The Student Room Group

Changing A Levels half a term in

I do art geography English and biology and I want to drop English and biology and pick up psychology. The problem with doing this is I will be half a terms worth of work behind in psychology, so I will need to catch up with a lot of work. My teachers are saying I shouldn't pick up psychology, but I really want to because I really reallyyyyy don't like bio or english. Both my parents are psychologists so can help me, and with lockdown coming up I will not be leaving my house anyway- so Ill have to work. I am so much more interested in psychology and I think I will be able to catch up. What do people think???? (I got an A in all sciences and an A in maths so I do have the grades I need to do psychology).
I think you should do it. My friend dropped Bio in December of her Year 12 and managed to catch up just fine.
You will have to work VERY hard to catch up but at the end of the day it's better to study subjects you actually enjoy.
Reply 2
Original post by chloenix
I think you should do it. My friend dropped Bio in December of her Year 12 and managed to catch up just fine.
You will have to work VERY hard to catch up but at the end of the day it's better to study subjects you actually enjoy.

thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by chloenix

did your friend pick up drop bio and pick up psychology?
Original post by izzy.vr
did your friend pick up drop bio and pick up psychology?

No she dropped bio and picked up geography. But she finds psychology fairly easy as a subject, and you will find it easier with your parents. You'll be fine.
Original post by izzy.vr
I do art geography English and biology and I want to drop English and biology and pick up psychology. The problem with doing this is I will be half a terms worth of work behind in psychology, so I will need to catch up with a lot of work. My teachers are saying I shouldn't pick up psychology, but I really want to because I really reallyyyyy don't like bio or english. Both my parents are psychologists so can help me, and with lockdown coming up I will not be leaving my house anyway- so Ill have to work. I am so much more interested in psychology and I think I will be able to catch up. What do people think???? (I got an A in all sciences and an A in maths so I do have the grades I need to do psychology).

I think it's unlikely your school will let you pick up a new subject at this late stage - the school I work at wouldn't allow it anyway apart from for a small number of subjects like Art or Photography. Talk to your Head of Sixth form about it but you have already missed a lot of work.

If they won't allow it I think you should drop the subject you hate most out of English and Biology because you don't need 3 A level subjects for uni and doing 3 will make you life a lot easier. Incidentally, you will still be able to study Psychology at uni if you want to with Biology A level and most unis count Georgraphy as a Science for Psychology admission purposes too.
Reply 6
I knew a friend last year who changed all three A-levels at this point an picked new ones. She had a lot of work to do and catch up but it was right for her and because she enjoyed the subjects more it wasn’t as bad. Don’t be scared to swap - two years doing something you don’t enjoy won’t be a lot of fun!!
Original post by Hannie0
I knew a friend last year who changed all three A-levels at this point an picked new ones. She had a lot of work to do and catch up but it was right for her and because she enjoyed the subjects more it wasn’t as bad. Don’t be scared to swap - two years doing something you don’t enjoy won’t be a lot of fun!!

What 3 new subjects did she pick up in November?
Reply 8
Religious studies, history and politics
So all very content and essay based
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Hannie0
Religious studies, history and politics
So all very content and essay based

That wouldn't be allowed at most schools - I wonder if @izzy.vr managed to swap?
Reply 10
Original post by harrysbar
That wouldn't be allowed at most schools - I wonder if @izzy.vr managed to swap?

I'm having a meeting with the teachers next week. Lets hope I can
Reply 11
Thanks everyone for the advice, I ended picking up Psychology the very end of December and have got all A* grades in the exams i've done:smile: would recommend people to change subjects If they don't like the subjects they are studying. Was a lot of work to do but I am so happy I did it.

Quick Reply

Latest