The Student Room Group

Can I get into uni without a 4 in maths ?

hi, I really want to apply for university in the next upcoming months and I am desperate to get in ! My first choice uni will be Bournemouth but I don’t have a grade 4 in maths ! It’s my resit tomorrow but I have a really bad feeling i’m not gonna get a 4!! Is it possible for me to still get on the course, ( require minimum grade 4), and get my maths gcse in the first year of uni or something like that ?! Maths is not my strong point and numbers can confuse me from time to time but I’m really worried I will not achieve a 4!
thank you!

Scroll to see replies

If a university says minimum grade 4, there's probably a reason for that and if you don't have it it will most probably be a problem. My advice would be just to do your best in the exam and then cross the bridge of not getting the grade you need if you come to it- you might do great and have nothing to worry about!
Contact the university directly, you can still apply many universities accept people who don't get its entry requirements. If your a levels meet the requirements it could be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by musicalrose
If a university says minimum grade 4, there's probably a reason for that and if you don't have it it will most probably be a problem. My advice would be just to do your best in the exam and then cross the bridge of not getting the grade you need if you come to it- you might do great and have nothing to worry about!

eek okay thank you :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous1502
Contact the university directly, you can still apply many universities accept people who don't get its entry requirements. If your a levels meet the requirements it could be fine.

i’m on a btec but expected to achieve their ucas points requirements with a high grade- it is literally just maths :frown:
Original post by _Rose_
i’m on a btec but expected to achieve their ucas points requirements with a high grade- it is literally just maths :frown:

Btecs are fine sorry I assumed you were doing a levels. You should apply and see what happens I had uni offers even if I didn't meet entry requirements. I assure you that your gcses won't stop you from going to uni. Your more recent exams (btecs) should be considered as more important.
Original post by _Rose_
hi, I really want to apply for university in the next upcoming months and I am desperate to get in ! My first choice uni will be Bournemouth but I don’t have a grade 4 in maths ! It’s my resit tomorrow but I have a really bad feeling i’m not gonna get a 4!! Is it possible for me to still get on the course, ( require minimum grade 4), and get my maths gcse in the first year of uni or something like that ?! Maths is not my strong point and numbers can confuse me from time to time but I’m really worried I will not achieve a 4!
thank you!

You should be revising to pass the exam and not on TSR.
Stop psyching yourself out.
Focus and pay attention to detail so you dont lose needless marks.

If the course says you need a 4, then imo its unlikely they will let you in unless ofc you have a 5,6,7.
Reply 7
[
Original post by 999tigger
You should be revising to pass the exam and not on TSR.
Stop psyching yourself out.
Focus and pay attention to detail so you dont lose needless marks.

If the course says you need a 4, then imo its unlikely they will let you in unless ofc you have a 5,6,7.

I am revising, i’ve been revising all day for the past week! i’m just taking a 20 minutes break and thought someone might be able to tell me if it’s possible or not. If I do get a 4, hopefully they will let me in as that is the minimum required grade I need for them to consider me!
Start revising.
I had uni offers even if I didn't meet entry requirements.

are you sure?
Original post by CaptainDuckie
are you sure?

Yes I got offers from Manchester, Bristol and Bath for biology.
Yes I got offers from Manchester, Bristol and Bath for biological.

What were the grades requirements & what did you achieve?
Original post by _Rose_
[
I am revising, i’ve been revising all day for the past week! i’m just taking a 20 minutes break and thought someone might be able to tell me if it’s possible or not. If I do get a 4, hopefully they will let me in as that is the minimum required grade I need for them to consider me!

Ask after the exam, too distracting at the moment.

Whens the entry for and what course?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by _Rose_
[

Universities dont usually ignore GCSE Maths requirements. If you dont meet them it is normally a straight rejection.

However you can resit in August and show it as pending. The university would probably make you an offer dependant on you passing your GCSE in August.

I remember years ago there was a girl on here who got offers for History from several universities. What course do you intend taking, what subject is your BTEC in and what grades are your hoping to achieve.
Reply 14
Ask after the exam, too distracting at the moment.

Whens the entry for and what course?

I want to apply this month for 2021 start & Marketing Communication with Public Relations
Reply 15
Original post by swanseajack1
Universities dont usually ignore GCSE Maths requirements. If you dont meet them it is normally a straight rejection.

However you can resit in August and show it as pending. The university would probably make you an offer dependant on you passing your GCSE in August.

I remember years ago there was a girl on here who got offers for History from several universities. What course do you intend taking, what subject is your BTEC in and what grades are your hoping to achieve.

I’m on a business Btec and the highest grade I can get is 112 Ucas points and the Ucas points required for the uni course is 104-112 and my predicted grad is D*D but hopefully I can get a D*D*
I believe in you. stop worrying about that now and revise and get sleep
Original post by _Rose_
I want to apply this month for 2021 start & Marketing Communication with Public Relations

So its not the end of the world and you can retake next summer.
You can also do functional skills which a reasonable number of unis accept. You can also sit those exams more often.
Original post by _Rose_
thank you!

If you don't get a 4 this time around, you can retake in the summer. That would be your best route to getting an offer.
Btecs are fine sorry I assumed you were doing a levels. You should apply and see what happens I had uni offers even if I didn't meet entry requirements. I assure you that your gcses won't stop you from going to uni. Your more recent exams (btecs) should be considered as more important.

Was it specifically your GCSE Maths or English that didn't meet the entry requirements?
Reply 19
So its not the end of the world and you can retake next summer.
You can also do functional skills which a reasonable number of unis accept. You can also sit those exams more often.

yeah but i’m desperate to get into a 2021 course :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending