The Student Room Group

Dropping a GCSE

I am currently in Yr 11 doing my GCSE’s I’m aiming for grades 6-8 for my subjects but there is one gcse that I am doing horrible at. With the pandemic and the massive lockdown we had I couldn’t really focus on art and instead I just worked on my other subjects. Now my predicted grade for art is a 4 since I last checked (maybe a 3 now) and at the rate I am going I will fail the subject. I spend hours upon hours doing the work the teacher sets and yet it doesn’t mean even amount to a pass. I am afraid that the hours I spend doing the work will affect my other subjects and in the end I will have more than just a bad grade for art. I want to know if it is possible to drop art. It’s going to mess up my GPA and ruin my chances for other subjects too. If I drop art I will have 8 remaining GCSEs (if I get triple science then this will become 9 I think). Will sixth forms still accept me? And if I do still have art will it mess up my chances?
Thank you for any replies.
I dropped French in year 10, got 8 full gcses and still go to sixth form. It may be too late to drop art but it's worth asking.
Reply 2
Original post by BrexitCafu
I dropped French in year 10, got 8 full gcses and still go to sixth form. It may be too late to drop art but it's worth asking.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll try asking I guess
Reply 3
It's possible to drop Art but you'd need to talk to the school.

Don't worry, 8 GCSEs will be sufficient.
Original post by Okayn
I am currently in Yr 11 doing my GCSE’s I’m aiming for grades 6-8 for my subjects but there is one gcse that I am doing horrible at. With the pandemic and the massive lockdown we had I couldn’t really focus on art and instead I just worked on my other subjects. Now my predicted grade for art is a 4 since I last checked (maybe a 3 now) and at the rate I am going I will fail the subject. I spend hours upon hours doing the work the teacher sets and yet it doesn’t mean even amount to a pass. I am afraid that the hours I spend doing the work will affect my other subjects and in the end I will have more than just a bad grade for art. I want to know if it is possible to drop art. It’s going to mess up my GPA and ruin my chances for other subjects too. If I drop art I will have 8 remaining GCSEs (if I get triple science then this will become 9 I think). Will sixth forms still accept me? And if I do still have art will it mess up my chances?
Thank you for any replies.

8-9 GCSEs is completely adequate. Talk to someone in your school higher up, or talk to a teacher you like to pass the message on if you dont know where to go, and double check you dont need an art gcse for any of your a level options (but this isnt likely so you should be fine). Keep pushing on your other subjects and good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by username3842778
8-9 GCSEs is completely adequate. Talk to someone in your school higher up, or talk to a teacher you like to pass the message on if you dont know where to go, and double check you dont need an art gcse for any of your a level options (but this isnt likely so you should be fine). Keep pushing on your other subjects and good luck!

Thank you for the reply I’ll try my best.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
It's possible to drop Art but you'd need to talk to the school.

Don't worry, 8 GCSEs will be sufficient.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest