The Student Room Group

Using examiner reports

I was wondering how to use examiner reports to help tailor my answers for the best marks? Any tips on how anyone used them would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Jackm 123
I was wondering how to use examiner reports to help tailor my answers for the best marks? Any tips on how anyone used them would be appreciated.

First read the questions carefully and write down all the answers of your own. Then read the examiner report word by word carefully. Also observe how the sample answers given there are written and also go through the common mistakes that other students are doing, you’ll find them in many examiner reports. Now you won’t do the common mistakes in the exam. Also don’t forget to check your answers with the mark schemes.
Hey.

Read the entire report carefully. Make sure that you understand everything or request clarification if not. Note how well the other students in other schools elsewhere across the country have done and how they attempted to answer each exam question too. Use that to your advantage fully. Then look at the mark scheme afterwards. Also highlight any key details in case. Read deeper beyond the lines of the published report, are pupils answering all the questions properly to their best ability? Or are they losing marks?
Reply 3
Original post by Adera
First read the questions carefully and write down all the answers of your own. Then read the examiner report word by word carefully. Also observe how the sample answers given there are written and also go through the common mistakes that other students are doing, you’ll find them in many examiner reports. Now you won’t do the common mistakes in the exam. Also don’t forget to check your answers with the mark schemes.

Thank you
Reply 4
Original post by tinygirl96
Hey.

Read the entire report carefully. Make sure that you understand everything or request clarification if not. Note how well the other students in other schools elsewhere across the country have done and how they attempted to answer each exam question too. Use that to your advantage fully. Then look at the mark scheme afterwards. Also highlight any key details in case. Read deeper beyond the lines of the published report, are pupils answering all the questions properly to their best ability? Or are they losing marks?

Thank you
np
Also what is the report also telling you about the difficulty level of the exam paper? I like to categorise exam papers into three difficulty levels, easy, medium level, and hard. If you go beyond the obvious, you will find out a lot more. Use that information to your advantage when revising for the exam.
For example if you happen to read a old maths legacy exam report, consider how overall student performance was like on the paper and adjust your expectations and revision accordingly too. Likewise if you are looking at a recently released history exam performance report then again pay attention to what is being implied by the examiner. Reflect on the content of the report as well. Remember that often many pupils in schools located in different areas will always take the same exams at the end of the day.
To give you a further clue, focus on deeper hidden implications for the school. No examiner will prepare a exam analysis report that is overwhelmingly positive or negative either. In other words, concentrate on areas of strengths and weaknesses. I have read some exam performance reports before in order to know what to do and what not to do like you. It helps if you automatically hone in what has not been said whilst reading it.
Reply 7
Original post by tinygirl96
Also what is the report also telling you about the difficulty level of the exam paper? I like to categorise exam papers into three difficulty levels, easy, medium level, and hard. If you go beyond the obvious, you will find out a lot more. Use that information to your advantage when revising for the exam.
For example if you happen to read a old maths legacy exam report, consider how overall student performance was like on the paper and adjust your expectations and revision accordingly too. Likewise if you are looking at a recently released history exam performance report then again pay attention to what is being implied by the examiner. Reflect on the content of the report as well. Remember that often many pupils in schools located in different areas will always take the same exams at the end of the day.
To give you a further clue, focus on deeper hidden implications for the school. No examiner will prepare a exam analysis report that is overwhelmingly positive or negative either. In other words, concentrate on areas of strengths and weaknesses. I have read some exam performance reports before in order to know what to do and what not to do like you. It helps if you automatically hone in what has not been said whilst reading it.

Okay thank you so much for the help :smile:
Original post by Jackm 123

What I would do is once u have done a paper, mark it and then go through the examiners report. Highlight areas where they mention students went wrong the most and annotate your exam paper with the different techniques students use and the relative successes of each. The report tells you how successful the students were at answering the questions and tackling the paper, I think in the beginning there is a paragraph giving an overview of the cohorts performance on the paper and whether it was deemed a 'difficult paper' or one in line with previous years.

Quick Reply

Latest