The Student Room Group

Going home for lockdown

Just curious if anyone is thinking of returning home for the lockdown?

I'm currently at home isolating rn and dont know if there's any point going back up or just staying home until after Christmas. Especially if the government want us to self isolate before Christmas- really not keen on my flatmates:///

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm thinking the same thing I've booked train tickets to go home for my reading week but I don't know if I'll just end up staying at home for lockdown. But I also don't know if my trains will still be running.
I am heading home tomorrow (this was arranged before Thursday's announcement) as I have a funeral to attend. I'll more than likely remain at home for the foreseeable future. I cannot envision lockdown being lifted after four weeks, if anything I think it will be prolonged until at least the new year. I too will probably stay at home until semester two.
People going home have your courses moved completely online or are you just going to miss some things? I haven't heard anything about whether my course will move online yet or not.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
People going home have your courses moved completely online or are you just going to miss some things? I haven't heard anything about whether my course will move online yet or not.

Mine hasn't officially but its been designed so you don't miss out on anything if you do it online. I'm at Bristol and so many were isolating so they had to make sure you don't really miss out if you can't attend lectures!
Original post by Anonymous
Just curious if anyone is thinking of returning home for the lockdown?

I'm currently at home isolating rn and dont know if there's any point going back up or just staying home until after Christmas. Especially if the government want us to self isolate before Christmas- really not keen on my flatmates:///

Hiya!

I think what is most important is your happiness and comfort so do what your gut is telling you! We are all in the unknown about if the lockdown will be just 4 weeks so make sure the option you chose is where you will be most comfortable for possibly quite a long period of time.

Write a pros and cons list to balance out your thoughts and speak to friends and family to see what they advise. :smile:

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Yes Im going home. Even before the lockdown was announced my entire course was pretty much all online (only 5 in-person sessions over the 10 weeks of term), so I'm not missing out on anything academically. Socially, there are no in-person society events either. So this year sucks
What about Autumn Term exams? Can they be taken online?
Original post by A_Winter

Last summer uni exams were taken online so I’m sure Autumn exams could be taken online too for most subjects
I think all courses should be online at least until Easter, except for nursing, other medicine and perhaps a few others, and so every student should have the option of returning to their family home.
Original post by harrysbar
Last summer uni exams were taken online so I’m sure Autumn exams could be taken online too for most subjects

Oh okay. I have a few essays due before December so could I just submit them online too?
Oh okay. I have a few essays due before December so could I just submit them online too?

Ask your course convenors - everything is online for me but it will be different across unis and courses.

You need to ask your university this question.

If you're choosing not to attend a timetabled exam without a medical or mental health reason then your university *might* require you to suspend your studies. It should be clear in your course handbook or the information from your university about whether you'll be allowed to move to 100% distance learning by choice.
Original post by barnetlad
I think all courses should be online at least until Easter, except for nursing, other medicine and perhaps a few others, and so every student should have the option of returning to their family home.

If practical sessions are socially distanced and there's no evidence of on campus spread of covid then why would those sessions be cancelled?

The government has asked universities to "consider moving to increased levels of online learning where possible."

They've also stated explicitly:

If you live at university, you must not move back and forward between your permanent home and student home during term time. You should only return home at the end of term for Christmas.

If universities shut down all in person teaching outside of a handful of courses then more students are going to risk spreading covid to their families by moving home early.

OP/people thinking of moving home: if you're thinking of moving home then PLEASE self isolate in your uni accommodation for a week or so before you travel. Travel to move home has NEVER been banned during lockdown - you don't need to rush home before Thursday and risk your family. Make sure you're not carrying the virus asymptomatically before you move home (and only do so if you've checked with your university that you'll be able to complete your work for the term remotely).
Original post by PQ
If practical sessions are socially distanced and there's no evidence of on campus spread of covid then why would those sessions be cancelled?

The government has asked universities to "consider moving to increased levels of online learning where possible."

They've also stated explicitly:

If you live at university, you must not move back and forward between your permanent home and student home during term time. You should only return home at the end of term for Christmas.

If universities shut down all in person teaching outside of a handful of courses then more students are going to risk spreading covid to their families by moving home early.

OP/people thinking of moving home: if you're thinking of moving home then PLEASE self isolate in your uni accommodation for a week or so before you travel. Travel to move home has NEVER been banned during lockdown - you don't need to rush home before Thursday and risk your family. Make sure you're not carrying the virus asymptomatically before you move home (and only do so if you've checked with your university that you'll be able to complete your work for the term remotely).

It should not be 'consider', it should be something such as 'be online unless this cannot be done, such as nursing and medical studies'. I can 'consider' whether or not to run down the hill, but I am not going to.
i went home for the weekend before lockdown was announced. i emailed them on monday becuase its now safer for me to stay where i am than to travel back just for a lockdown. they wont let me go remote. i only have 3 hours a week in person and one of those this week and next is online anyway due to covid.

im staying where i am whatever they say, im still doing all the work i can do just from here and not at my uni.
Original post by barnetlad
It should not be 'consider', it should be something such as 'be online unless this cannot be done, such as nursing and medical studies'. I can 'consider' whether or not to run down the hill, but I am not going to.

"be online unless this cannot be done" is literally the way that universities have planned the timetables and curriculum this year. That's why little to nothing is changing apart from a few "nice to have" in person teaching or practical sessions that universities *might* choose to cancel or reschedule depending on the levels of infection in the local area.
Original post by comingupforair
i went home for the weekend before lockdown was announced. i emailed them on monday becuase its now safer for me to stay where i am than to travel back just for a lockdown. they wont let me go remote. i only have 3 hours a week in person and one of those this week and next is online anyway due to covid.

im staying where i am whatever they say, im still doing all the work i can do just from here and not at my uni.

what do you mean by "safer". If there's a medical reason that you should remain at home then you need to discuss that with your university. If you don't attend after being told attendance is required then they may well discipline you for non-attendance.
Original post by PQ
what do you mean by "safer". If there's a medical reason that you should remain at home then you need to discuss that with your university. If you don't attend after being told attendance is required then they may well discipline you for non-attendance.

Why should a university have any say in where they choose to study? Students are charged as customers so they should be treated as customers.
I am going home for lockdown, might return after Christmas. I have broken my lease for my student accommodation, if I want to go back I will rent something else. I don't see a point in paying lots of money for student accommodation if I can do everything online might as well save some money.

Quick Reply

Latest