for yourself without the reliance of a teacher.
If I can finish A level Maths and Further Maths in 2 months during quarantine. Why can't you? Teachers are not as good as they seem to be, they seem as if they know more than you. I literally flexed on my teacher, asking if he could solve this International Maths Olympiad question through the means of knowing combinatorics, Chinese remainder theorem etc. He did not have a clue, and I often to show him the proper way of getting things done, since his technique is so inefficient. How did I get to this standard you may ask, that is because I could be bothered to learn through extracurricular textbooks, for example S.G Telang's Number theory The Art and Craft of Problem Solving by Paul Zeitz and many other.. You have to strive to become better than everyone else and look for resources to better yourself! Study ahead, don't always think this is good enough! Make in difference in life, humans can achieve anything.

It is just the fact that a typical student does not have enough motivation to actually do better. Why would you want to be worse than your teacher, when you can be better than him/her. The people who create new theorems, hypothesises and new technology always try and think outside the box and how they can be the very best. Nowadays, there is an abundance of resources, in the library and online!

NoNe Of ThIs "OH MY GAWD IM LOSING OUT ON MY EDUCATION BECAUSE IM NOT AT SCHOOL!"

And dude, put in a solid 8 hours right now after reading this and STUDY AHEAD.. Don't give up, GCSEs are not meant to be hard if you prepare wisely i.e STUDY NOW and get all 9s. Think about it this way, you are in the UK, one of the easiest education systems (basically achieve anything in life) and not in Asia, whereby there is really stiff competition where your typical student studies 14 hours every day - literally.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by loose_change
I know you're dealing with a totally different situation to myself (finished my GCSEs in 2015)

I did my mocks and achieved around C/D in nearly all my subjects.
I came out with A* and A's (apart from one B in Maths) from mostly independent study using textbooks. I always struggled to keep up in classes so did extra work at home.
Do not panic, if you work away at your subjects, little by little every week you will be fully prepared for your exams. 😊

Thanks so much, I’ll definitely try to do more weekly! Thanks!
Reply 9
sure pm me from which account? im pretty new to this website but i'll try figure it out if thats what i want and thanks for the goodluck

Okay, I’ll pm u tmr if that’s okay? If I do, it’ll just show a notification on the mail icon on your account (if you’re using your phone). I’m not sure about on a laptop tho, sorry
Hi! I’m in y13 now studying all three sciences and maths, and i did triple science at gcse too. I would say if you get the time try and do some practise papers or questions on topics you feel you’re struggling on. After doing them see what questions/topics you struggle with and make notes on them, and then try them again. It can be time consuming but I would say it’s the best way to revise!
Good luck with your mocks, and try your best not to panic too much :smile:
Okay, I’ll pm u tmr if that’s okay? If I do, it’ll just show a notification on the mail icon on your account (if you’re using your phone). I’m not sure about on a laptop tho, sorry

oh okay im using a laptop but i think it will work, also have u ever taken computer science?
Reply 12

This is an incredibly ignorant thing to say - you have no idea what situation others are in and how that affects their ability to study. It takes a great amount of privilege and arrogance to come out with something like this, saying that teachers are below you and students should know better than them? If that were the case then surely there would be no need for an education system, if everyone can learn everything for themselves, right? Some people thrive in home environments, others completely crash. Both are valid. Difficult living situations and poor mental health are not only common situations to be in but they also make learning from home so much harder, and i think as frustrating it is for the rest of us to listen to ignorant people like you label this as laziness because you don't understand, you should count yourself lucky that you don't.
Reply 13

Agreed with the UK being the easiest education system part, I've experienced it myself. Btw could you please give me tips on how to do A-level maths myself? Also about further maths please, thanks. They marked me really low and I'm planning to redo it in midst of uni studies so please do let me know how u did both maths and further maths within 2 months like studying hours, books used and other helps you used and your studying techniques and habits please, thanks. I'd really appreciate it.

This might not be practical advice, but this might be something you need to hear.

It will be okay. You won't believe it now, but it'll all be okay. The tears, the procrastination, the stress- you are not alone. Throughout year 11 I fell apart; I worked myself until I burned out multiple times. At the time it felt like I was procrastinating hours away every night, and I cried from stress almost every day after mocks until April (which is comparatively late) when only then I really began intensive exam revision. Even during the official GCSE exam period, I broke down before and after almost every exam because I thought that I'd failed to reach my target grades.

Only after the exams, when I was sorting through all my year 10-11 books and folders, did I realize how much work I'd really done- the hundreds of hours of homework, notes, practice papers. It actually broke my heart because I knew that, despite everything I sacrificed, when I opened my results it would've all been for nothing.

I opened my results in August to realise that I'd actually achieved 9s in all 9 of my subjects.

Don't judge yourself so harshly, and certainly don't listen to those who would judge you without truly understanding your unique situation- keep going.
Original post by RoseVet
Hi! I’m in y13 now studying all three sciences and maths, and i did triple science at gcse too. I would say if you get the time try and do some practise papers or questions on topics you feel you’re struggling on. After doing them see what questions/topics you struggle with and make notes on them, and then try them again. It can be time consuming but I would say it’s the best way to revise!
Good luck with your mocks, and try your best not to panic too much :smile:

Hi thank you so much for your help!! I’ll definitely try to do more past papers x
Hi thank you so much for your help!! I’ll definitely try to do more past papers x

That’s ok!! If you need any help or advice feel free to message me :smile: x
oh okay im using a laptop but i think it will work, also have u ever taken computer science?

This might not be practical advice, but this might be something you need to hear.

It will be okay. You won't believe it now, but it'll all be okay. The tears, the procrastination, the stress- you are not alone. Throughout year 11 I fell apart; I worked myself until I burned out multiple times. At the time it felt like I was procrastinating hours away every night, and I cried from stress almost every day after mocks until April (which is comparatively late) when only then I really began intensive exam revision. Even during the official GCSE exam period, I broke down before and after almost every exam because I thought that I'd failed to reach my target grades.

Only after the exams, when I was sorting through all my year 10-11 books and folders, did I realize how much work I'd really done- the hundreds of hours of homework, notes, practice papers. It actually broke my heart because I knew that, despite everything I sacrificed, when I opened my results it would've all been for nothing.

I opened my results in August to realise that I'd actually achieved 9s in all 9 of my subjects.

Don't judge yourself so harshly, and certainly don't listen to those who would judge you without truly understanding your unique situation- keep going.

Thanks you so much, and well done!! Those grades are amazing, congratulations!!
And thank you for your advice - it actually really helped, with both my motivation and being less stressed - so thank you!
Thanks you so much, and well done!! Those grades are amazing, congratulations!!
And thank you for your advice - it actually really helped, with both my motivation and being less stressed - so thank you!

Ah nope, I’m sorry - CS is one of the subjects that I don’t do
Original post by RoseVet
That’s ok!! If you need any help or advice feel free to message me :smile: x

Thank you, I will! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending