The Student Room Group

UKMT Senior Maths Challenge 2020

Hello ,

I'm in Year 12 and tbh I'm a bit confused as to where I should start my preparation for the UKMT challenge - which is in less than two weeks. I was told only yesterday that everyone in my year doing maths for A-lvl will sit it. I really wish to get bronze (or even silver!), so I hope that anyone could give me some tips and advice on how to go about it.

Thanks for reading and hope you have a good day :smile:
Forgot to mention that I don't do further maths
Reply 2
Original post by dazed&confused61
Hello ,

I'm in Year 12 and tbh I'm a bit confused as to where I should start my preparation for the UKMT challenge - which is in less than two weeks. I was told only yesterday that everyone in my year doing maths for A-lvl will sit it. I really wish to get bronze (or even silver!), so I hope that anyone could give me some tips and advice on how to go about it.

Thanks for reading and hope you have a good day :smile:

Do a few of the papers, you can download the last few from
http://ukmt.org.uk
It's really problem solving using gcse+ knowledge. No further maths (or much a level) is necessary.

It would be better to post in f38 - maths forum.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Do a few of the papers, you can download the last few from ukmt.org.uk
It's really problem solving using gcse+ knowledge. No further maths (or much a level) is necessary.

Oh, thank you so much :smile:

Which year's paper would you say is the hardest (if you don't mind me asking)?
Reply 4
Original post by dazed&confused61
Oh, thank you so much :smile:

Which year's paper would you say is the hardest (if you don't mind me asking)?

Just do the available papers. In the last few years, they had similar thresholds.
The hardest one is the one you do worst on.
Hi. I’ve seen that the challenge will take place over several days this year. Is anyone doing it today?

I think this space would be good for us to share answers and ideas for questions after we have completed the test

Good luck with the challenge
Reply 6
Original post by Superqueen123xxx
Hi. I’ve seen that the challenge will take place over several days this year. Is anyone doing it today?

I think this space would be good for us to share answers and ideas for questions after we have completed the test

Good luck with the challenge

You mean after the challenge is finished on the 6th? The paper / answers will probably be available then anyways.
"Sharing" before then only means the boundaries will be higher.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
You mean after the challenge is finished on the 6th?
"Sharing" before then only means the boundaries will be higher.

Yes of course. Definitely don’t want that! although many people do cheat on this challenge
Reply 8
Original post by Superqueen123xxx
Yes of course. Definitely don’t want that! although many pieople do cheat on this challenge

It's a shame if that's true.
Original post by mqb2766
It's a shame if that's true.

I know. People should just do it to try their best but there’s always people who cheat the system. Good luck if you are doing it this week
How was it guys?

Latest

Trending

Trending