The Student Room Group

Anyone got any tips for 'Othello'?

I don't know why but I'm having such difficulty with 'Othello', and I can't seem to engage with it at all. I genuinely feel so stressed and lost right now, because I have an assessment on it on Thursday as well as a psychology test, and I just don't know what I'm doing. I've made myself a plot summary but I still don't feel as though I remember what happens too well, and I've not yet done any essays on it at all.

I'm the only person in my class so it's not like I can really discuss it with too many people to gain some insight. I may be overreacting but I just don't feel like I know it at all, and I'm concerned that this could count to my final grade if exams end up being cancelled. I've been learning from home for so long now and I don't feel as though I'm retaining any information this way.

Sorry to vent a bit. To get to the point, are there any tips you have for 'Othello'? Any key quotations or moments? Interesting points? Revision websites? YouTube videos? Good critics? Literally anything that may help me to connect with the play?

Thank you so much for reading. I'm happy to help anyone out with anything that I can, but this is one thing I just feel totally lost in.
Hey, I did Othello for A-level and may be able to help!
The first thing I would recommend is the York notes textbook, this goes to the Amazon link but you can usually get a better deal if you shop around.
Next, have a look at Globe Player. It's a streaming service for Shakespeare's Globe Theatre and includes the full production of Othello to purchase. Unless you can get a copy from your teacher, this is the way to go (once you buy it, it is yours to keep).
Finally, if you have the Arden edition of the text definitely read some parts of that, it can provide some really good critical perspectives.
I haven't covered the text in a while so don't really want to explore specific points but I hope this helps!
Actually read the play page by page do it along side the sparks note version where it is translated into modern English so things make sense. Underline any bits you think are important. It is important to read the play so you know exactly what happens when and how the play progresses. It took me 4 days to read it (it isn't too long).
Original post by barror1
Hey, I did Othello for A-level and may be able to help!
The first thing I would recommend is the York notes textbook, this goes to the Amazon link but you can usually get a better deal if you shop around.
Next, have a look at Globe Player. It's a streaming service for Shakespeare's Globe Theatre and includes the full production of Othello to purchase. Unless you can get a copy from your teacher, this is the way to go (once you buy it, it is yours to keep).
Finally, if you have the Arden edition of the text definitely read some parts of that, it can provide some really good critical perspectives.
I haven't covered the text in a while so don't really want to explore specific points but I hope this helps!

That’s honestly such a great start, thank you so much!
Original post by Anonymous1502
Actually read the play page by page do it along side the sparks note version where it is translated into modern English so things make sense. Underline any bits you think are important. It is important to read the play so you know exactly what happens when and how to play progresses.

I’ve read it twice now, once independently and once with my teacher, but I just can’t engage with it haha! Looking at the modern English is a good idea I think. Thank you :smile:
Original post by ashtolga23
I’ve read it twice now, once independently and once with my teacher, but I just can’t engage with it haha! Looking at the modern English is a good idea I think. Thank you :smile:

Look at movies and plays and take note of stage craft differences.make brief notes on each act and scene so you know what happens where.
That’s honestly such a great start, thank you so much!

No prob! I've seen that a plain English version has been recommended as well, I think the book series with Modern English on one side and Shakespearian English on the other is called 'No Fear Shakespeare' :smile:
Original post by Anonymous1502
Look at movies and plays and take note of stage craft differences.make brief notes on each act and scene so you know what happens where.

Sounds like a painful but necessary process haha. Thank you so much!
Original post by barror1
No prob! I've seen that a plain English version has been recommended as well, I think the book series with Modern English on one side and Shakespearian English on the other is called 'No Fear Shakespeare' :smile:

Ahh yeah I’m familiar with the name actually. That’s probably a good idea! :smile:
Sounds like a painful but necessary process haha. Thank you so much!

No problem, happy to help.
I used to read critical articles, especially about Iago! It's more interesting if you understand interesting theories!
Original post by redmeercat
I used to read critical articles, especially about Iago! It's more interesting if you understand interesting theories!

That’s actually a really good suggestion. I think the discussion that can stem from things like Shakespeare is so much more interesting than reading it haha, so that makes sense!
I don't know why but I'm having such difficulty with 'Othello', and I can't seem to engage with it at all. I genuinely feel so stressed and lost right now, because I have an assessment on it on Thursday as well as a psychology test, and I just don't know what I'm doing. I've made myself a plot summary but I still don't feel as though I remember what happens too well, and I've not yet done any essays on it at all.

I'm the only person in my class so it's not like I can really discuss it with too many people to gain some insight. I may be overreacting but I just don't feel like I know it at all, and I'm concerned that this could count to my final grade if exams end up being cancelled. I've been learning from home for so long now and I don't feel as though I'm retaining any information this way.

Sorry to vent a bit. To get to the point, are there any tips you have for 'Othello'? Any key quotations or moments? Interesting points? Revision websites? YouTube videos? Good critics? Literally anything that may help me to connect with the play?

Thank you so much for reading. I'm happy to help anyone out with anything that I can, but this is one thing I just feel totally lost in.

Hi, I was actually planning to delete a lot of my typed up notes/essays for Othello since I've already done a-level eng, but came across this. I don't know whether you'll find them useful or not, but I've attached a few essays and files of the work I've done, which might be able to help you or anyone who comes across this. Good luck with Othello!
Original post by crazzzzy
Hi, I was actually planning to delete a lot of my typed up notes/essays for Othello since I've already done a-level eng, but came across this. I don't know whether you'll find them useful or not, but I've attached a few essays and files of the work I've done, which might be able to help you or anyone who comes across this. Good luck with Othello!

Oh my goodness, this is so kind of you! If I can ever help you out with anything please let me know because this is honestly so generous. Thank you so, so much!
Oh my goodness, this is so kind of you! If I can ever help you out with anything please let me know because this is honestly so generous. Thank you so, so much!

No problem! And thank you for your kind offer too, but helping you out is enough for me :smile: I know how tough English can be at times, but I'm sure you'll pull through. Wishing you all the best!!
Original post by crazzzzy
No problem! And thank you for your kind offer too, but helping you out is enough for me :smile: I know how tough English can be at times, but I'm sure you'll pull through. Wishing you all the best!!

Aw you’re so lovely! Thank you ❤️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending