The Student Room Group

CIFA fraud marker and student loan

Tg
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Omk123
I think I might have a cifa fraud marker on my name as my old Barclays account closed 3 years ago due to suspected fraud. Now I’m 18 and I need an account for student loan I have applied for NatWest and HSBC and have been declined and when I called Barclays to see what was going on they said my account is closed and they can’t see anything and I’ll have to call Experian and get a credit report which I have currently done and still awaiting reply. Any advice tips in case I can’t open an account

You might have? Surely you know whether you let someone use your account or not? Try Monzo. No High st bank will take you.
Original post by 999tigger
You might have? Surely you know whether you let someone use your account or not? Try Monzo. No High st bank will take you.

Monzo no longer give banks to people with Cifas markers
Best to open one with revolut
Original post by Dexter345
Monzo no longer give banks to people with Cifas markers

MMm ok. I know they had started refusing some people. Was there an announcement which said no to everyone?
MMm ok. I know they had started refusing some people. Was there an announcement which said no to everyone?

I’m not 100% sure but from what I’ve heard people with cat 6 cifas markers have been getting rejected so I’m guessing it’s for everyone with a cat 6 which is what op probably has
Original post by Omk123
I think I might have a cifa fraud marker on my name as my old Barclays account closed 3 years ago due to suspected fraud. Now I’m 18 and I need an account for student loan I have applied for NatWest and HSBC and have been declined and when I called Barclays to see what was going on they said my account is closed and they can’t see anything and I’ll have to call Experian and get a credit report which I have currently done and still awaiting reply. Any advice tips in case I can’t open an account

It’s defo cifas then apply for a prepaid card they don’t require credit checks
Reply 7

I’ll try
Reply 8
Original post by Omk123

Do you think it’s possible to get the marker removed
Original post by Omk123

Keep complaining banks don’t like that
Reply 10
Original post by Omk123

No, there was a reason it was put in place and from what I’ve read almost nobody has had it removed. You will have to out up with it and never do something so stupid again so you don’t get this problem.
Reply 11
Original post by struggler07
Name change only way I think

Changing your name to avoid a mark is fraud or some other crime I think because you are trying to circumvent a mark against your name.
They wouldn’t have any evidence your a new person on a new database they wouldn’t care

And how would you have any id for this name change to prove who you are to the bank?
They wouldn’t have any evidence your a new person on a new database they wouldn’t care

As Bio pointed out that is a fraud in itself.
They would also struggl;e to provide the evidence to establish who they are.
Reply 14

You underestimate how much they will care about someone using a false ID to commit fraud. Your ideas here are illegal and you should not try recommending them.
"Aye I'll change my name, I'm sure the bank and fraud agencies will never have ****ing thought of that one" FFS some people :tongue:
Original post by Bio 7
Changing your name to avoid a mark is fraud or some other crime I think because you are trying to circumvent a mark against your name.

Can’t you change your name on your passport
Original post by StriderHort
"Aye I'll change my name, I'm sure the bank and fraud agencies will never have ****ing thought of that one" FFS some people :tongue:

Or just keep making complaints to the bank
Reply 18
Can’t you change your name on your passport

Yes but that's not fraud. Using a new name to avoid a debt, criminal charge and other similar things is.
Original post by GabiAbi84
And how would you have any id for this name change to prove who you are to the bank?

Can’t you change your name on a passport

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending