The Student Room Group

Going home for lockdown

I've made the decision to go home for lockdown from uni as I think I would struggle so much that I would get to the point of hating uni. I feel better about the situation now that I know I'm going home, although it does bother me that lots of other people are staying and are seemingly coping better than me? I think i'll be the only one in my flat that is going home and although we aren't super close as a flat, I'm worried about missing out on things?
I'm really trying to just focus on what I need and not be influenced by what others are doing but it's hard! Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
I've made the decision to go home for lockdown from uni as I think I would struggle so much that I would get to the point of hating uni. I feel better about the situation now that I know I'm going home, although it does bother me that lots of other people are staying and are seemingly coping better than me? I think i'll be the only one in my flat that is going home and although we aren't super close as a flat, I'm worried about missing out on things?
I'm really trying to just focus on what I need and not be influenced by what others are doing but it's hard! Any advice?

Once you tell everyone you're leaving some of them might decide to do the same? I think its good for you to be thinking about yourself because it could be next year by the time you get to see your family again, so it's best to prioritise those who will get you through this :smile:

You also won't miss out on much because everything is shut for at least a month, so its gonna get pretty boring and everyone's going to fall out/get sick of eachother by the time this is over
Reply 2
Original post by A.Peters0797
Once you tell everyone you're leaving some of them might decide to do the same? I think its good for you to be thinking about yourself because it could be next year by the time you get to see your family again, so it's best to prioritise those who will get you through this :smile:

You also won't miss out on much because everything is shut for at least a month, so its gonna get pretty boring and everyone's going to fall out/get sick of eachother by the time this is over

Yeah, I do think being at home is the way i'm going to be able to get through this! And I know there is no set way of 'doing' university so I shouldn't feel like I'm doing it wrong but it's hard because it's obviously not the way I imagined my first term going!
Yeah, I do think being at home is the way i'm going to be able to get through this! And I know there is no set way of 'doing' university so I shouldn't feel like I'm doing it wrong but it's hard because it's obviously not the way I imagined my first term going!

Yeah I completely understand, and props to you for going ahead with your studies this year with all of this uncertainty! :smile: There's definitely no set way of doing things - I stayed in uni accommodation for a year and then decided to move out and travel from home (which was a 3 hour commute everyday), and this was years before a pandemic! Funnily enough, I felt the need to move out, and as soon as the time came to do so I felt so much regret because there were good times, but for the most part my mental health was plummeting and being at home was the best option for me, and I'm sure it will be for you too :smile:

If you decide to move back to your university location, you can always consider staying in a new home with first/second/third year students in private student accommodation so that you can start fresh with new people?
gud luck
Just pretend it was as if you were living at home initially - that way you’ll be in more or less the same position as the commuters and you won’t have lost out on anything more than they have.
With respect to your flat mates and leaving them, you can just pretend it’s like going home for reading week or a short break - my friend regularly goes home to see her parents every now and then so it’s not a major issue with regards to missing out.
Reply 6
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Just pretend it was as if you were living at home initially - that way you’ll be in more or less the same position as the commuters and you won’t have lost out on anything more than they have.
With respect to your flat mates and leaving them, you can just pretend it’s like going home for reading week or a short break - my friend regularly goes home to see her parents every now and then so it’s not a major issue with regards to missing out.

Yeah I definitely need to see it as a short temporary thing! It’s defo the right think for me to do but hard because none of my friends from home are coming back so makes me feel like I’m the only one that can’t handle it :/
Yeah I definitely need to see it as a short temporary thing! It’s defo the right think for me to do but hard because none of my friends from home are coming back so makes me feel like I’m the only one that can’t handle it :/

Don’t think about it like that, everyone copes differently with different situations, everyone has different coping mechanisms and different stress-relievers etc. For example, It might be that they might not want to go home - some people don’t like their family and see uni as a means of escape.
As long as you do what’s best for you, then you are coping just as well as they are.
Reply 8
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Don’t think about it like that, everyone copes differently with different situations, everyone has different coping mechanisms and different stress-relievers etc. For example, It might be that they might not want to go home - some people don’t like their family and see uni as a means of escape.
As long as you do what’s best for you, then you are coping just as well as they are.

Thank you, that’s really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest